Skip to content

Did I make a mistake?

I installed Big World Setup on BG2EE with recommended settings. I've been having a great time with all the mods, but after a few good hours of playing I realized that the recommended mod install has the following:

1. Adjust XP for Quests - Decrease xp for quests to 75%
2. Adjust XP for killing monsters - Decrease to 75%

Will these gimp me at all, and how badly if so? I don't know why the come ticked by default.

If you recommend I remove it, can I use the same save file with a reinstalled mod setup minus the above two tweaks?

Comments

• jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    edited June 2016
    Never played with this but I'd imagine it'd make things feel more balanced if you aren't playing with SCS or other difficulty mods. You should be okay if you *only* remove those (though I don't know how they're implemented).

The game can get boring if it's too easy, and this will prevent you from getting HLAs super duper early if you're completionist. That's probably why they come ticked by default; it slows you somewhat but doesn't do artificial things like capping you at the Soa level cap before ToB, which is just frustrating. I wouldn't do this with other balance mods (Item and Spell Revisions) and SCS, but with the normal game it's more than fine.
  • Sil3nthunterSil3nthunter Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a bunch for the reply. Unfortunately I'm playing with SCS IR and SR but I don't mind the higher difficulty.

I guess my main fear is that in the long run I wont be able to reach the same level as what someone would normally reach without the tweaks.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    That does seem a bit odd. I usually end the game with just over 6 million experience. With SOD installed, I expect to end up closer to 6.5 million (I haven't quite finished a full playthrough of everything yet). That means that with 75% monster and quest experience, you'll probably end up somewhere around 4.5-5 million, depending on whether you've gone through BG1 and SOD or whether you just started fresh in BG2. That's enough to get everything of consequence for all single-classed characters in the game, but it's not enough to hit some major milestones for multiclassed mages and druids.
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171

Thanks a bunch for the reply. Unfortunately I'm playing with SCS IR and SR but I don't mind the higher difficulty.

I guess my main fear is that in the long run I wont be able to reach the same level as what someone would normally reach without the tweaks.

That's how I play. I'd remove that then. Or, at milestones, if it doesn't seem to work (MAKE A BACKUP OF THE GAME), just console in your XP.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If you want an increased challenge it makes sense to limit XP