Skip to content

Any way to mark the fact of an action?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
edited July 2016 in General Modding
Here is what I have in mind: suppose a character acts in a round - casts a spell, attacks, drinks a potion, whatever, anything other than walking or standing around. Does the game notice that fact somehow or not? Or perhaps there are separate checks for spell-casting, attacks, potions, use of thief skills and so on that tell the game this actually occurred?

The reason I'm wondering about this is because I'm thinking on a useful variation on the Blink spell. Right now blinking is just a kind of dimension door effect, it is used for blink dogs and phase spiders. Not actually interesting. But in the pen-and-paper AD&D Blink was different: it shifted the wizard to the Ethereal Plane every round - AFTER his action that round. Reading from the spell description, "the caster can be attacked before he acts, but not after he acts."

Now this, I think, could be carried over to the Infinity Engine and would actually be very useful. It could work as an Improved Invisibility effect in reverse - dispelled at the beginning of every around and then renewed after any action. So the caster would act, then spend the rest of the round immune to attacks. Because the speed of actions depends on the Speed factor, the caster would have less safe time left after a high-level spell or a swing of a two-handed sword (for fighter-mages), but with something quick like Magic Missile he would spend most of the round "gone." It should be possible to prevent the character from any more actions (like delivering his other attacks after the first) while phased-out, but the key is somehow taking notice of the first action in a round.

Any suggestions? Or maybe even help?

I can also think of a much simpler version of Blink that would phase out the character at a set time for a set time, e.g. in 3 seconds out for 3 seconds, then back in. Should be enough for quick actions, but not for multiple attacks.