Skip to content

What the Heck are Dorn and Viconia Talking About?

There is a dialogue between Dorn and Viconia that I have never been able to figure out. It goes like this:
Viconia: So here we are again. The distrusted, much-loathed outsiders.
Dorn: Say what you will about (PC name), she's no fool.
Viconia: You say only fools would trust us?
Dorn: Only fools would trust us to go against our best interests.
Viconia: Then we're in the company of fools, I fear.
Dorn: They're fortunate that we're here to guide them.
Viconia: But what will we guide them to?
Dorn: Victory and power. What else is there?
Viconia: There's love.
Dorn: Love? Have you lost your mind, you-
Dorn: Ah, I get it now.
Viconia: I had you going, though.
Dorn: You did, I admit it.
Viconia: I can't believe you fell for that.
Dorn: I guess I'm just a fool for love.
Viconia: A fool, at any rate.
Dorn: Have mercy, drow! I admitted you got me.
Viconia: I'll show you as much mercy as you show your enemies.
Dorn: Gods help me, I'm doomed.

So, is Dorn admitting that he's going against his natural self (best interests) by being in love with the player character? Or, what? I feel like an idiot, but I'm just not sure what this conversation is saying?

Comments

• MMMMKMMMMK Member Posts: 30
    Yeah, looks like Viconia is just joking with him.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Viconia was pulling Dorn's leg. Figuratively. Not literally. (If you see, where I am going with this)
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    edited June 2016
    Wow that was not particularly well written. A bit sophomoric.

"I had you going, though" does not sound like something Viconia would say.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Vbibbi said:

Why not? It's like she's picked up a few phrases from folks in the Sword Coast area, right?

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Except for that Viconia is not the type of person who would unironically use phrases by "stupid surface-dwellers".

Vbibbi said:

Why not? It's like she's picked up a few phrases from folks in the Sword Coast area, right?

But she didn't in her vanilla dialogue. She often resorted to speaking Drow instead, and IMO her Common dialogue was slightly formal.
    Vbibbi said:

Vbibbi said:

But she didn't in her vanilla dialogue. She often resorted to speaking Drow instead, and IMO her Common dialogue was slightly formal.
    What's the harm in doing it here?
    Right, no harm in it, but this forum is about feedback as much as anything else. And I think Beamdog would want their new content in the games to be indistinguishable from the original content.

The character mods I like best are the ones which attempt the same writing style as the original BG2. The mods which are usually less well thought of are the ones which are obviously extra content that doesn't quite mesh with the game, or have canon character speak or act out of character.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975

Except for that Viconia is not the type of person who would unironically use phrases by "stupid surface-dwellers".

But she might be the sort of person who could relax her guard around another distrusted, much-loathed outsider - maybe even loosen up and joke around a bit.

Ayiekie said:

But she might be the sort of person who could relax her guard around another distrusted, much-loathed outsider - maybe even loosen up and joke around a bit.

Yup, and that's the whole point. Dorn may stab her in the back later for she knows, but she's used to that idea. Drow are nothing if not pragmatic.

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Ayiekie said:

That's literally the opposite of the depiction of her character in bg2. I'd expect Anomen to remove the stick from his butt sooner than I'd expect Viconia to "loosen up and joke around a bit".

And we all know Anomen would only ever remove that stick to brag about how he totally killed three ogres with it that one time and saved his whole company and was given three medals for his valor and so on.
    scriver said:

That's literally the opposite of the depiction of her character in bg2.

Her character in BG2 (and BG1) is never in that situation. That was the entire point. Even if you romance her, charname doesn't share the same situation of being a distrusted, much-loathed outsider (for who and what they are).

Viconia and Dorn's conversation strikes me as sounding like the two of them are in a good mood and probably a fair bit into their cups. So Viconia lets the mask slip a little bit, in a way she doesn't with others.

It's a plausible extension to how she acts elsewhere to me. Or it could be that the editor was sloppy and let an inappropriate bit of colloquialism through - but I prefer to look and go "So why is this character saying/doing this" rather than point and go "There was not something like this in their previous dialogue/actions so this is clearly wrong".

In real life, I doubt there's anybody who ever lived, no matter how pompous or reserved, who didn't ease up and talk casually and easily with certain people. If Viconia never had that somebody in the original series, then it's just a pity they didn't make more of a point out of Dorn possibly being it.

(And while nobody's really complained about him, I liked Dorn clearly liking and respecting Viconia in this conversation. It makes sense that he might, given his motivations and backstory.)
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited June 2016
    Except Viconia is too proud for that. Viconia likes to manipulate, and refuses to let her guard down even if it's for her own best interests (she lies about her true intentions/feelings a lot, which makes sense since she's a cleric of Shar - lying is part of their dogma).

The only time she lets her guard down is when she's being arrogant or when she thinks she's in no immediate danger, like with Jan and the spider joke (she seems to see Jan as crass, eccentric and foolish). Most of her attempts at dialogue with other NPCs are attempts to assert her superiority/undermine theirs or gather information about them (like using insults to test their temperament). Her approach is similar to Hexxat's, except Viconia goes for intrigue and the shock factor. She's acting pretty much like she's still playing the Drow political game.
    Finally, Viconia has a flair for drama and prefers formal language.

If this conversation were to occur much more in character, it would go something along the lines of:
    Viconia: So... Dorn (or some flowery Drow language equivalent for a hulking barbarian). It seems we've been left to our own devices yet again - the distrusted, the loathed.
    Dorn: Say what you will about (PC name), but she's no fool.
    Viconia: Are you sure? Leaving us here with all this idle time - are we being given free reign to dally with our own twisted machinations?
    Dorn: Only fools would trust us to go against our best interests.
    Viconia: Then we are in the company of fools, I fear.
    Dorn: They're fortunate that we're here to guide them.
    Viconia: Indeed, jaluk? And to what end are we guiding them to?
    Dorn: Victory and power. What else is there?
    Viconia: Ah.
    (everything below is still pretty out of character)
    Viconia: But then, there's also love.
    Dorn: L-? Have you lost your mind, drow-
    Dorn: Ah, I get it now.
    Viconia: I... I did not...
    Dorn: You had me for a moment, I admit.
    Viconia: Really, jaluk? And why would-
    Dorn: I guess I'm just a fool for love.
    Viconia: ...
    Viconia: A fool, at any rate.
    Dorn: ...
    Dorn: Spare me, drow. We do not speak of this again.
    (uncomfortable silence at each's failed attempt at levity)
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    I too had a hard time following the dialogue. Viconia starts by attempting to incite discord in Dorn against the others by saying they are outcasts and then when he sticks up for charname she teases him for being in love. So just all around drama queen type stuff. Classic Viconia.

I do think that two lines are especially cringeworthy. "I had you going though." "I can't believe you fell for that." These are phrases to by used only by obnoxious 12yo boys. Only them. Its hard for me to read it any other way.
    Nuin said:

Except Viconia is too proud for that. Viconia likes to manipulate, and refuses to let her guard down even if it's for her own best interests (she lies about her true intentions/feelings a lot, which makes sense since she's a cleric of Shar - lying is part of their dogma).

And who says she isn't manipulating Dorn? You really could call it that.

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Nuin said:

Finally, Viconia has a flair for drama and prefers formal language.

I too had a hard time following the dialogue. Viconia starts by attempting to incite discord in Dorn against the others by saying they are outcasts and then when he sticks up for charname she teases him for being in love. So just all around drama queen type stuff. Classic Viconia.

I do think that two lines are especially cringeworthy. "I had you going though." "I can't believe you fell for that." These are phrases to by used only by obnoxious 12yo boys. Only them. Its hard for me to read it any other way.

^ This.

If anything, my main complaint about this banter is that it's so skeletal. It suits Dorn fine because he's a man of few words and speaks rather direct, but Victonia's definitely supposed to be more formal and dramatic. She needed better word choices to match her voice.

An extra word or two acknowledging the joke might have helped clarify the teasing nature of the conversation too. The fact that they used such few, simple words and sentences makes me suspect they were under a pretty strict word-count restriction when they wrote this.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    It's very poor writing - beyond being out of character for Viconia, it just lacks self-awareness; who speaks like that? It reads like teenage fanfiction, where in comparison the writing in the original game just fits so well you never think about it. This pops right out at you as a piece of writing. it's so artificial.

It's very poor writing - beyond being out of character for Viconia, it just lacks self-awareness; who speaks like that? It reads like teenage fanfiction, where in comparison the writing in the original game just fits so well you never think about it. This pops right out at you as a piece of writing. it's so artificial.

Oh yes, certainly.

"Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm!"

"Ah, yes. Stoke that infernal wrath of yours. I can feel the anger within you, boiling like a pit of sulphur in the crevices of your heart. You feel it, do you not? The taint that surrounds your soul like a serpent, squeezing it, spreading its venom... that taint, that wrath exists in all of the children of Bhaal, but few know how to use it."

"Eh... it would appear that... the great and... mighty Tiax... has shrunk his undergarments... three sizes this day."

"The sun shines, and I'm amazed we live to see another day!"

"It seems our resident suicide monger, Ajantis, lives in a black and white world."

"WHAT?! You were going to ask about my name, weren't you? Everyone wants to know about it, and you're probably no different! Well fine! Maple Willow Aspen IS my name and YES my parents were VERY fond of TREES! I am VERY aware of it, and NO don't want to hear ANY jokes about family trees and me being the SAP! Are you HAPPY NOW?!"

"I shall avenge each flower you might have trod on, and every leaf you might have shaken loose in your passing!"

"Why have you come? Is it to steal my riches? - or perhaps you seek to righteously punish me for my affront to your morality. It matters little, for you will do neither. Before I dispose of you in some horribly gruesome manner perhaps I should introduce myself. I am known as Davaeorn; I would ask you for your names but I care little to become acquainted with the dead."

"Hi, I'm Well-Adjusted Al, and my prices are sensible. I used to be called Crazy Al, but therapy has convinced me that selling plate armour for 3 gold pieces and a small duck was no way to get ahead in business."

Yes, there was absolutely nothing other than smooth dialogue that fits so well that you never think about it in the perfect edifice of the original games. None of that ever pops up as a piece of writing, since it is all such naturalistic dialogue that is totally naturally what natural people would say. "Before I dispose of you in some horribly gruesome manner", haw haw! Practically Shakespeare, except without all that tiresome iambic pentameter nonsense.

And if you wanted Viccy specifically, here you go:

"Then you are of no further interest to me, rivel... though I suspect your dreams will be filled with dark imaginings of the hedonistic pleasures you have denied yourself. But even your dreams will be but a pale shadow of my true decadence."

Most of her prose is pretty purple, but her hitting on Sarevok is almost physically painful to read. (Also I'd judge her saying "(sigh) So what else is new?" to be pretty colloquial.)
    Ayiekie said:

Oh yes, certainly.

"Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm!"

"Ah, yes. Stoke that infernal wrath of yours. I can feel the anger within you, boiling like a pit of sulphur in the crevices of your heart. You feel it, do you not? The taint that surrounds your soul like a serpent, squeezing it, spreading its venom... that taint, that wrath exists in all of the children of Bhaal, but few know how to use it."

"Eh... it would appear that... the great and... mighty Tiax... has shrunk his undergarments... three sizes this day."

"The sun shines, and I'm amazed we live to see another day!"

"It seems our resident suicide monger, Ajantis, lives in a black and white world."

"WHAT?! You were going to ask about my name, weren't you? Everyone wants to know about it, and you're probably no different! Well fine! Maple Willow Aspen IS my name and YES my parents were VERY fond of TREES! I am VERY aware of it, and NO don't want to hear ANY jokes about family trees and me being the SAP! Are you HAPPY NOW?!"

"I shall avenge each flower you might have trod on, and every leaf you might have shaken loose in your passing!"

"Why have you come? Is it to steal my riches? - or perhaps you seek to righteously punish me for my affront to your morality. It matters little, for you will do neither. Before I dispose of you in some horribly gruesome manner perhaps I should introduce myself. I am known as Davaeorn; I would ask you for your names but I care little to become acquainted with the dead."

"Hi, I'm Well-Adjusted Al, and my prices are sensible. I used to be called Crazy Al, but therapy has convinced me that selling plate armour for 3 gold pieces and a small duck was no way to get ahead in business."

Yes, there was absolutely nothing other than smooth dialogue that fits so well that you never think about it in the perfect edifice of the original games. None of that ever pops up as a piece of writing, since it is all such naturalistic dialogue that is totally naturally what natural people would say. "Before I dispose of you in some horribly gruesome manner", haw haw! Practically Shakespeare, except without all that tiresome iambic pentameter nonsense.

And if you wanted Viccy specifically, here you go:

"Then you are of no further interest to me, rivel... though I suspect your dreams will be filled with dark imaginings of the hedonistic pleasures you have denied yourself. But even your dreams will be but a pale shadow of my true decadence."

Most of her prose is pretty purple, but her hitting on Sarevok is almost physically painful to read. (Also I'd judge her saying "(sigh) So what else is new?" to be pretty colloquial.)
    Almost all of your examples are clearly comic exaggerations of D&D stereotypes. They are in the games to poke fun at the juvenile nature a lot of high fantasy writing has had. Apart from that second quote (Sarevok in the Hell trials?) and Davaeorn's speech, none of those quotes are meant to be taken at all seriously. And I would argue even Davaeorn's speech was riffing on mustache twirling scenery chewing villains.

More importantly, most of those quotes were from BG1. BG2 is much better known for its quality writing and characters, especially for the NPC banters. I think the BG1NPC project is one of the most popular mods for BG1 because it brings some of the best parts of BG2 to the game.

So we could even say that this banter feels more like BG1 writing level, which is why it stands out so much in BG2.

And the Viccy quote I agree is a bit silly. But it's silly in her style by still being overly dramatic and formal. If it had been more in this banter's style, it would go:

"But even your dreams won't match my true sensuality."

It's much more overt and simplified.
    edited June 2016
    Vbibbi said:

Almost all of your examples are clearly comic exaggerations of D&D stereotypes. They are in the games to poke fun at the juvenile nature a lot of high fantasy writing has had. Apart from that second quote (Sarevok in the Hell trials?) and Davaeorn's speech, none of those quotes are meant to be taken at all seriously. And I would argue even Davaeorn's speech was riffing on mustache twirling scenery chewing villains.

I'd say it's just not very good, because most of the writing in both games is not very good. It's amateurish, good for a video game in the 1990s but not good at all by modern standards. And when somebody says that the original games had writing so sublime that you never even notice it's writing, then the literally hundreds of examples to the contrary are kind of relevant.
    Vbibbi said:

More importantly, most of those quotes were from BG1. BG2 is much better known for its quality writing and characters, especially for the NPC banters. I think the BG1NPC project is one of the most popular mods for BG1 because it brings some of the best parts of BG2 to the game.

Like getting Faldorn completely out of character. forever bitter
    Vbibbi said:

So we could even say that this banter feels more like BG1 writing level, which is why it stands out so much in BG2.

Viccy's quote wasn't (neither was Maple, unless my memory fails me). I can find more shlocky writing from BG2 if you like, it's just easier to find BG1 quotes online and I didn't feel like poking around in the dialogue files.

I'd argue the writing in BG2 isn't so much better as it is doing something different than BG1 was doing. It was more writing-focused, and especially NPC interaction-focused.
    Vbibbi said:

And the Viccy quote I agree is a bit silly. But it's silly in her style by still being overly dramatic and formal. If it had been more in this banter's style, it would go:

Well, to be honest, that's a much better version of the line, because while still stilted and unnatural, at least it is not laughably so, and "sensuality" is a much better term for what she's getting at than "decadence". However, I wasn't specifically directly comparing the crappiness of Viconia dialogue.

In this case, the examples are more a counter to: "...where in comparison the writing in the original game just fits so well you never think about it. This pops right out at you as a piece of writing. it's so artificial."

The dialogue I quoted from Viccy is garbage. It's purple and awful and unnatural-sounding (and plays into tiresome drow dominatrix wankfodder cliches, but that's another matter). The sainted original games - even the thrice-sainted BG2! - have bad, schlocky dialogue. Not all of it, but not a miniscule percentage either. There is lots of stuff in the original games that "pops right out at you as a piece of writing" and is "so artificial". They are not perfect, and they should be looked at honestly if you're judging their writing, not through rose-tinted nostalgic goggles. That's the primary point here - nothing I quoted fits the description of the original games' writing as put by @DregothofTyr.
    Ayiekie said:

Vbibbi said:

I'd say it's just not very good, because most of the writing in both games is not very good. It's amateurish, good for a video game in the 1990s but not good at all by modern standards. And when somebody says that the original games had writing so sublime that you never even notice it's writing, then the literally hundreds of examples to the contrary are kind of relevant.
    Vbibbi said:

Like getting Faldorn completely out of character. forever bitter
    Vbibbi said:

Viccy's quote wasn't (neither was Maple, unless my memory fails me). I can find more shlocky writing from BG2 if you like, it's just easier to find BG1 quotes online and I didn't feel like poking around in the dialogue files.

I'd argue the writing in BG2 isn't so much better as it is doing something different than BG1 was doing. It was more writing-focused, and especially NPC interaction-focused.
    Vbibbi said:

Well, to be honest, that's a much better version of the line, because while still stilted and unnatural, at least it is not laughably so, and "sensuality" is a much better term for what she's getting at than "decadence". However, I wasn't specifically directly comparing the crappiness of Viconia dialogue.

In this case, the examples are more a counter to: "...where in comparison the writing in the original game just fits so well you never think about it. This pops right out at you as a piece of writing. it's so artificial."

The dialogue I quoted from Viccy is garbage. It's purple and awful and unnatural-sounding (and plays into tiresome drow dominatrix wankfodder cliches, but that's another matter). The sainted original games - even the thrice-sainted BG2! - have bad, schlocky dialogue. Not all of it, but not a miniscule percentage either. There is lots of stuff in the original games that "pops right out at you as a piece of writing" and is "so artificial". They are not perfect, and they should be looked at honestly if you're judging their writing, not through rose-tinted nostalgic goggles. That's the primary point here - nothing I quoted fits the description of the original games' writing as put by @DregothofTyr.
    There is definitely some bad writing and dialogue in both games, I'm not arguing that. I will argue that I think BG2's writing greatly improved over BG1's overall. And part of good writing is being consistent in tone, so even if there are weak parts to writing in BG2, the tone was usually consistent. But having this new dialogue completely breaks consistency for me.

If you feel that parts of the writing weren't great, at least they were consistently not great (lol) and matched each other. Adding in colloquial terms to a character's dialogue who only speaks melodramatically and formally, and sometimes stilted, yes, is jarring for me.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Vbibbi said:

"This isn't even my final form!"
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    edited June 2016

If anything, my main complaint about this banter is that it's so skeletal. [...]

I'm glad you mentioned this. I thought the writer was going for Aaron Sorken-esque (Newsroom,West Wing) type dialogue. Or Gilmore Girls. One of those shows where everybody is so sharp and witty and they know what eachother is going to say before they say it, so no words are wasted and they are continuously providing the counter point to what is the other person hasn't yet fully said. In any case, it confused me.

Also, FWIW, I am being critical with love. The added content makes a deeper experience on the whole.
    Post edited by FinnTheHuman on
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    I disagree. The examples you've given all fit within the context of the game - they work because they're either self-aware or just flow smoothly with the rest of the content that surrounds them. I'm not saying Baldurs Gate has the best writing ever put to paper, but I when it comes to aesthetics, I'd say the most important measure is how well it holds up - and many people still play both games today and like the writing, while much of Beamdog's writing is criticized. Now i'm not one of those people who thinks all of Beamdog's writing is bad, but this particular quote, as well as some other choice pieces, such as everything surrounding Skie in SoD, are particularly out of place and stilted. By the way, just quoting a bunch of lines that you think are similar does not a coherent argument make. i think those lines fit quite nicely with the game - just because prose is lurid, or purple, or self-referential, does not make it bad or poorly written. You have to look at things in their proper context.
    Vbibbi said:

So?...

Vbibbi said:

So?...