Skip to content

What am I doing wrong with Kangaxx?

Per posts on here I have the following:
My character - Cleric with one sunray
Minsc with Daystar +2 to cast sunray
Aerie with Quarterstaff +4, Ring of the Ram, 3 Scrolls of Melf's Minute Meteors and Sling + 5
Nalia with 3 scrolls of MMM

I can get the sunrays off and slam him with the ram which takes him down to near death, but then I can't get any hits with the staff or MMM. I can actually stay alive for quite a while, but I can't make damage stick. I just sit there until he finally kills my main character.

Help!

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I got through him with just daystar and a staff of rynn. I think he has really low ac? SO it might just take a few tries for the roll to go in your favor.
  • MandragoraMandragora Member Posts: 79
    You, my friend, are just too weak for him at the moment. You just have to sustain until his protections wear off. Btw are you talking about his second form or is it only the first one near death? Get protection scrolls from undead, do you have spell immunity spell?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Probably he has PfMW active. It lasts 4 rounds.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I have managed to beat Kangaxx exactly once, but he is super-easy when tackled by Minsc with a certain mace attacking with 10 APR after an improved haste - just can't keep up with all the save-or-perish attacks. Not sure if that is easy for you to gather at this point, and trying not to spoil too much if this is not yet known to you - there are at least Fifty Ways to Kill your Kangaxx.
  • graffpsreegraffpsree Member Posts: 11
    I'm having trouble with the 1st form. The other litches went down easy.

I do have protection and spell immunity. Do spells like breach or lower resistance work on his first form?
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited August 2016
    If he is protected with PfMW is a problem because you can not hit him with enchanted weapons and Breach will not work because he is immune to low level spells.

You can try to survive until his PfMWs expire, each one last 4 rounds, so 6 secs real time. Can be done easily if you have the right protections, but imo is not an efficient way to go.

let's see if there is another better way.
    You say that You are able to brin him down to near death, so the 90% of the work is done, you have only to find some way to deal a little more damage.
    Weapons don't work, spells don't work unless you have some high level damaging spell scroll, looted from Cowled Wizards.
    Items are the key. Items are often the key to solve impossible problems in this game.
    I suggest you 2 items, there are others, but those are easily available.

There is a ring that have 1 charge x day, he is not immune to its damage
    Ring of the Ram, looted from Tolgerias, Planar Sphere Quest, or you can pickpocket it going to the government building, you don't even have to begin the quest :wink: . Recruit Jan just for the purpose and give him 1 of both the potions that increase the thieving skills (staking 2 identical potions is cheap and game breaking, staking the effects of 2 different potions is not)

This should be enough, but Demiliches are very dangerous enemies, better be prepared very well, to have chances near 100%. Reloading is possible, but it should never be the key to win a battle if you have other means, and you have them.

Helm of Vahilor, give it to Minsk that is equipping the sword and the ring.
    The helm let you create a clone of him. Create the clone just a little before you beat his first form, so no time is lost when you need him, and keep him away so there is not risk to have him dispelled (Simulacrum is immune to TS, but not to DM) or imprisoned.
    Voila, you have 1 more Sunray and 1 ring more.

Now you have the power to kill almost 1 and half Kangy.
    Easily done.

EDIT I noticed that the first item that I suggest is already used, the second should be enough. Also don't waste the sunrays against the first form, you need both them later.
    Post edited by gorgonzola on
    I gave a solution of the problem, not the only one, but an easy and efficient one.

But I agree with @Mandragora , you, my friend, are just too weak for him at the moment.
    And ask yourself "can I live without that marvelous ring that I crave so much? Can I wait a little more, until the level of my party is higher and I can fight him in without using easy recipes, easy recipes that I gather from other players?

If your answer is yes you will only delay a little the battle, you don't need lev9 spells to beat him without relining so heavily on items (I assume that you are also using some very rare and OP scrolls....).
    I had never used those scrolls fighting him, even when I was a very unesperienced player, and I am pride of it, it make me feel a better player. And I want that you share the pride, that also you feel a better player, is so much rewarding, much better that wear that ring knowing that you have not really deserved it.

If your answer is no, I NEED that ring, and is fine, go and kill him.

I would suggest to try the tactic, you can learn something from the battle, and then reload, do other quests and return when your party is really ready.

I do have protection and spell immunity. Do spells like breach or lower resistance work on his first form?

If I remember correctly liches are immune to the spells up to lev 5, not realli sure if 5 or 6, but should be the first one.
    So he should be immune as they are both lev5.
    But he is far less dangerous in that form, using potions, clerical and arcane spells to buff the party and a little of positioning should be easy to tank him until his PFmW expires, if he even use it. For breach you just need to deal enough hits and waiting is not an option as it lasts hours. MMM are perfect to deal with Breach.

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited August 2016
    Liches are immune to spells from level 1-5.

Demiliches are immune to spells from level 1-8.

EDIT: Corrected.
    Post edited by Lord_Tansheron on
    So a lich can be breached and his resistance can be lowered.
    But GM to lower his chances to save against the sunray can not be used.

So a lich can be breached

From my experience with the unmodded game, Breach should not in fact work against liches. SCS and/or Spell Revisions change Breach to always work regardless of spell level immunities.
    That is also my experience and the reason that I believed that they are immune up to lev5.
    Errm you are of course correct, it's 1-5 not 1-4. Typo confusing myself ftl. Corrected the post.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I always trap spammed form 1 :smiley:
    Thanks all. I'll reassess. I never thought about PfMW
    edited August 2016

I always trap spammed form 1 :smiley:

Little cheesy but a good tactic. Even better is to trap spam the second form, you set the traps in one of the corners of the room, left side , lure the first form in the right place, Tank and bash him and when he turns in Demilich you kick him into the traps using the Ring of Ram :wink: Give it a try :smiley:
    With the mods that I use is not possible but in vanilla is a lot of fun having his dialogue and then the battle over in about one second, just when is supposed to become one of the hardest of SoA....
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

nay, I just looked up the demilich immunities with IE and they are immune to all spells of level 9 or lower, but this is an umodded game, so I don't know if game mods get rid of this immunity

I was more concerned with why my +4 attacks don't work. I can kill his 1st form now. I've got to tackle the demi, but too tired for it tonight. :(
    Tomorrow takle him fast, the second form is regenerating.
    sarevok57 said:

nay, I just looked up the demilich immunities with IE and they are immune to all spells of level 9 or lower, but this is an umodded game, so I don't know if game mods get rid of this immunity

Interesting. Maybe I'm just wrong, but I was really, really sure that lvl9 spells did work on them. I do heavily mod Demiliches though, maybe it's just that. I'll check when I'm back home after my holiday.
    @Lord_Tansheron @sarevok57 I think that he is immune, but not immune to lev10, the HLA spells that anre used in a lev9 slot. So Comet and the antiliches spells (Dragon Breath) work, and who uses Meteor Swarm, on a demilich when those use the same slot... :smiley:
    This can deceive and lead to think that lev9 is fine with them.
    Spell levels are weird that way, I guess.

Another important thing to note is that some innate spells like e.g. Inquisitor's Dispel Magic are in fact "lvl 0" spells - which means they do not fall under spell level immunities AT ALL and will always work against Liches/Demiliches (level-based rolls still apply, of course).
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    @graffpsree
    Be warned of the floating little skull ^^ . You are lucky they patched it back to its original rather predictable targeting method (one of the earlier patches really let that skull have highly advance targeting/attacking range). I must be getting lazy these days, everytime i face Kangaxx, I choose the cheesiest way out xD (I bet those 2 above knows which way I meant xD).
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Bubbles said:

@graffpsree
    Be warned of the floating little skull ^^ . You are lucky they patched it back to its original rather predictable targeting method (one of the earlier patches really let that skull have highly advance targeting/attacking range). I must be getting lazy these days, everytime i face Kangaxx, I choose the cheesiest way out xD (I bet those 2 above knows which way I meant xD).

use a scroll of protection from magic, and then use any +4 or +5 weapons you have until he dies, lol?

edited August 2016
    @sarevok57
    haha you got it xD (I am abit shy so I usually won't let my party members see how cheesy I am :wink: )

Actually is the scroll of protection from undead
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    edited August 2016
    Vanilla Kangaxx isn't too bad, if you have a fighter/mage just cast spell immunity abjuration after the usual buffs, if you have a berserker just rage or grab Korgan and let him rage, after that go to town with a +4 or better weapon, in some version daystar hits as +2 so maybe that's your problem? Also scs nerfs MMM to hit as +2 weapons and thus can't hurt him. Aerie won't be able to take him down with staff of the ram due to his regen (he uses his own ring) and his huge damage resistances. He should be vulnerable to dragons breath which is by far the easiest way to kill demi-liches imho. Scroll of prot from magic used on him wont stop him from using trap the soul though..

If you're talking scs spellcasting demi-liches... Then do the above plus use prot from magic on him. Before HLA levels I don't know any sure ways to kill him besides that. Prot from magic on charname he can dispel with spellstrike and his casting is very very dangerous. But you get 2 scrolls from Ribald after all and spending one to kill Kangaxx is a very good trade imho.

TLDR; berserker rage (not Minsc) or spell immunity abjuration on a capable melee fighter wielding a +4 weapon and then cast prot from magic on Kangaxx.
    Otherguy said:

Then do the above plus use prot from magic on him. Before HLA levels I don't know any sure ways to kill him besides that. Prot from magic on charname he can dispel with spellstrike and his casting is very very dangerous.

Some players regard this as cheese and/or cheating.
    Imo is a legit and clever tactic as in the spell description the recepient of the spell is generically indicated as target (and nowhere is indicated that the target has to be a party member...) and being protected from spells and prevented from casting them are both expected effects.

It can trivialize some battles, I agree, but this is different matter.

@gorgonzola
    hehe you missed an earlier patch where where demi-gaxx target everyone else but not the nearest target neither the protected target and his attacks covers the whole map .... that time only safe way is to use that cheesy scroll soloing it
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Item Revisions makes the scroll only usable on self and dispellable with Spellstrike as per SCS. Not that many spellcasters memorize Spellstrike but demiliches definitely do because they're level 35 and use PnP slots/level meaning they have a lot of slots.
  • DyaraDyara Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2016

Kangaxx the Lich wears a Min1HP item because actually you're not supposed to kill him. Instead once he's down to 1 HP he's supposed to start a dialog ("Still you do not understand...") and transform into the Demilich form. But sometimes the dialog does not start and if that happens he does not change and he can't be killed (even Ctrl+Y doesn't work). You would still see damage messages but no damage is applied because of the Min1HP item.

The reason is that Kangaxx the Lich runs the following script

IF HP(Myself,1) Global("KangaxxHurt","LOCALS",0) THEN RESPONSE #100 SetGlobal("KangaxxHurt","LOCALS",1) StartDialogueNoSet([PC]) END

If for some reason the dialog does not start when Kangaxx is on 1 HP the script will never try again because the KangaxxHurt variable is set to 1 and will never reset (unless you do that yourself using the console: C:SetGlobal("KangaxxHurt","LOCALS",0), targeting Kangaxx required of course).

Not sure why sometimes the dialog does not start (the problem also occurs with Abazigal for example) but using the trigger HP(Myself,1) in the dialog seems a good starting point (why not use Global("KangaxxHurt","LOCALS",1)?) since Kangaxx wears the Ring of Gaxx and he might have regenerated some HP in the meantime.
    Post edited by Dyara on