Skip to content

Fighter/Mage/Druid and Druid/Mage

Firstly hi all,

This has probably been discussed years ago on another board but I can't see a thread discussing it here, so here goes.

In the Baldur's Gate 2 manual, in the multiclass combinations table, there is an asterisk next to Fighter/Cleric* , Cleric*/Mage and Fighter/Mage/Cleric* and after the table it states * or Druid. But in the game it only allows Fighter/Druid, is this a mistake in the manual ?

Comments

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Probably an oversight. I don't think it's actually possible in the engine to create combinations such as those listed in the title of this thread.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    LOL man, that manual is even worse than I've heard.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    Why a druid anyway? They are worthless, shape-changing is not worth losing out on all the better buff-spells clerics have to offer!
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    3x creeping dooms in a chain contingency would be insane.

Yeah I've seen that in the manual too. The BG2 manual has a chart of thief skills including: Detect noise, climb walls & read languages & also states that a level 15 druid needs to reach 3,500,000 XP to level to 16 & a level 16 druid needs to reach 500,000 XP to reach level 17. Riddled with mistakes & things that weren't implamented.
    edited October 2012
    @Quartz, but I am willing to learn. How do I make a druid live up to its full potential in Icewind Dale (which I am currently playing)?

Although I have to say that it's very annoying that she (Yphta is her name) can not cast Raise Dead (although that may be due to a mod I have installed (it somehow makes sense that a druid can not raise the dead, seems unnatural)).
    edited October 2012
    @Phyrax Been a while since I've played Icewind Dale ... lots of different spells for them in that game, pretty cool.

What I like to do with a Druid is focus on two things: Healing, then Summons, and then if there are any, and there's any space, Damage spells. Druids don't have very good buffs. Clerics totally win in that regard, no question.

Heal spells is pretty self-explanatory. Except like you said, they don't get Raise Dead. Not a huge issue though. Druids have lots of Summoning spells, and Summon spells are just a fantastic way to give your actual characters time and space to get off spells/arrows/whatever behind the safety of your Summons. I recall Druids actually had some neat Damage spells in Icewind Dale; Static Charge comes to mind, which deals out some pretty nasty damage. Spike Stones was kind of fun but not all that powerful. A very useful one is Insect Swarm/Insect Plague, which is the bane of any enemy casters. They simply won't get a spell off at all.

A fun thing to do in IWD is start killing people in Kuldahar, and watch how exactly Arundel comes to kick your ass. His script is actually pretty good and he knows how to play Druid better than I do, really. I don't claim to be a master.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If you have Heart of Winter installed that adds a lot of spells from what I can read online. Its been years since I've played the first iwd, but Druids I would say generally focus on damage, summoning, and to a lessor extent healing spells. I only say "to a lessor extent" for healing spells because druids tend to get a fair number of damage spells in IWD from what I can recall, and as you've already discussed they don't get raised dead.
    But yes I think a fighter/mage/druid, and druid/mage should be added, but from what I've heard online its more likely that the new manual will remove them.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Oh lol, a high level pure druid is almost more deadly than a high level mage.
  • BazzaBazza Member Posts: 57
    There is just no love for druids, are they really that much more powerful than clerics, even the fighter/druid dual class needs 17 in charisma for some bizarre reason!?
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    This has already been reported recently, but I can't even find the post from a week or two ago. A search for fighter/mage/druid turns up "no results" and similar searches aren't any more enlightening.
    edited October 2012
    @Quartz, I will give it a try, summoning is pretty neat.
    A pity Arundel is already killed, otherwise I would definitively give it a try!.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180

Doesnt a planetar beat an elemental prince easily?
    bbear said:

How many planetars can a mage summon vs. how many elemental princes can a druid summon?
    Quartz said:

bbear said:

How many planetars can a mage summon vs. how many elemental princes can a druid summon?
    I'm not sure how iwd works, but in bg2 summoning an elemental prince is a matter of chance.
    elminster said:

Quartz said:

bbear said:

I'm not sure how iwd works, but in bg2 summoning an elemental prince is a matter of chance.
    Errr in BGII, the Elemental Prince is a matter of chance with the first HLA, then after you unlocked that you got another one (only if you were a druid, not clerics) that made it guaranteed.
    @Quartz you are correct. For whatever reason I was thinking it was just a matter of greater elemental summoning giving better hit dice elementals and a better chance at summoning the princes.