Skip to content

Spells you Always use

ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
What are some of your favorite spells, or that you use the most in battle?

I've seen plenty of threads about spells that people don't use, but so far none about what they do.

For me, my favorite spells and the ones I commonly use are:

1.) Dragon Breath
2.) Energy Blades
3.) Fireball
4.) Dispel
5.) Haste (before I get boots of speed)
6.) Summon Dark Planetar
7.) Wild Bears
8.) Blade Barrier
9.) Greater Restoration (before I get the amulet that makes me immune to level drain)
10.) Resurrection

Comments

• PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2012
    Magic Missle: cheap, quick, ranged; what else does a mage need?

Dual/multi-classed fighter/mage? Then definitively Mordekainen's Sword: whack 'n slash!
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Essential spells a mage should memorize:

1. Stoneskin + Mirror Images, better put them in a sequencer or contingency
    2. Animate Dead, Mordenkainen Sword, Planetar (for enemy spellcaster, fighter, or in general, resp)
    3. Timestop + Improve Alacrity rules

Priest/Druid:

1. Deva/Elemental
    2. Holy Smite/Creeping Doom
    3. General Buffs: Chaotic Command, Death Ward, Protection Against Evil 10 radius, Remove Fear
    4. Maybe Mass Cure if low on potions/hoarder
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    My must-haves for a mage are Magic Missile, Fireball and Haste in BG1. In BG2, I get a lot of use out of the anti-mage spells as well, such as Breach and Pierce Magic. Two mages with a couple of protection removal spells each means I can get rid of enemy spells faster than they can cast them, leaving them easy prey for fighters or summons.
    For clerics, Remove Fear is very useful in BG1. In BG2 Restoration becomes pretty much essential at certain points of the game.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I categorized them in between levels and spoiler tags because it would be a insanely long list otherwise)
    NOTE that this is the list of *all* spells I *always* use in every single game if possible at all by humanly powers. Favorite spells are far fewer and I'll list them on the bottom! :P

Wizard Spells :

1st level :

Magic Missiles
    Chromatic Orb
    Find Familiar (if applicable)
    Protection from Evil
    Protection from Petrification
    Shield
    Friends

2nd level :

Blur
    Web
    Knock
    Melf's Acid Arrow
    Mirror Images

3rd level :

Haste
    Melf Minute Meteors
    Spell Thrust
    Vampiric Touch

4th level :

Greater Malison
    Improved Invisibility
    Spirit Armor
    Stoneskin
    Minor Sequencer

5th level :

Breach
    Lower Resistance
    Spell Immunity
    Spell Shield

6th level :

Contingency
    Death Fog
    Tenser's Transformation
    True Sight
    Spell Deflection
    Pierce Magic
    Improved Haste
    Protection from Magical Weapons

7th level :

Kherbal's Warding Whip
    Limited Wish
    Ruby Ray of Reversal
    Spell Sequencer
    Spell Turning
    Mordenkeinen Sword

8th level :

AD's Horrid Wilting
    Pierce Shield
    Protection from Energy
    Simulacrum
    Spell Trigger

9th level :

Black Blade of Disaster
    Chain Contingency
    Spell Strike
    Time Stop
    Wish

10th level :

Energy Blades
    Improved Alacrity
    Summon (Dark) Planetar

Of which, my favorites are :

Chromatic Orb
    Mirror Images
    Vampiric Touch
    Stoneskin
    Breach
    Pierce Magic
    Mordenkeinen Sword
    Spell Trigger
    Black Blade of disaster
    Energy Blades

One might understand why I dislike terribly playing sorcerers now XD
    Divine spells later on... this post is gargatuan as it is already >.<
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Energy blades and minute meteors. Even more fun with 9 levels of kensai or 10 swashbuckler :)
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    Heal. A lot.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    edited October 2012
    1. Magic Missile
    2. Chromatic Orb
    3. Mirror Image
    4. Stoneskin
    5. Chaos (what a completely legendary spell, by the way)
    6. Breach
    7. Pierce Magic
    8. Chain Lightning
    9. Khelben's Warding Whip
    10. Dragon Breath
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The spells I use the most are likely defense-stripping ones, mostly breach, ruby ray of reversal and pierce shield. With SCS and spell revisions, ruby ray ends up critical as pretty much every mage will use spell immunity: abjuration.

Other than what's mentioned above I also like death spell, great for clearing out a lot of ambushes and summons.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    For BG1, sleep, melf's meteors and web are my most used spells. Magic missile gets reasonable use in both games.

For BG2, stoneskin is by far the most used while horrid wilting is #1 offensively as soon as I get it. It gets immediately combo'd with chain contingency when I get that in TOB.

I get good use out of invisibility in both games and true seeing, breach and lower resistance in BG2 are frequent uses.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    I'm going to try and make a top5 list of mage spells I use. Let's see... (NOTE: the list is not necessarily statistical, since lower lvl spells would definetly win because of them being avaible early on until the end.)
    5. Dragon's Breath: True a lvl10 spell, so I only use it in ToB, but once I get it... Oh boy... :)
    4. Fireball: The classic. Although I'm thinking about switching to Skull Trap now. Still not sure about it
    3. Chain Lightning: Before Dragon's Breath it is the strongest damage spell that hits multiple enemies without endangering your party members (or anyone else...).
    2. Stoneskin: I usually memorize two with mages, and if I'm out of the extra skin layers, it's definetly rest time baby.
    1. Magic Missle: The best. Great damage throughout the game, quick cast, magic damage, not elemental, and being a lvl1 spell, you usually have enough of it. Also when killing weaker opponents, it doesn't feel like a waste of magical energy. (I prefer MM to Chromatic Orb, since the Orb is a game of chance, while the MM provides steady and strong damage)

Abi Dhazi's, Mirror Image and Blur was also a very strong candidate. I looove ADHW, but it is a bit too situational. Effect stays for long and endangers party, while enemeis can get out of it. Still great though, and I use it a lot! Would be nr6 I think. Mirror and Blur I only use if enemies get too close, which doesnt happen if I'm good :)

@Cheesebelly I still don't get it why you dislike sorcerers. Your list is not that long, except for level 1, 6 and 7. Prot from petr is so situational (ok, you use it quitet some times in BG1, true), while prot from evil can be cast by a cleric too. About lvl6 and 7 you could have the party's other mage cast the spell you can't or use scrolls.
    edited October 2012
    Senash said:

I looove ADHW, but it is a bit too situational. Effect stays for long and endangers party, while enemeis can get out of it.

Horrid Wilting does nothing to endanger your party and has an instant impact like a fireball or chain lightening. The graphic stays for longer but there is no lingering effect as the spell doesn't do anything after the damage is applied in one instant. You can think of it as a super powered fireball that can't hurt your own party.

@Senash : well, was rather pointing out at the perfect solo wizard run, which sadly, in my case, a sorcerer can't do :P

As for ADHW - the effect is instantaneous and enemy only, so there's no danger in hurting your party (the same can't be said fro Death Fog and Incendiary Cloud though)
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Because it's a Bhaalspawn power and because I can memorize it, Vampiric Touch is usually the "favorite spell" on my character info screen. It's a great way to heal yourself and finish off an enemy at the same time. I always liked the ghoulish hand that appears after casting it.

I keep one or two Skull Trap spells memorized at all times. It has more versatility than Fireball and there's no level cap on damage. Plus, the animation is, well, a skull. 'Nough said :)

@Senash : well, was rather pointing out at the perfect solo wizard run, which sadly, in my case, a sorcerer can't do :P

As for ADHW - the effect is instantaneous and enemy only, so there's no danger in hurting your party (the same can't be said fro Death Fog and Incendiary Cloud though)

Ah, yeah, for solo runs you are absolutely right.
    My mistake with ADHW! Haven't played for more than two years now, mixed it with the other two. In that case it definetly goes to nr3 in my list! :)
    Mortianna said:

I keep one or two Skull Trap spells memorized at all times. It has more versatility than Fireball and there's no level cap on damage. Plus, the animation is, well, a skull. 'Nough said :)

Yeah. but you can't make it explode if there are no enemies in the centre of the detonation. And the animation of the fireball is, well, a big f***ing ball of fire! :)
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Two favorites, both low level & really only applicable to BG1.

The level one cleric spell Command. I didn't use this much in the original game, because there was a dearth of healing options from levels 1-3 (that is to say: Almost none.). Tutu/BG2 opens that up a bit, and makes this insanely useful single target spell more available. It'll knock out anybody from ogre bezerkers to chapter end bosses. Once they're down, they have no defense and will die very rapidly.

The level two mage spell Blur. In BG1 where every roll counts and your AC sucks, this gives every enemy targeting you a -3 penalty to *all* their attack rolls, and confers a +1 saving throw bonus onto you. This spell works really well when combined with te level one Armor, giving you a decent base AC of 4. (Mirror Images is a better bet in the long run, but when you're just starting out, you don't get as many mirrors & there's a much larger chance you can still be hit.)
  • SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85
    I was never good at using spells. I like web in BG1.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I always liked melf's acid arrow. It always hits, it stops spell casters, and even does a bit of damage. It also has a cool name and spell icon ;)
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Magic Missile.
    Best mage spell ever.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Horrid Wilting is one of the reasons I prefer elf fighter/mages to gnome fighter/illusionists (who don't get any necromancy spells)...
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    ... and Finger of Death is another one that has them rolling in the aisles :-)
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    AHF said:

For BG1, sleep, melf's meteors and web are my most used spells. Magic missile gets reasonable use in both games.

For BG2, stoneskin is by far the most used while horrid wilting is #1 offensively as soon as I get it. It gets immediately combo'd with chain contingency when I get that in TOB.

I get good use out of invisibility in both games and true seeing, breach and lower resistance in BG2 are frequent uses.

@AHF Melf's meteors isn't in BG1 is it...?
    @stygga nah, they are not, but they are likely to be in the EE if you ask me.
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Breach, Breach, and... oh, yeah... Breach.
  • RenulanRenulan Member Posts: 109
    All your typical wizard defenses, of course.. depending on the encounter.

For big things, Ex: Dragons, Lower Resistance x3 in a spell trigger then chain contingency Horrid Wiltingx3.. :P

Then typical fights is still normally HW, the spell is just too good.

Before level 9 spells is a jumble of different offensive spells, with the right defensive ones you can't really go wrong. Melf's minute for things you can't kill with your spells yet.

(I haven't done a group playthrough with a sorc/wizard in *years* haha, but about 30+ solo playthroughs :D)

And for BGI, you can't really go wrong... Sleep is your best friend, hah.
    @Rann : I love breach so much but sadly it won't work on the bugged Dragon's Stoneskin in vanilla. Just remembered that the hard way yesterday >.< (I mean, no hard ways, Tenser Transformed Nalia was still able to dominate the Dragon anyway XD )
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited October 2012
    stygga said:

AHF said:

@AHF Melf's meteors isn't in BG1 is it...?
    No - that is right. I meant the acid arrow for mage encounters. Web and sleep are the top two, though. Incapacitate and then everyone rain arrows, rocks, and bolts, etc. Both melf's are good in BG2.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2012
    tbh I don't get why people use Dragon's Breath with Comet right there...
    Comparing the two, yes Dragon's Breath has a higher damage potential but considering it doesn't have a save penalty and how late you get it, most people will save against it. Comet will always do the 10d10 damage and should they fail a save then they are stunned for 1d4 rounds. Granted unless there is some difference in the bonuses on save vs. breath and save vs. paralyzation then they will fail just as rarely on Comet as on Dragon's Breath.
    That means 10d10 vs. 1d4 rounds of stun. It might just be that I'm silly but I really like the stun :P
    I myself don't like Dragon's Breath too much - simply because each 9th level spell slot is too important for me. In general, I'd say I found spells like Time Stop more important that late in the game - or Planetar or Energy Blades for that matter. But that may just be me - it's up to preferences after all! :)