Skip to content

DLTCEP vs. Near Infinity vs. Weidu

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
Can somebody please explain whether DLTCEP is significantly different from Near Infinity? In particular, DLTCEP has buttons for dialog editing, just like Near Infinity, but with the latter I was recommended to use Weidu for compatibility, even though Near Infinity has its own dialogue-writing tool. So please tell me:

1) Is Weidu absolutely obligatory?

2) How does DLTCEP manage to do without Weidu? It is obviously an older tool, but it seems to have all the functions and its tutorials don't mention Weidu. Apparently people made mods before without having to use it. How?

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Dltcep doesn't work anymore afaik. Nearinfinity is still being updated.

You can use nearinfinity to edit copies of your game to add dialogue. Once a new patch lands that will go away and you'd have to recreate whatever you did.

With weidu you can create a script to patch in whatever dialogue. Once a patch happens and wipes that out, just run your weidu again and the same changes would be replicated. Also if you want to send anyone else your dialogue, use weidu to ensure they get the same changes.

For example, you can patch irenicus to be blue with nearinfinity. it creates a local copy of blue irenicus in your override folder. Another guy creates irenicus who says "I am a chicken" with nearinfinity so he has a copy of that in the override. If you send your blue irenicus it would overwrite his chicken irenicus once he puts it in his override. So say you use weidu it will patch irenicus blue. You can send that to your friend and it would patch his chicken irenicus to blue without overwriting.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    I see now. Thanks to both of you, and in particular to @subtledoctor for the code bit for descriptions. But I still don't know why my changes to dialog.tlk don't show in the game right now. I understand I would have to do it differently in a mod, with Weidu, but for now I just have them as new strings in dialog.tlk. And they are blank in the game.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    It'll come to that, as soon as I've figured out why BGEE has started crashing and why Near Infinity can't play the WAV sounds I put in Override. It lets me use them for an ambient, but I can't play it from inside the program, unlike all the other sounds. And when I go to the area where the sounds are supposed to play, the game give me an error. So that's something with the sounds. But even elsewhere, during the regular game, I started having frequent crashes. So that's my priority right now.