Skip to content

Faster walking speed

trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
Most of the time i feel like the characters are taking leisure stroll, which gets quite annoying after god knows which play-through (i usually cheat six boots of speed at the beginning of the game every time). i'm not suggesting lightning speed or making the boots of speed obsolete, but maybe a bit quicker walk or run/walk toggle would improve the action part of the game.
AN_ALPACA_WADAFUKwendigoAzL0nstephanmartinsGrogJalily

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Hmm, I think that BG2 actually had a faster walking speed than BG1. If they're using the ToB code its very possible that characters are getting a walking speed increase by default.
    Ingwarr23AzL0n
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    very good point. well, i guess i would change suggestion to speeding the whole world up a bit (let's face it, the wolf still approaches when attacking, it's not exactly running in rage or anything :P).
    on the other side, maybe a party could run, while the world keeps its standard speed, but when creatures go hostile, they change their speed to equally match players.
    Ingwarr23wendigoJalily
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    I think walking speeds are very important insofar as combat is concerned. The slow movement actually makes combat more tactical. Consider NWN2 where characters bound across the screen and are in combat in a second or two. That actually makes it harder for archers/wizards and non-melee characters. Similarly boosting movement speed isn't just a convenience boost but allows you to become more effective at fighting those kinds of enemies.

Just to reiterate therefore, I think Bhryaen's suggestion is the best way of working this in, improving the overall move/game speed. But generally I would be cautious about overdoing it.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited May 2012
    I actually wants it slower in masscombats.
    So we Can see whats going on.
    Perhabs a speedclock, so you Can adjust the speed in the gameplay.
    Corianderwendigo
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    I believe walking speed increases with AI Updates per second. 60 updates versus 50 updates makes a big difference, I've noticed.
    trinitKore
    well it seems to be obvious what majority would prefer. :)

i wonder how it would work the other way around- a bit faster speed while exploring the wilderness or delivering an item through the whole city, but slowing down when in combat mode to retain tactical opportunity.

i admit request was a bit hasty (no pun), but it seems there are some possibilities that could make the gameplay smoother without ruining any vital part. i guess we will see.

if nothing else, i still remember to this day the "createitem:boots01" code. :)
  • chinamanchinaman Member Posts: 2
    Couldn't the guys just implement a running/sprinting button? So you can run or sprint whenever you want for a period of time? The period being affected by the characters encumbrance?
    wendigo
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    edited June 2012
    While I do feel for you, I really dont think it's a major problem. walk speed is perfectly fine for me, that's just the games pace. That's maybe one of the reasons why we like it. it gives you time, and immersion is not so complete if you can just get from one point to the other in a second.
    the combat speed problem that u guys raised is a bit bigger thing i think, and true, a wolf's walking speed is not the same as its charging speed (same goes for characters of course). But while it really would be better to have something like this, I feel that it would require too much work in proportion to other issues we have. But maybe it could be solved by a simply assigning two speeds for everyone: a regular walking speed and a combat speed.

Also, it would be great to have more boots of speed in the game :) if I remember well, there were five, which was still ok, if u managed to speed up your 6th party member through some other way. But what if you couldn't? Or if you accidentally missed one? Since it's mainly a comfort feature anyway, maybe it would be really helpful if there would be just one or two more pairs avaible in-game, through merchants.
    Lindeblom
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Couldn't the guys just implement a running/sprinting button? So you can run or sprint whenever you want for a period of time? The period being affected by the characters encumbrance?
    I think such a thing could occur, until you encounter or come within visual range of hostile units. That would probably work well.
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    @Tanthalas

''Hmm, I think that BG2 actually had a faster walking speed than BG1. If they're using the ToB code its very possible that characters are getting a walking speed increase by default. ''

That would be good.

The boots of speed from BG1 also needs to be nerfed but I guess that'll be done automatically as well when transferring to TOB engine right? I hate it when my characters are hasted but still they can't keep up with my the one that has the boots of speed on.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    I'm opposed to increasing walkspeed or adding running for the sole reason that almost all games nowadays seem to be geared towards speed and rushing. What's the point in crafting these incredibly rich and beautiful RPG worlds if the players will just sprint by the scenery and "neglect to stop and smell the roses"?

(Besides, if you really need to get somewhere fast you can always use a haste spell provided your party has a wizard of the appropriate level)
    AzL0n
    @Winthal

I disagree with maintaining BG1's original walking speed. I've replayed vanilla BG1 recently and it was painfully slow, I had to CLUAConsole in some boots of speed for everyone to be able to enjoy the game.
    trinitlansounet
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2012
    I think we'd veer into too much micromanagement. We'd be close to becoming Jagged Alliance or XCom all we would need to add would be walk, run, kneel and crawl buttons. There should be one speed like there currently is. If it's too slow then speed it up at all times but I don't want more buttons to push every. single. time. I want to do something with my character such as have a battle.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    NWN_babaYaga
    @smeagolheart Have you tried a game called "QWOP"? It has some of the best movement controls I have ever seen in a game, it would be a dream come true if it was implemented in the walking-system of BG:EE.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2012
    @Winthal I haven't tried it but I have seen it and decided I didn't want to try it haha.

It would be like saying what we need is more control over our PCs movements. Press L for the PCs left foot then R for the PCs right foot, backspace to walk backwards or "moon-walk" and ctrl-alt-S then B to stop all movement. We need this now.
    @smeagolheart haha :P I be trollin'
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Baldur's Gate configuration (has in all games) -> Gameplay -> Miscellaneous -> Frame Rate.

The request you did is already on the old game.

"Ai Frame Rate controls the overall speed of the game. Baldur's Gate (II, i'm using BGT) is designed to run with AI Frame Rate at 30. Increase this option on a fast machine will increase the overall speed of the game. Reducing this option on a slow machine may increase playability by reducing Frame Rate slowdown. WARNING: this option must be equal in all players machines during a multiplayer game."

Frame Rate grows or reduce the game overall speed, therefore it don't focus only on the party but on the entire game environment.
    trinit
    @kamuizin: i never ever touched that option. it seems i still have new things to learn about bg games. i tested this and it works very good (for me 45 was a good ratio between speed and maintaining believable speed of spells etc).
    like i said, i don't want them to run, but it is pain to have them drag also.

in any case, thank you. :)

still, some speed issues still remain with certain creatures (wolves etc, as mentioned in above posts...), but i guess that is not that much a priority when kits, quests and eyecandy can be developed much further.
    @kamuizin
    Personally, I actually don't like that option much because I'd like for movement speed to be increased, but casting time/rounds/turns to keep the same speed.
  • SaberstormSaberstorm Member Posts: 60
    hmmm i agree increasing walking speed should be a possibilty . shift click somwhere to run? like in fallout
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    Maybe if you call your PC 'Sonic'.

Speeding up walking alone could make you too strong. You'd have to speed up enemies' walk speed as well and they'd close distance too fast for missile to be useful.

I have an alternate take on this idea, here.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    When playing tutu I deliberatly reconfigured the tweakpack and deactivated the option of reintroducing the slow BG1 walking speed. Playing BG1-tutu with BG2 walking speed absolutely was the better gaming experience.