Skip to content

Best evil party to play through the entire saga, including SoD, with?

What would everyone say is the best party of evil NPCs to play though everything with? Obviously there would need to be some changing of NPCs once different games were reached, but a mostly consistent party would be a plus.

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    For BG1, it really depends on your class: the best fighters are Dorn and Kagain, the best thieves are Shar-Teel (if you dual-class her) or Montaron, the best cleric is Viconia, and the best mages are Edwin and Baeloth.

For SoD, you've still got Dorn, Viconia, Edwin and Baeloth; you'll be missing a thief and another front-liner.

For BG2, there's only one Evil party: Dorn, Korgan, Hexxat, Viconia and Edwin. You'll get a new member early in ToB.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    For BG1 and SoD you can use the helm of opposite alignment to gain an evil good character. Which is positively evil. Got to love it.
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    I have never thought about using the helm of opposite alignment haha, does it prevent them from leaving at low rep?

I am also open to making an evil party with some neutral characters mixed in, especially in BG2 if it makes for some interesting party interactions. It really is unfortunate that beyond BG1 the evil characters offered are such a small number.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    with sod your really forced to use safana if you want thief. as the evil npcs are lacking compared to bg 1 and 2.
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    It was definitely a bummer when I found out how few evil NPCs SoD has, since one of the nice things about the enhanced edition of BGII was that Beamdog somewhat remedied the issue of so few evil NPCs.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    The only problem with the Helm of Opposite Alignment is that it doesn't affect characters' personality or dialogue - they'll still act like they're Good, it's only the character sheet that'll read Evil.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Yeah as someone who likes using frontliners a lot, the limited options for evil parties was somewhat disappointing. Probably the easiest approach to SoD would be to mix up the parties a little with evil, neutral and good to whatever strikes your fancy...And just forcefully manage your reputation at clerics when it drops too low...You'll get more than enough money to do that. Instead of going purist evil and neutral party.

That being said going with a pair of mages is potentially very lethal in SoD, due to the high number of crowded mobs you'll end up facing. A lot more microing required, but by you can keep them at bay. But it's not my preferred play style at all.

Hell I don't even think a thief is essential as long as you have the knock spell and one fighter to tank the traps. It's not recommended though obviously and a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes.