Skip to content

Do Dudleyville.com patches and fixes work with BG:EE?

Hey.

I am playing through BG:EE and found my way to http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ where patches and fixes to the original title were purportedly created and linked.

Would anyone be able to confirm the validity of these fixes and whether or not they would work with the new BG:EE?

Thank you for your time and help it is appreciated.
-Iron

Comments

• Ironhammer33Ironhammer33 Member Posts: 54
    Like many a fellow RPG-er, it is EXTREMELY difficult for me to leave any stone unturned or any shade of map hidden by the Fog of War.

So despite a party of approx. level 04, I am willing to begin again if I will have a more complete version with said patches and fixes if they are so and are compatible.
    Important update: I am new to this forum and forums in general. If I am in violation of any of the sites rules please let me know.

Note: I just read the General Site Rules on piracy and (while I do not believe that applies to the question and link I posted above) I am NOT interested in doing anything illegal!

I am merely inquisitive because I want to re-experience a phenomenal game I never completed and I wish to do so as fully as possible.

Thank you.
    -Iron
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    Don't worry... and welcome!

There is a huge section on modding on the left hand side ... which includes various fixes and patches for lots of things, as well as mods that add new content, alter content and revive old incomplete content. Dudleyville is a great resource and very useful to help ensure you don't miss anything. Some of the information is out of date now, however.

You know what, restartitis is a thing. I've probably started a game and then restarted a hundred times because I wasn't happy with something. It's entirely your choice but if you are doing well, and have a party you are happy with then why not continue... beating the game once doesn't mean you can't play it again and try something else next time.

If anything I'd recommend that you play the game 'vanilla' on your first play through - get to understand the mechanics and story before you start adapting it. Again, it's your choice... For me, I like to taste something before I add seasoning.

It's worth noting that if you do modify the game by installing any of the mods that you will need to begin again. You can't use any saves from a pre-modded game as that might cause conflicts and you could get strange results. Likewise, you can't uninstall a mod and continue playing with a modded save. For example, there is an excellent mod that adds more portraits to the game to the minor characters. If you uninstall the mod but continue playing the same save game then you will likely meet people that did have portrait but now don't...

This thread has a list of all mods that currently work with BGEE 2.0 and Siege Of Dragonspear (the new expansion):
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50340/bg-ee-2-0-and-siege-of-dragonspear-compatible-mods/p1

One I'd recommend if you like to 'leave no stone unturned' is BG1UB or 'Unfinished Business' that basically adds content to the original game that was incomplete or not included.

The people here are really friendly so if you have any questions about any of the mods just add your question in the specific thread for that mod and the author, or someone else, will respond.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    If you want to play simultaneously a couple of parties, each party with its own set of mods and randomness (very important to me) you can use @argent77 DlcBuilder mod which made the mangement very easy.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/59766/mod-dlc-builder-for-enhanced-edition-v2-x-games#latest
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Remember that Dudleyville is from before the Enhanced Edition, and is never updated to be Enhanced Edition compatible, so it won't inform you about EE specific characters, areas and loot.

Also, the Enhanced Edition included a myriad of fixes from all kinds of mods into the base game, so installing fix packs is not required or even recommended, and may break your game, as they're designed for vanilla, not EE.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    One nice thing about the games, both EE and original, is that they don't have DRM and they don't need to be run from the original install directory. You can copy the entire game folder to a different place and mod the copy, then run the baldur.exe from that location. This way you can try out different mod combinations without having to worry about messing up games you're already playing. All of the save games are in the same place, so you'll need to keep track of which saves go with which install.

There are numerous threads in the modding section, some aimed at advising newcomers as to which mods are best for the beginner. I wouldn't worry about the Dudleyville fixes too much. A lot of the old fan-made fixes have been incorporated into the EE's already.
    Wow. . Thank you all very, very much. I've never mod'd before and I'm not really sure how it works but I will look it up!