Skip to content

is Planescape: Torment a depressing game?

aexaex Member Posts: 2
alright, this will be a weird one, but i really need to ask, i'm new to crpg, and i'm enjoying baldur's gate 1 way more than i though i would, after searching more about the gems of the genre i was intrigued by planescape: torment, thing is, it seems depressing, and i kinda have an issue here, with good stories i usually get so sucked in, with good depressing story i got depressingly sucked in
so the questions is:
is Planescape: Torment a depressing game? if i have a history with depression could this trigger it back?

i immensely like a philosophical, thought provoking stories, i played SOMA a week or so ago and i'm still in awe

so what do you think? yay or nay?

thanks and sorry if posted on the wrong forum

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I wouldn't call it depressing, no.
    [Deleted User]jackjack
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    jackjack
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited July 2016
    BG was the first crpg I ever played, quickly followed by PS:T when it first came out. PS:T is a completely different sort of game in that (as I see it) you don't play it to 'win' or to 'beat it', you play it to experience it - so it is thought provoking.
    DJKajuruClumsy_Dwarf
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    PS:T does have grotesque feel in area design and in narration but none of that will make you depressed.
    On the contrary, you'll just dive in the story with some battles to fight.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited July 2016
    There are some macabre elements, like the starting area is a mortuary, filled with the dead and the undead, and you won't ever find conventional rpg items. No sword, but you can use body parts and scalpels around as weapons. No healing potion, but embalming liquid works nearly the same on you. etc. But these elements are never truly depressing, much like a bit weird like the Addam's family's schtick. Your first companion, Morte, whose name literally means death, is a flying skull but he is a funny and lively chap! I daresay he is more full of life than some bg2 npcs like Valygar or Cernd. Unless you have an obsession and anxiety about death and the dead, you should be okay.

I could not finish the game, however, so I can not comment on the story everyone says is top notch. And I don't plan to, because gameplay does not entertain me like the bg series does. This has nothing to do with the macabre and weird setting, though. I just ind the combats a chore. Dialogue, exploration, and role playing are all top notch, especially if you like deep conversations, interesting locations and characters, and huge walls of texts with detailed writing.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Yes, as people above have said, it has a more melancholy feel rather than depressing.
    Interestingly, the original 15 factions in the planescape setting are based off of real life philosphical schools of thought

Athar -> Atheist
    Bleakers ->Nihilist/Existentialist
    Dustmen ->Acosmism mixed with Stoicism
    The Fated ->Social Darwinism
    The Governors ->Sophists
    Free League ->Libertarianism
    Harmonium ->Authoritarian/Fundamentalism
    Anarchs -> Anarchy
    The Signers -> Solipsism
    Sensates ->Hedonism/Empiricism
    Ciphers ->Buddhism/Taoism
    Chaosmen ->Cynicism (in the classical greek sense)
    Godsmen ->Nietzsche-esque teachings
    Mercykillers ->Retributive/Social Contract
    Doomguard ->Fatalism
    Montresor_SPDJKajuruAyiekiejackjack
  • aexaex Member Posts: 2
    thanks a lot guys, you were very helpful, i'm even more excited to play it now
    jackjacksparkleav
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited July 2016
    Probably won't change your feelings towards the game a bit, but I finished PST more times than BG2 despite the fact, that there is so very few mods out there. The game is that good on its own. Battles are indeed bleak and uninteresting, but the story is the most entertaining piece of writing I've ever encountered in a crpg.
    Post edited by Cahir on
    Grum
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited July 2016
    On the contrary - once you've finished it, you'll probably end up pondering the central question yourself.
    PS:T is up to this date the best cprg I've ever played, probably with NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer in second place.
    Grum
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    It can be depressing if you hate updating your journal. If you like updating your journal, like me, you will love the game.
    DJKajurujackjack
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Boring, cruel, talentless things are depressing. Inspired art like PST is a breath of freedom, a call to friendship and a reminder of hope.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    It is...a philosophical story with a melancholic tone. Does that sound right?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    it's more dark and moody like everything else chris wrote [ kotor 2, motb, etc]
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    If you at any point feel depressed while playing PS:T, just try giving Morte a weapon. Never fails to make me chuckle. Hell, just Morte in general. Keep him around and levity is ensured.
    Montresor_SPmf2112
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    But... but... what if Morte gets kidnapped?
    DJKajuru
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Rawgrim said:

It is...a philosophical story with a melancholic tone. Does that sound right?

"What can change the nature of a man?"
    mf2112
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    The only time I got depressed playing this game was when I saw the credits roll - it was sad to see such a great story end.
    DJKajuru