Skip to content

Lame or Mostly Useless Items

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
Alright - there's been countless posts on this forum about items from the BG/IWD series that people like or love or want, but what about those that we could do without?

Now, don't get me wrong, "The Snow Maiden's Reaver" found in IWD is a COOL (pun intended) item. It's like a Frozen Flametongue. The problem here is it does cold damage in a game called Icewind Dale. I've never seen a more useless item in my life! You can't use it against Yetis... Or Ice Trolls... Or Wraiths... Or Frost Giants... or Winter Wolves... you get the idea. Additionally, it seems like for whatever reason when I use it most times my strength bonus isn't added (it just does straight up cold damage based on a Bastard Sword). Not sure if this is always the case, but if so, yuck. Flaming swords on the other end of the spectrum, completely rock in this game. Despite this, this sword does gain 10 coolness points for its name, its appearance, and the 2% freeze/shatter your foe ability, which is pretty sweet in a fight against someone you can actually damage. I've outright shattered a troll with it once. That was kinda nifty.

Photobucket
Post edited by HaHaCharade on

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    It's been a while since I played IWD, but how early in the game do you get this? If it's a very early item, then I think it would be balanced.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited October 2012

It's been a while since I played IWD, but how early in the game do you get this? If it's a very early item, then I think it would be balanced.

Temple of the Forgotten God, so like the second area. Not too late in. Its also random so not gotten on every playthrough. Its one to put in a quickslot and have it share hack-time with another weapon...

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Played through that part many times and never gotten it. XP
    Quartz said:

Yeah... screw random treasure man.

Quartz said:

It was kind of a cool feature, but on the other hand there were times I would open a treasure chest, get something crap, and know that "last time I got that one item that was awesome" and feel exceedingly disappointed.

Easiest example: Orc cave at the start of the game outside of Eastaven. In the northwest chest you can get a few items; a magical dagger, a belt with permanent Bless (awesome!), or Quiet Boots which give you +7% to Hide in Shadows.

...+7%. SEVEN PERCENT?! SERIOUSLY
    Quartz said:

Quartz said:

It was kind of a cool feature, but on the other hand there were times I would open a treasure chest, get something crap, and know that "last time I got that one item that was awesome" and feel exceedingly disappointed.

Easiest example: Orc cave at the start of the game outside of Eastaven. In the northwest chest you can get a few items; a magical dagger, a belt with permanent Bless (awesome!), or Quiet Boots which give you +7% to Hide in Shadows.

...+7%. SEVEN PERCENT?! SERIOUSLY
    Yeah, couldn't they make it at least +10%? Seriously? LOL. I mean wtf. There's one that's worse then that too... in the Temple of the Forgotten God, first floor, two chests are on the left side of the floor. They can contain a spell scroll (Hold Person or something like that), OR they can contain a Longbow +2: Defender... HMMM.

Yeah man, I always save before the area loads and then make a straight dash for the chest or what not that contains the random loot. If it sucks, I reload outside the area and go in again.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    Yeah, I'm playing IWD for the first time right now and I hate the random treasure. It seems like I keep missing good stuff or getting good items that no one in my party can use. IWD also seems to have a TON of redundant items... I keep getting these unique +2 swords and axes and bows that are just worse than ones I've already had for a while.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Any random loot system should:

A) Be weighted towards what your party can use.

B) Have some sort of a trade in system, where you can swap junk you find for random items you didn't get (even if it's just selling the stuff like normal and buying it with GP.)
    Kaxon said:

Yeah, I'm playing IWD for the first time right now and I hate the random treasure. It seems like I keep missing good stuff or getting good items that no one in my party can use. IWD also seems to have a TON of redundant items... I keep getting these unique +2 swords and axes and bows that are just worse than ones I've already had for a while.

This walkthrough shows all possible random items. I recommend reloading the area if you don't get what you want. Find out where the random crap is, run for it, and if you don't like it, do it again.

Of course you could also just use Dalekeeper to hack the game, delete the random stuff you didn't like, and insert the item you wanted... but Dalekeeper jacks up my spellbook and I'm OCD so I don't use it for that reason really, lol.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/256221-icewind-dale/faqs/8166

One of my favorite random items is "Turodahel". You get it in Kresselack's sarcophagus in the Vale of Shadows (if you're lucky). It's a +2 Longsword that gives +1 Intelligence. Cool for a Fighter/Mage. Plus the description is just cool.
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    The one item I remember from IWD was "Bhaal's Fire", a fire sword with a stun chance. That thing was overpowered, the fire damage went through stoneskins and the like and the stun seemed to work more than intended so it made most fights a breeze.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Garrick
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    The Rod of Lordly Might in BG2. By the time you get to the Sahuagin city, you've already come across far better weapons than the rod can change into. I never used the Rod of Terror either. Why would I want to risk losing a point of Charisma when I can just use a Staff +3 and cast Horror?

Xanthul said:

The one item I remember from IWD was "Bhaal's Fire", a fire sword with a stun chance. That thing was overpowered, the fire damage went through stoneskins and the like and the stun seemed to work more than intended so it made most fights a breeze.

Threw Evil characters a bone. I remember you could only use it if you were Evil and I never had anybody Evil able to use it. D:
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    the ring of infravision
  • IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
    Helm of Infravision. Nuff said. It does look cool though.
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110

Helm of Infravision. Nuff said. It does look cool though.

At least the helm still provides protection from critical hits, the ring on the other hand ....
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498

Now, don't get me wrong, "The Snow Maiden's Reaver" found in IWD is a COOL (pun intended) item. It's like a Frozen Flametongue. The problem here is it does cold damage in a game called Icewind Dale. I've never seen a more useless item in my life! You can't use it against Yetis... Or Ice Trolls... Or Wraiths... Or Frost Giants... or Winter Wolves... you get the idea.

I forgot about this, Icewind Dale is such a celebration and aesthetic exploration of Ice. Coming from Baldur's gate I was so excited by all those ice spells, Snilloc's snowball swarm! that projectile icicle one.. but who to use them on!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356

Now, don't get me wrong, "The Snow Maiden's Reaver" found in IWD is a COOL (pun intended) item. It's like a Frozen Flametongue. The problem here is it does cold damage in a game called Icewind Dale. I've never seen a more useless item in my life! You can't use it against Yetis... Or Ice Trolls... Or Wraiths... Or Frost Giants... or Winter Wolves... you get the idea.

I forgot about this, Icewind Dale is such a celebration and aesthetic exploration of Ice. Coming from Baldur's gate I was so excited by all those ice spells, Snilloc's snowball swarm! that projectile icicle one.. but who to use them on!
    Icelance? I used to use them all the time on the Bronze and Tarnished Sentries and the Fire Giants. If they fail their saves, they are stunned for a few rounds so you can hack away at them.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Mortianna said:

Icelance? I used to use them all the time on the Bronze and Tarnished Sentries and the Fire Giants. If they fail their saves, they are stunned for a few rounds so you can hack away at them.
    Ah, maybe what I was thinking was "I love ice spells! I wish I could cast them all the time."
    Tuth said:

There is much worse item also in IWD: an axe that deals extra damage against dwarfs (1d8 +2, +4 against them), and yes there is not a single dwarf that you fight in this game, as far as I know.

You could turn it on your own Dwarf PC just to make sure it works :P
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Sometimes an item is more useful as a joke item, or for reading about its history and origin than it is for actual combat. So quit complaining about your loot and sell it for some quick gold.
    edited October 2012

Sometimes an item is more useful as a joke item, or for reading about its history and origin than it is for actual combat. So quit complaining about your loot and sell it for some quick gold.

Problem is I installed a "Shopkeeper Reality" mod, and now they don't want it either. When I try to sell them the Frostmaiden's Reaver, he asks if I have a Flametounge instead.
    Hmmm, only solution is to travel south through the treacherous mountain pass on the secret map and sell it in Athkatla.

Hmmm, only solution is to travel south through the treacherous mountain pass on the secret map and sell it in Athkatla.

Nah man I agree with you. The history/background of the items is the absolute best part about them. I just think its funny when you get something and think... "This is awesome!" and go running headlong into a dungeon with it, screaming at the top of your lungs. Then the next scene is you crawling out the entrance, in disaray, throwing the damned thing in the doorway at whatever's chasing you.
    It's like that awesome sword you can equip minsc with, but it turns out to be cursed and causes him to berserk, a fun but dangerous item.