Skip to content

Eye of the Beholder: Game Boy Advance

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
So I bought Eye of the Beholder for the GBA for 5$ at this local shop that sells games for older systems.

Holy crap. I love it.
So it takes place in Faerun and starts off with you seeing the rocks crumble behind you like the first Eye of the Beholder game.

Then you wander around, open a gate, and suddenly kobolds!

Then the battle screen goes to an isometric view of the dungeon and the game becomes similar to the Gold Box Games using grid based movement on each of your character's turns. I LOOVVEEE the combat in the Gold Box Games so I was surprised in a good way.

You can pick from the standard races (Human, Gnome, Elf, Half-Orc, Halfling, and I think Half-Elf, can't remember). The only classes however are Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, and Wizard. You can multiclass but the level cap is 7 to my knowledge. It uses 3.5e so it has feats you can choose from and uses many of the skills like climb, diplomacy, and use magic device. You roll for stats for each of your characters as well.

It was a pleasant surprise and I can see myself losing hours to this game.

I plan to have

Azrael - LN Human Cleric 7
Val'myr- N Elf Wizard 7
Piro - CG Gnome Rogue 3/Wizard 4 (Psuedo-Bard)
Aria - LG Fighter 4/Cleric 3 (Psuedo-Paladin)

I read this game got a lot of bad reviews and I can certainly see why but for 5$ this is totally worth it.

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    btw, does anyone know where I could find the manual to this game? I imagine it probably has the feat and spell descriptions in them. I know 3.5e well enough to know all the core rulebook info but some of the feats and spells are different. Like I noticed a kobold cast inflict minor wounds as a *ranged* spell when it's supposed to be touch.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I played it a while back. It is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I LOVED the turn based combat like you, but after a point it got very hard. Plus, the turn based phase isn't per combat but per dungeon which can be a pain. As for manual, can't help you. But i do hope you enjoy it more than I did.