Skip to content

Trolls and Priests swamp my party

In the troll caves. level 2 there is an area on the left side reached by a path over a bridge and through a stony space, then down a long, narrow path to a open area populated by quite a few trolls and Talonite priests. I have been trying to get the job done, but my party is usually swamped by a flood of trolls followed by the priests. I have tried the full frontal attack, letting my casters cast summoned monsters to tire the bad guys out and fighters to kill them-that almost worked one time. I have tried the "lure a single or two baddies" to where my party lies in wait-swamped again ( I cannot seem to lure just one without the entire crew following), plus variations, using different spells and ambushes. It is getting a bit frustrating.
I hoping for some tips here based on the party I am playing. Party Make up:
Fighter, Berserker, Ranger/Cleric, Fighter/Thief/Bard and Conjurer. All except the Cleric/Ranger and the Fighter/ Thief are level 7, they are at 6. My casters have a decent assortment of level 3 spells, including Fireball, summon creatures, many fire spells and party buffs and area spells; grease, Doom, Curse, etc.

I appreciate any help so I can move on to the next challenge. Thanks, Gorris75

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    have your cleric cast:
    draw upon holy might
    prayer
    bless
    chant

mage/bard cast:
    haste
    monster summoning
    protection from fire on melee chums

berserker use:
    enrage

(make sure to cast low duration spells later than sooner, although remember once you cast chant you cant cast any spells afterwards)

so once you have those buffs on yer guys, go running in, and start force attack the priests, especially the ones that when they have their casing effects, the one that is yellowy looking is the one(s) you want to take out first because they are casting dispel magic,

also, if you have the protection from fires on your melee guys, start hucking in as many fireballs as possible, dealing damage to everyone, but try and avoid your summoned monsters (animate dead is nice since sometimes you get archers, but I don't know how many level 3 spells you have to go towards that) and the female priest who isn't hostile ( she will give you some decent XP if you talk to her afterwards)

and also if you have fire resistance you can use up some of those flaming oils that you have found everywhere, if the baddies are bunching up big, then you can hit 3 or 4 of them at a time, especially if you give everyone in your team a few they can all throw 1 at once

also if you haven't already, if you have got some pick pocket skill, go back to kuldahar and start pick pocketing everybody who has a special name ( its a bit of a back track) but some of those peeps can have some very useful items that can help you along the way

• inethineth Member Posts: 707
  • MeandreMeandre Member Posts: 38
    Here's a simple, yet effective strategy that has always worked for me in that situation.

Move your party into the small stony area that is connected through a narrow passage to the chamber with the trolls and priests in it.
    Use a character to scout ahead (down the corriodor towards the trolls) and have them attack the first enemy they see with a ranged weapon, then immediately have them run back the passage to the other party members.
    The priests and trolls will follow them.

As soon as your scout runs backs, have your arcane casters cast spells like web and grease at the passage that conveniently serves as a bottleneck for the incoming attackers.
    Can your Ranger/Cleric cast entangle yet? If so, use that spell as well.
    If your scout has a way to become imune to immobilization (e.g. a ring of free action, or the freedom spell), you can cast those spells even before sending the scout down the passage to the chamber.

Next, attack the stuck enemies using ranged weapons and spells like fireball and skulltrap and they shouldn't last very long.

Have the berserker or another melee warrior at the ready to intercept any enemies that manage to make it through to your party.

In any case, good luck!
  • gorris75gorris75 Member Posts: 60
    Thanks to sarevok57, ineth and Meandre for the quick replies, I will give them a try. Also, I will look into IWD:EE. to see what it means. Looks intriguing. Appreciation to all.
    sarevok57
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited August 2016
    Block the bottleneck with melee types and kill the first two trolls that come against them, but don't finish them off. The trolls behind them can't get into range to melee your fighters, so they can switch to arrows and start working on any clerics that come into view. Have your spell casters bomb the enemy's rear with fireballs or other area effect weapons. Once the enemy spellcasters are gone, switch back to the trolls. Take them down with arrows and finish them off with fire arrows or those fire potions you find all throughout the dungeon.
    Post edited by BillyYank on
    Thanks ..I give it a try.
    success! Thanks to all for pointers.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    This particular level of Dragon's Eye had me stuck for a long time, mostly because I was still fairly new to the game and had a weak party.