Skip to content

Would it better if Hit Points were determined by Constitution AND Strength?

Disclaimer: I don't expect anything in this post to be actually implemented in the game.

There is no relation between Constitution and Strength in D&D character creation. A character can throw the most powerful punches, and not be able to take anything in return (Glass Cannon), while another character can take obscene amounts of damage, and yet not be able to register any him/herself (Stone Wall).

Now the first example might work for a golem made of glass, and the second one for a sort of squishy blob, but I don't think they work for humanoid creatures, whose muscle composition demands at least some measure of correlation between the ability to cause physical damage and the ability to take physical damage.

So what if it were like this:
  • Strenght determines damage adjustment, among other things, as usual.
  • Constitution determines fatigue, resistance to intoxication, saving throw bonuses (make them available for all races maybe?), resistance to disease and poison?
  • An average of Strength and Contitution determines Hit Point bonuses (maybe carrying capacity as well?)
Tell me what you think.

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I think you should try drinking with my mate, Danny... couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag, but will just keep going regardless of what you pour into/onto/around the horrid little gribbler...
    Strength 6, Constitution 27!!!
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Strength is already majorly important for frontliners, while health is the only clear benefit of constitution. I don't think this should be taken away from constitution, certainly not in favor of strength, which is already providing attack bonuses, damage bonuses, and carrying capacity, among minor stuff.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    Balance-wise, no.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Strength already affects more things than any other attribute. So I don't think it would be a good idea.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    In game sense, when they design rhem, the designers intended for a fairly straightforward function of each attributes. Reason is for a simple entry into D&D and encourage more players.

Having said that however, D&D also has a ruling that DMs may modify anything to suit they campaign.
    The idea of HP is not only about toughness, it also involves certain amount of probabilities such as an element of undefined "luck" and unknown/unexplained extra toughness due to magic or nature etc elements. HP is only, in a very small potion, defined by actual material toughness in most cases otherwise every human or demi-human will be relatively squishy by all means. Thus they do not wish to complicate these factors and thereby making HP improvements only adjusted by constitution.

Another instance why strength should not influence HP for example is diamond. It is a very strong material but it can still be chipped rather easily.

• NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    Bubbles said:

Another instance why strength should not influence HP for example is diamond. It is a very strong material but it can still be chipped rather easily.

Sure, but I already addressed this in the OP: The characters we create aren't made of diamond, glass or jelly. They are humanoid creatures (humans, elves, dwarfs, half-orcs etc.) made of flesh and blood.
    Thels said:

Strength is already majorly important for frontliners, while health is the only clear benefit of constitution. I don't think this should be taken away from constitution, certainly not in favor of strength, which is already providing attack bonuses, damage bonuses, and carrying capacity, among minor stuff.

I understand balance concerns. So what if we take some things away from strength?

For example, carrying capacity can be determined by an average of STR and CON, while hit adjustment can be determined by STR and DEX (one has to be accurate to register a hit after, even when using melee weapons).

In this scheme, only damage adjustment and bashing would be determined by STR only.

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    If Pillars of Eternity has taught me anything, it's that mixing scores' functions in order to make them harder to dump will only make players unhappy.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I know that The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind had Strength affect STARTING health, along with Endurance, but that really hurt races that had a penalty in either, or worse, both, and races that had bonuses in both were just walking meat tanks at the start.

That wouldn't affect Elves much, they're already used to lower HPs, but it would Halflings, who already get the... short... end of the stick, with their rather small class selection. And now all non-Warrior classes would need to roll, what, 16 STR on top of 16 CON to get their best health, while still managing to get high in their needed stats, like WIS and CHA for a Druid, for instance. Oh, and we can't forget the max DEX allowed by the race too, for their AC. Having to get 5 out of 6 stats is MAD beyond belief, and far too much of a pain to do.

And this would affect NPCs too, wouldn't it? Imoen would go from being perfectly designed for Dual-Classing to having even less HP now, making her far too squishy. Will Xan, the squishiest character of the game, suddenly become beefier because of his STR? Will Viccy's health tank now? It's really best to leave things simple. D&D isn't supposed to be 100% realistic, that's its draw. That's why we play it.
  • GloatingSwineGloatingSwine Member Posts: 18
    If you structured a system to work from the ground up with HP determined from multiple factors, then it would be appropriate for that system.

D&D wasn't designed that way, and trying to backport it in at this stage wouldn't really add anything interesting.

Martials tend to need both strength and con anyway, wizards don't need either or hitpoints because they have so many other ways to deal with problems.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Cha affecting saving throws would definitely make the skill more useful. 3rd and 5th move saves in the direction you suggest, though. In 3rd, you have:

- Fortitude saves (to resist bodily effects, such as poison, disease, shapechange, etc...), where constitution provides a bonus.
    - Reflex saves (to dodge effects, such as traps and fireballs, as well as reacting to something in time), where dexterity provides a bonus.
    - Will saves (to resist mental effects, such as charm, sleep, fear, etc...), where wisdom provides a bonus.

5th one-upped that and provided saving throws for all ability scores.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192

I don't see the problem. STR is power and lifting capacity; CON is basically health. Very large and strong people can have allergies, or asthma, or blood that doesn't clot well, or low pain tolerance, etc. etc. etc.

Small people can be the picture of health, with high pain tolerance, resistance to disease, etc. Think about someone who does a lot of yoga.

In my proposal, it is still Constitution alone that determines those 'internal' aspects of health.

The problem is this: Do Hit Points really represent internal health (allergies or lack thereof, immunities etc.), or are they more about the body's level of endurance against external damage? I think it's the latter.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    An interesting idea but lets get a bit technical and see how it would be implemented in a hypothetical D&D game with this new rule.

If an average of STR and CON was used to determine HP - a) would you still use different dice to determine starting HP for different classes?
    - what would the math equation for starting hp look like? and what would it look like for each level?

lets says a warrior has a combined 16 CON and 16 STR = 32 and a mage had a combined also of 32 - how would this affect the hp? would it be the same or different? or would class no longer matter when it comes to determining HP?

b) would the average in some way directly affect hp or would it be modified in some way?

c) if you had a high CON but a low STR how would this be adjusted and conversely how would it affect hp? Would it be some kind of % adjustment or something?

d) would CON and STR stat raise or would it be fixed? 2nd ed vs 3rd edition rules for stats.

e) would CON affect all saving throws or only those saving throws that affect the body - ie poison, perhaps elemental spells that affect the body in general rather than lets says running and leaping away from a fireball - which should be a DEX saving throw.

g) Shouldn't DEX also be included in HP modification - since DEX measures your movement ability - low dex basically means you are moving pretty badly and this can affect HP couldn't it? or how about WIS or INT that can negatively or positively affect HP in some way? low INT or WIS can seriously affect an individuals health in general.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I would say no because I absolutely love these characters who look fragile (not muscular or bad at fights) but take more punches than anyone else in the story.

If Dragon Ball Z were AD&D (child) Gohan would be a boy with average strength (he's a child) , but those who watched the cartoon remember him being beaten up by every single villain in the game . Clearly he has one of the highest constitutions in the game.

Also, let's not forget our best friend Imoen, as she also fits in that stereotype - a kind, childish maybe physically fragile person, but boy how did she resist all those tests from Irenicus? High constitution must have been more relevant than strength.