Skip to content

Making physical resistances random

seraglioseraglio Member Posts: 122
Hello all. I am trying to create a defense that gives resistance to physical attacks "sometimes". If the target is hit, there is say a 50% chance that he avoids a certain percentage of the damage.

So far I've tried adding a number less than 100 in probability 1. That doesn't seem to work.

I've also tried a "on hit cast spell" that casts a custom spell that gives physical resistance, giving the "on hit cast spell" the random chance of firing. That's not working either.

Anyone have any ideas? Perhaps physical resistances- are just hardcoded to be binary?

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    That actually is already in the game, and it's called Armor or AC. (Technically, it's not the AC that's random, but the Attack, but that comes down to the same thing.)
  • seraglioseraglio Member Posts: 122
    That wan't helpful.

I'll give more depth. I have an idea for a ooze like creature. It has some , mobile internal organs. Some attacks hit for full damage. But some attacks hit for partial damage because they hit only ooze. Damage is never avoided entirely, like high armor class or stoneskins. And damage is not always partially absorbed, like current damage resistance. Some damage is always taken on a hit, its just a matter of whether or not its full or partial, which is random and based on damage type.

So say, 50% of the time when hit, Piercing/Missle damage is halved, slashing damage does 75%, and blunt does 90%. The other 50%, full damage. I know 25% piercing/missle kind of accomplishes the final result...but that's no fun and not what I'm trying to do. I want EVERY hit to do some damage, probably full damage. That's the concept, I just want to know if the game engine can accomplish it, and if not why not. I'm trying to learn more about the limits and quirks of the infinity engine, do some things that haven't been done already.

Make sense? Seems doable with a "on hit spell" but I can't get it to work. Looking for someone with knowledge of the ins and outs of NI and coding. Thanks!
    Ah, ok, I misunderstood. So if the attack hits, then you want there to be a chance that the attack only deals partial damage. Kind of like a glancing blow, rather than a full hit.

Yeah, that makes more sense, and is something different from AC. Unfortunately, can't help you there. I have little knowledge on the technical details.

I also haven't heard of any 2nd or 3rd edition rules that work like that, though of course that doesn't mean they can't be interesting!

Unfortunately, I can't do more for you than wish you good luck with your project.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Actually, this kind of behavior is already simulated by the damage dice rolls of weapons. With a weapon that does 1d6 damage some hit will only cause 1 point while others may cause the full 6 points of damage.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    That's not really how it translates in game, due to the number of bonuses that can be accumulated. Wouldn't it be possible to have a spell cast upon being hit that would either boost resistances or remove the boost from before? I'm not sure how it works but basically it doesn't have to be decided "on the spot" imo.
  • seraglioseraglio Member Posts: 122
    I'm trying to create something a little unique, but not overpowered as a defense. I dont want to create another Dwarven Defender or a high AC creature. Trying to expand whats available defensively in the game a little.

I'll try the repeating .eff and report back. Usually I avoid such things because of past experiences with scripts using too much CPU, but I'll give it a go, thanks.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Would opcode 232 work? It casts spell on condition with a condition that can be "damaged" or "hitby" which would cast a spell adding resistances up to the next time damage is taken?
    You also have to wonder for yourself: "Is this going to have any actual impact on the player? Will they even notice?" What would the difference be between this and say, a flat 5 damage reduction, or a 50% damage reduction? I doubt I'd notice the difference.