Skip to content

Can't dispel Globe of invulnerability

AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
edited June 2016 in Troubleshooting
In the attached save, Keldorn enters the adjacent room and finds a lich. The lich casts Globe of invulnerability, Mirror Image and Improved Mantle. Keldorn uses Carsomyr to attack the lich.

According to the manual, Globe of Invulnerability can be dispelled. I don't know which level the lich is, but Carsomyr dispels at level 30 when it hits, so it must have very nice chances of dispelling, even with a lich. However, it doesn't dispel Globe of invulnerability. I've tried this several times and the result is always the same: When Keldorn hits, all the other spell protections are dispelled, but the globe remains there. Keldorn keeps hitting until the lich dies, but the globe doesn't go.

What's going on?
Post edited by Alonso on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    so I just played your file there ( interesting set up I must say) and I've noticed the same effect, carsomyr will dispel everything except for the globe of invulnerability, now I loaded up another save that had the spell description for that spell, and it doesn't say anywhere that dispel magic will get rid of it, it looks like you need to use pierce magic, pierce shield or spell strike to take it down
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    The manual says it can be dispelled:
    The globe can be brought down by a successful Dispel Magic spell.
    By the way, what do you find interesting about my setup?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Alonso said:

What if Keldorn casts the dispel magic?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Unfortunately, the manual is incorrect in this instance. Dispel Magic will take down combat protection spells (Stoneskin, Protection from Weapons) but not spell protection spells (Globe, Spell Turning, etc)
    mf2112AlonsoJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    edited June 2016
    elminster said:

Unfortunately, the manual is incorrect in this instance. Dispel Magic will take down combat protection spells (Stoneskin, Protection from Weapons) but not spell protection spells (Globe, Spell Turning, etc)

Yeah, I just read the description of Dispel Magic and it confirms that: "It does not, however, affect
    enchanted magical items or spell protections such as Spell Turning and Spell Deflection".

Redmined here.
    mf2112CrevsDaak
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Alonso said:

when the manual says the globe can be taken down by a dispel magic did you read "minor globe of invulnerability" or "globe of invulnerability" because I read the spell description in game and globe of invulnerability says nothing about being able to be dispelled by dispel magic

and the thing that I find interesting about your team, is just your general setup, how you made minsc go ranged, how you manage your inventory ( inventory management always interests me on how other people do it, because when I do it im hardcore insane OCD when I manage inventory so everyone else's looks so different from mine) plus I find it interesting how you have the holy avenger at such a low level, good effort on your part

and then lastly I tried using the dispel magic with keldorn a couple of times, but the problem is, keldorn is still to low of a level for sweet stuff to happen, even though keldorn is level 10, he counts as a level 20 caster when it comes to dispel magic, and liches are either level 21 or leve 23 ( I think they are level 21) so at best he has a 40% chance to dispel stuff and liches are immune to spells of 5th level or lower, as I said I tried a couple of times to dispel magic on the lich and nothing happened, im going to assume its because of the lich's spell immunity to level 5 spells and lower causing the failure
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited June 2016
    sarevok57 said:

and then lastly I tried using the dispel magic with keldorn a couple of times, but the problem is, keldorn is still to low of a level for sweet stuff to happen, even though keldorn is level 10, he counts as a level 20 caster when it comes to dispel magic, and liches are either level 21 or leve 23 ( I think they are level 21) so at best he has a 40% chance to dispel stuff and liches are immune to spells of 5th level or lower, as I said I tried a couple of times to dispel magic on the lich and nothing happened, im going to assume its because of the lich's spell immunity to level 5 spells and lower causing the failure

I believe I read someone here saying that dispel magic could still work on liches as it didn't get restricted by their spell level immunity. I can't recall trying it, but you are right about the lich level, it would be challenging depending on the players level.
    Post edited by mf2112 on
    sarevok57 said:

when the manual says the globe can be taken down by a dispel magic did you read "minor globe of invulnerability" or "globe of invulnerability" because I read the spell description in game and globe of invulnerability says nothing about being able to be dispelled by dispel magic

The manual says both can be dispelled. Pages 99 and 120.
    sarevok57 said:

how you made minsc go ranged

I don't really make him go ranged. It's just that I use my blade to tank. With Defensive spin, Stoneskin, and optionally some more buffing, a blade is essentially immune to physical damage. In the first assault of a combat the bard moves to the front to tank while Keldorn and Minsc make ranged attacks. Once all the enemies are focused on the bard, Minsc and Keldorn move to the front and do their thing.
    sarevok57 said:

I tried a couple of times to dispel magic on the lich and nothing happened, im going to assume its because of the lich's spell immunity to level 5 spells and lower causing the failure

Maybe you were unlucky. I tried a few times and Keldorn did eventually dispel the lich's protection with his Dispel Magic skill. All except the Globe of Invulnerability, as expected.
    sarevok57CrevsDaak