Skip to content

Question about dual-classing and weapon proficiency

I noticed something that seems wrong to me... When I dual-class a Thief into a Cleric, I can only use Cleric weapons. However, when I dual-class a Kensai into a Mage, I can still use swords and whatnot, even though they say "not usable by Mage". This seems inconsistent to me, is this intentional? Does the Fighter proficiency somehow override the Mage, but the Thief doesn't override the Cleric?

Comments

• FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited August 2016
    It's because clerics are forbidden from using edged weapons; being multi or dual class doesn't change that. Mages are simply not trained to use swords unless they get another class. For most things, you take the best of each of your classes. But if one class is banned from something you retain that restriction even when you gain a new class. For instance the wizard slayer can never use any magic items, kensais can never wear bracers, etc.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    This happens for druids as well. The divine classes override every other class proficiency.

It makes more sense if you look at it from a lore perspective, maybe. Thieves and mages can't use certain weapons due to a lack of training, while clerics and druids actively choose not to use them due to their faith.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Clerics can not use weapons that cause bleeding (slashing and piercing ones) and druids can not use pointed ones (swords). This is different from the fact that every class can put proficiences is some weapons and can equip only those weapons. Is their God (clerics) or ethic (druids) that forbid the thing. Is a prohibition of higher level.
    So a fighter dualed to mage at the beginning of the game can use a sword, because in that moment he can put proficiences in it. When he become a mage he can not use it, but just for the fact that in that moment he can not put proficiences in it, when his first class is active again he can use it again as he can put proficiences in it again.
    Clerics and Druids even when the first class is active again continue to be prevented by their god or ethic.
    And you should have known it as both Jaheira and Anomen are fighters, but are prevented from using weapons forbidden to their other class while Nalia and Imoen can use the weapons of both classes.
    So is intentional and consistent.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    If you don't use them they don't :smiley:
    Totally agreed.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

lunar said:

Druids can not use certain weapons as those are created solely for war at the expense of natural resources. A sword requires mining the ore/hurting the mother nature, and tainting/unbalancing the nature further with artificial things like the anvil, and the advanced blacksmithy techniques, etc. For the reason of what? Waging war on other children of the nature? And bows are animal slaying weapons at the hands of unbalanced hunters.

Scimitars are allowed because they resemble the sickle, the one holy instrument the druids use to harvest mistletoe:the key ingredient in all of their spells. Daggers require little precious ore, and clubs/quarterstaves are just the arms and legs of the nature, still thriving with the energy and life that allows the druid to defend himself. Spear is the oldest weapon that requires little resources for the best effect. Slings and darts are also effective in the same rein.

Yeah except non of those hold up under scrutiny. Darts and daggers are just about as resource-intensive as a short sword; and a scimitar is *literally* the same. And bow hunters can totally be 'balanced.'

And don't get me started on the idea that maces and morning stars don't cause bleeding...
    Daggers, Darts and Spear heads can be made out of non-metal materials much easier than your average sword, short or not. Spears could simply be pointy sticks, or perhaps stone heads used.

Scimitars probably was just used because they didn't want to put in sickles for some reason. Though now-a-days, sickles do seem to be tied to druidism, for some reason. Not entirely sure why.

Scimitars probably was just used because they didn't want to put in sickles for some reason. Though now-a-days, sickles do seem to be tied to druidism, for some reason. Not entirely sure why.

lunar said:

Scimitars are allowed because they resemble the sickle, the one holy instrument the druids use to harvest mistletoe:the key ingredient in all of their spells. .

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    From what I understand, the reason of the whole cleric no-blade thing was plain and simply that the original D&D creators thought it would be a cool idea, just a neat little feature to make the class special in some way. It's certainly inspired by real-world religious notions, but as we all know most religions have historically not been ones to eschew effective means of murder, blade or no blade.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253

From what I understand, the reason of the whole cleric no-blade thing was plain and simply that the original D&D creators thought it would be a cool idea, just a neat little feature to make the class special in some way. It's certainly inspired by real-world religious notions, but as we all know most religions have historically not been ones to eschew effective means of murder, blade or no blade.

The issue is especially interesting in 3rd, where clerics can use crossbows, something that was forbidden by papal decree in 1139 (against other christians. Heretics excluded).
    Anyway, whatever is the RP reason, is interesting that both the divine magic classes have a similar restriction, both on the weapons.
    restriction different from the others we find in the game. A druid can not wear platemail, but if has some fighter levels can, a mage can not use bow, but a mage rogue can.
    I think that the restrictions on the weapons of the divine casters are the only one prevailing on what a second class allow.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

lunar said:

Scimitars are allowed because they resemble the sickle, the one holy instrument the druids use to harvest mistletoe:the key ingredient in all of their spells. .

Scimitars is what I meant to say the second time. Was on a sickle run. No idea why Scimitars are a big thing for Druids.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    All Dual/Multiclass combinations inherit certain restrictions:

Ranger/Cleric - Restricted to Cleric weapons.
    Fighter/Cleric - Restricted to Cleric weapons.
    Fighter/Druid - Restricted to Druid weapons.
    Fighter/Mage - Can't cast spells in armor.
    Fighter/Thief - Can't use thief skills in heavy armor.
    Mage/Thief - Can't cast spells in armor.
    Mage/Cleric - Restricted to Cleric weapons, can't cast spells in armor.
    Cleric/Thief - Restricted to Cleric weapons, can't use thief skills in heavy armor.
    Fighter/Mage/Cleric - Restricted to Cleric weapons, can't cast spells in armor.
    Fighter/Mage/Thief - Can't cast spells in armor, can't use thief skills in heavy armor.

@subtledoctor: The cleric kits are already odd in that they only have advantages, not disadvantages. Having them also allow additional weapons without any disadvantages wouldn't make much sense balance wise.
    Thels said:

Those are restrictions that prevail on everything else, thee is no way to avoid them.
    Thels said:

Cleric/Thief - Restricted to Cleric weapons, can't use thief skills in heavy armor.
    Fighter/Mage/Thief - Can't cast spells in armor, can't use thief skills in heavy armor.

Those are different things.
    Every Thief can't use thief skills in heavy armor (if he has UAI), every Mage can't cast spells in armor, the restriction is there, but is a equipment related restriction (they can not do something because they are equipping something, not just because they are mages or thieves), just removing the armor the restriction is also removed.

Mages and Thieves are enabled to do something by the other class (Being also Thief or Fighter override the limitation that prevents the Mage in using bows), and the fact that this don't remove some of their normal restriction is a different thing from the restriction on the weapons that the divine casters have, which can be never be overrided.

Thels said:

Those are restrictions that prevail on everything else, thee is no way to avoid them.
    Thels said:

Those are different things.
    Every Thief can't use thief skills in heavy armor (if he has UAI), every Mage can't cast spells in armor, the restriction is there, but is a equipment related restriction (they can not do something because they are equipping something, not just because they are mages or thieves), just removing the armor the restriction is also removed.

Mages and Thieves are enabled to do something by the other class (Being also Thief or Fighter override the limitation that prevents the Mage in using bows), and the fact that this don't remove some of their normal restriction is a different thing from the restriction on the weapons that the divine casters have, which can be never be overrided.

Fighter/mages cannot be mages while using something the other class gives them, being armour.
    Fighter thieves cannot be thieves while using something the other class gives them, being heavy armour.
    Clerics do not have the same restriction, they can already do everything they can while wearing heavy armour, so they are being restricted in weapon choice when multiclassing with fighters.
    You don't get the point.
    "Fighter/mages cannot be mages while using something the other class gives them, being armour."
    No, they are mages and not casting in armor is the normal behavior of an arcane caster, being also fighter enables them to do something, using other weapons and wear armor.
    Is a limitation similar to the one that thieves have (not in your examples), Thief can not backstab with not Thief weapon (that can equip having UAI or being also Fighters) but they have just to equip a Thief weeapon and they can backstab. is an equipment related restriction.

And every divine caster can cast while armored. Single class, dual or multi, Aerie armored can cast divine spells and is prevented from using the arcane ones by the equipment that she uses, but she can remove it at will and cast again both magic.

No matter what a F/C or F/D equip or unequip, is always prevented from using the weapons forbidden to his divine class. There is nothing that they can do to avoid their weapon limitations. Arcane casting and backstabbing limitations can be avoided just unequipping something or using the proper weapon.

Remember that the OP's original point is " When I dual-class a Thief into a Cleric, I can only use Cleric weapons. However, when I dual-class a Kensai into a Mage, I can still use swords and whatnot, even though they say "not usable by Mage".

Every other class can be enabled in using weapons normally not allowed, just having some levels of a class that can use them. They are enabled, but with the normal in game restrictions, a F/T can use a 2H sword, he just can not use it to backstab.

The divine casters are the only ones that are not enabled in using weapons prevented to the single class, even if they take levels in a class able to use them.

You don't get the point.
    "Fighter/mages cannot be mages while using something the other class gives them, being armour."
    No, they are mages and not casting in armor is the normal behavior of an arcane caster, being also fighter enables them to do something, using other weapons and wear armor.
    Is a limitation similar to the one that thieves have (not in your examples), Thief can not backstab with not Thief weapon (that can equip having UAI or being also Fighters) but they have just to equip a Thief weeapon and they can backstab. is an equipment related restriction.

And every divine caster can cast while armored. Single class, dual or multi, Aerie armored can cast divine spells and is prevented from using the arcane ones by the equipment that she uses, but she can remove it at will and cast again both magic.

No matter what a F/C or F/D equip or unequip, is always prevented from using the weapons forbidden to his divine class. There is nothing that they can do to avoid their weapon limitations. Arcane casting and backstabbing limitations can be avoided just unequipping something or using the proper weapon.

Remember that the OP's original point is " When I dual-class a Thief into a Cleric, I can only use Cleric weapons. However, when I dual-class a Kensai into a Mage, I can still use swords and whatnot, even though they say "not usable by Mage".

Every other class can be enabled in using weapons normally not allowed, just having some levels of a class that can use them. They are enabled, but with the normal in game restrictions, a F/T can use a 2H sword, he just can not use it to backstab.

The divine casters are the only ones that are not enabled in using weapons prevented to the single class, even if they take levels in a class able to use them.

I disagree on your balance conclusion. There, however, is also a lore issue, clerics could probably use a dagger in combat, it's not a complicated device, but it is forbidden to them. Even if they manage to get the training somewhere else, they are still not allowed to use the thing, which seems logical.

That said, the limits of clerical weapon use should logically be different for each faith
    edited August 2016
    Mine is not a balance conclusion, I just stated that the weapon limitation of the divine casters is different from the weapon limitation of every other class as is not overrided by taking another class.

Edit: corrected as I wrote arcane instead of the intended divine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    You are correct in that Cleric/Druid Weapon Restrictions are based on rules by their faith. and thus cannot be "overcome", wheras other Restrictions are based on "I never learned that." (and in most cases, that is because they don't have access to certain class abilities while using those weapons or armor).

A thief is only proficient with weapons that can backstab, and only proficient with armor that they can use thieving skills in. While they can equip other armor, they lose some class abilities, so they still have to choose between "not wearing heavy armor like fighters can" or "not using thieves skills like thieves can".

Yes, fighter/thieves can go forth and back between the two (but not in combat), and fighter/clerics cannot. Is that such a big thing? Does everything need to be identical.

Don't forget, the impact of wearing different armor is generally bigger than the impact of wielding different weapons. All weapons are pretty similar to one another. One may do slightly more average damage than another, but their THAC0 remains the same. Armor on the other hand, there's quite a difference between a Studded Leather and an Ankheg Armor, both available early into the game. Don't forget that Ashideena is one of the first "more than just +1" magical weapons you run into.

As for Cleric kits, I don't like them how they're currently implemented. They feel kinda lazy. You get some bonus spells and an alignment restriction, that's it. Whoop di doo.

It would be nicer if they implemented something like slightly different weapon and armor proficiencies, and having some spells added and removed from their spell list. That said, I can't really recall how cleric kits were implemented back in the day.

It's also a bit problematic because there are so many gods, but they implemented so few of them as kits. They didn't even include the kits for the only two singleclass Clerics in the saga: Branwen and Viconia (Yeslick/Quayle/Tiax/Aerie/Anomen can't have cleric kits due to multi/dualclassing).
    @subtledoctor: I know the mod exists. But something being part of the base game, or being part of a large mod that seems to also do a whole lot of other stuff aren't exactly the same thing.