Skip to content

New Playthrough K/T

Hi guys i'm trying to complete the hole trilogy with a new character this time around i wanted to play Kensai -> Thief for Kai and Grandmaster

So what i really want out of this character is a good backstabber and just all around good fighter

I want my endgame weapons to be MH: Dagger of the Star +5 to restealth and backstab again
Off: Short Sword of Mask +5 to root target + level drain

another weapon choice is MH: Angurvadal +5 higher backstab dmg + 22 strength
Off: Dagger of the Star +5 restealth and backstab

or Mh: Dagger of the Star +5 restealth and backstab
Off: The Answerer +4 -15% magic resist each hit

It should look like this cast improved haste on me than send my group in and i come for the backstab and my damgae should be pretty good without stealth but because of the dagger and improved haste i should be backstabbing like most of the times or thats how i immagine this character =)

So my problem now is how the hell do i spend my proficiency points i thought of going two weapon style and Dagger in BG1 for Dagger of Venom the Problem is if i go with dagger there are no good ones in BG2 until Dagger of the Star

Ok my question now is should i start with Long swords than go daggers ?
Another Option is going Multiclass for fighter HLA with improved haste and Crit ahhhh i dont know what to do pls help me!!! =)

ps: if i go dual class than i dual my kensai at lvl 9 so i dont have so much downtime

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Well, if you can start with 18 Charisma, I would go with daggers, as you can snag a Dagger +1 in Candlekeep REALLY easy, only costing you a quarrel of crossbow bolts. Starting off with a magical weapon so quickly means you don't have to worry about breaking your main hand at all. I'd also go with Single Weapon Style rather than Dual Wielding, if just because critical backstabs are so tasty. And I'm pretty sure it's only your first attack when you go from stealth that critically hits. Might as well make it have a better chance to go critical, and get a little AC out of it in the process. Especially useful as you won't be wearing any armor until you get the Use Any Item HLA.

Also, you don't have to worry about downtime as much when you're dualing into a thief, they share the fastest leveling rate in the game with bards.

As for a Fighter/Thief multiclass, well on one hand, it'll be more survivable than the Kensei - Thief, as they can wear armor, but on the other hand, they'll only be able to put two pips into a weapon, which, admittedly, does allow them to wield a larger selection of weapons more competently than a five-pip focused fighter. If you want a full on devastating backstabber, you want Kensei - Thief.
  • XaelzXaelz Member Posts: 2
    I dont know if its worth missing out on my offhand weapon if im going single weapon style

Because in Tob there are a lot of enemys backstab immune and with dual weapon style i would have more dmg right?
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    You backstab with just a single weapon equipped amd then immediately equip the second weapon once you've made the first attack. Requires some micromanagement but worth it for a 10% chance of critical
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    You actually only gain a single extra attack per round when dual-wielding, that's why most people use it for other things, like that hammer that sets your strength to 25, and so on. And the off-hand is always at a THAC0 disadvantage, not much, sure, but it's still less than your main hand.

I'll admit to some personal bias for Single Weapon, though. I just love the idea of it. Dual-wielding or great-weapon wielding gets a little boring after a while to me.