Skip to content

Ogres and THE Hammer

JDowJDow Member Posts: 71
Silly question, but has anyone ever played a Ranger with Ogre as their racial enemy AND also wielded the +1 Hammer that's +4 vs. gaints humanoids (which can be pick-pocketed in Ulgoth's Beard relatively early) and then gone and had some fun with Ogres, Ogre Bezerkers, and Ogre Mages (Kahrk)? Surely, it can't be often in the game you can get a +8 advantage over an opponent.

Also, am I right in saying Ogrillions don't count as Orges for the racial enemy bonus?
Post edited by JDow on

Comments

• KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Ogrillons do count as Ogres for both the racial enemy bonus and the giant humanoids bonus. Half-ogres (including Tazok) are also affected.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    well that's a bit overkill

besides I can only think of 2 ogres that aren't easily killed (larze and khark)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    actually, in the original BG I did this EVERYTIME I played a ranger ( which was quite rare) and I did it mostly for the lols, but at the same time, there was also another reason why I did it:

see for some reason, in the bg2 engine, when you look at your attack roll in the dialogue box, it gives you this whacky weird arbitrary to hit bonus, and its because they use your "base thac0" and whatever the difference of your "main thac0" is, they say that is your bonus

so for example, lets say your base thac0 was 17, and your main thac0 was 15, if you were to look at your dialogue box during combat, you would have an artificial "+2" to hit on your attacks, I remember playing SoA for the first time back in 2000 and being confused as to what was going on, in my opinion that was a very bad implantation

so anyways, in bg1 vanilla, that did not exist, if you got a bonus on the attack roll, it is actually because you are getting a bonus on top of what your actual thac0 was, so for example, if your thac0 in bg1 was 17, and you were a ranger with racial enemy ogre, you would see that on your attack rolls, you would be getting a +4 and essentially making your thac0 13 against them

so, what I would do, is have a ranger, wearing drizzt's chainmail, using the boots of stealth, pick pocket the hammer, and go to the area where shoal the neired is ( because there is a big ogre group there) and then I would stealth up, and go attack one of the ogres, and have a whooping +11 on my attack roll ( which I believe is the biggest bonus you could have in the dialogue box on the attack roll in the vanilla bg)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited September 2016
    ah ha, I knew I had a screenshot of it somewhere, had to dig DEEP to find it, but here it is:

this was done by a cleric/ranger
    and then my next screen shot, I had my thief backstab with one of drizzt's scimitars and did 70 damage on a critical lulz