Skip to content

Two parties for a "time-attack" run, which should I pick?

MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
I'm trying to figure out how I could complete a "time-attack" run for fun.
However this "time attack" will not be counting in real time, but game time, which, in fact could make my life harder because it means I will not be able to rest at all during almost all of the game, each rest burning 8h in game

Without any regular rest, many classes suddently drop out in interest, as you can't replenish spells or abilities until you can perhaps cheese out some recovery with the abuse of level 9 spells
Especialy the Wish:Rest one... which makes most classes useless until "epic" levels

After sorting them out, I theorized 2 very different party for this run:

Party 1 : The Spellbreakers

Based on the idea to defend against ennemy spellcaster by putting in front of them a party with an insane total of magic resistance, and a Wizard Slayer protagonist to disable spellcasters

- WS Protagonist: 84% from class + 10% from IBS* + 10% from hell trials = 104% MR
- Rasaad: 78% from class + 10% from IBS* + 5% from Lum's Machine + 10% from amulet of the Seldaring = 103% MR
- Viconia: 65% from race + 10% from IBS* + 15% from Silver Dragon Plate + 5% of holy symbol + 5% of shield of Lost = 100% MR
- Haer'Dalis: 10% from IBS* + 50% from Carsomyr through UAI + 20% from Armor of Flesh + 10% from Ring of Gaxx +10% from Kaligun's Amulet = 100% MR

(* IBS = Improved Bard Song, the Bard HLA)

That's 4 characters that will end with a 100% MR, and a protagonist which disable spellcasting on each hit. The party will have to be careful with traps, however, as it can't disable them... and the only way to recover HP will be regeneration items

Party 2: The Strikers

Based on the idea of exploited the Shadowdancer class as a perpetual machine, chain backstabing before the 3.000.000xp cap, then abusing of Shadow Clone to copy Wish scrolls and allow everyone to get back their abilities like GWW and Lay on Hands

- Shadowdancer protagonist, using backstabbing weapons and Cloak of Whispers
- Rasaad for frontline tanking
- Keldorn with Carsomyr to flank spellcaster
- Mazzy with Crom Frayer and Belm
- perhaps one more to wiel the Fire Tooth dagger

Which one seems to be the most suited/interesting for you?
Post edited by Moonheart on

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Took me a minute to figure out what EBS stood for (We usually say IBS for Improved Bard Song)
    Your WS will not be able to use amulet of power. He can however use armors, which means Enkidu's Plate or Silver Dragon Scale will complete what you need. Oh and I believe you get 84% of innate MR as a WS (19% from the 19 first levels, then 5%/1% alternatively on even/odd. In the end, 19%+11*5%+ 10*1%=84%)
    You certainly want to consider shield of Fyrus Khal for this run (Give it to Viconia), as it gives a 5%MR aura and robe of Vecna for Haer'Dalis (since human flesh disable spells).
    Rasaad would not need the MoLtM buff, and giving it to Haer'Dalis instead would allow him to reach 100% again (compared to your setup, he'd lose 10% by picking robe of Vecna over Human Flash, but would get 5% from MoLtM and 5% from the aura of the Shield).

You certainly want to reconsider your "no sleep" thing, at least partly, because being exhausted will give cumulative maluses up to a point that you will never hit enemies without crits and your saving throws will never work (the malus on all throws due to being tired are +2 after 24h of ingame time,+1 per hour beyond 24th hour, or something like that)
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for all the input, I'm going to edit everything to make it accurate

However, Rasaad needs the MoLtM buff, because his natural MR caps to 78%
    Hear'Dalis spells can be disabled by the Armor of Flesh, but who cares, since he cannot restore them anyway
    The aura Shield of Fyrus Khal as a ridiculous range so it is better to not rely on it at all (10' is close to nothing, 2 steps forward, you'rre out of range)

I didn't know for the fatigue cumulative effects... you're true, it screws everything. I'll be unable to do anything after a few days, alas, so it's probably an unplayable idea... :(
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Are you ruling out custom party
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    So you're going for shortest in game time, avoiding resting as much as possible?

I'd probably recommend swapping the Wizard Slayer PC into the second party. It's a lot more melee heavy and will cut through things faster. Keldorn will have to be very conservative with his True Sight and Dispel Magic. I'm not sure how easily you could obtain Carsomyr for him though.

The first party will need to rest more frequently. Viconia has limited spell slots and doesn't bring a ton to the table otherwise. You don't have Haer'Dalis using his spells, but even so he'll run out of Offensive/Defensive Spins. Rasaad seems like a solid choice for any party.
    @FinneousPJ: if by 'custom party', you mean don't play the normal way to have more than one generated character, the answer is yes, I'm ruling it out

@Pteran: Each rest is 8 more hours in game time, so, yes, the plan was to not rest at all.
    Problem is, as Arusun told above, if I don't rest at all the fatigue will just cumulate and render powerless all my...

The only way to remove fatigue without spend 8h of game time is to use Wish.
    However, this is a spell that was added with ToB, so it doesn't exist a single scroll of it in the first 7 chapter of BG2.
    So... *sigh* I don't see a solution to this... I'm going to seek another idea of playthrough
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    You could just rest only when absolutely necessary. With high Constitution characters this will happen less frequently. Even so, I don't think a few power naps is going to ruin the experience for you. If the fatigue builds up over time like that, then obviously even the quickest of players will have to hit the rest button occasionally.
    I'm quite sure no rest has been done
    No rest in dungeons, probably. No rest at all, I don't think so
    I do think so.
    edited June 2016
    Alright, then.