Skip to content

adding and removing item charges

seraglioseraglio Member Posts: 122
Hi all. I'm new to modding in BG:EE and looking for some general guidance. I'm playing around trying to create a "simple" point based magic system for a kit. The specifics are irrelevant, I'm just looking for a simple way to increment and decrement an integer and not lose track of the current count.

So far I've tried to use item charges and "stack size" and been perplexed that neither of these seems to be easily increased or decreased via opcodes.

I first tried to use item charges and opcode 243. Unfortunately, it doesn't take negative numbers. I've read it used to =(

Then I tried using combinations of opcodes 111, 112, and 122 to create and remove items from inventory, hoping to use the stack size to store my "points". No go, none takes negative numbers and creating additional stackable items replaces rather than incrementing stack size.

Hoping someone has tried something similar and can tell me I'm missing a simple way of doing this.

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Point-based magic in the Infinity Engine is actually quite hard, and definitely not something I would recommend to someone just starting off. I'd look up @Kwiat_W 's Psionics Unleashed mod, although the comments in that mod are not in English, so it might not be as approachable as you'd like.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • seraglioseraglio Member Posts: 122
    thanks for the replies. You two are the experts, so I appreciate it!

I didn't mean to be rude but in other threads I've seen rules lawyers question me, and whether my endeavor was worth doing at all, rather than provide engine expertise. Its not about if its worth doing, or is appropriate , its about the challenge of bending the game to my will! I'm not distributing any new mods, just trying to learn the limitations of the infinity engine and play around. I've been modding for decades, especially NWN/Player Resource Consortium, and a dozen other games.

I was looking at making a quick and dirty spellfire channeler. I dont care how close to PnP it is. My only need is to easily add and remove "points" with simple .eff files. And that those points be easily visible in the UI, like a stack of items or charges on a wand. That's all. Once I get there, ill fudge the rest, its just personal project, doesn't have to be perfect. Seems simple, but cant seem to get it done.

An example of what advice i'd be looking for is say trying to "overflow" opcode 122, hoping it wraps around to a negative ..something like that (doesnt work, its a 4bit field, going over FFFF/65535 just wraps back to positive one). But thats the kind of advice I'm looking for, not "Spellfire Channelers are overpowered" or "Uberdude1 already created one 10 years ago" thats totally incompatible with EE2.0/toBEx. Sorry, thats the sort of frustrating advice i've been getting, and why i want to focus on method, not end results. I just want to learn the ends and outs of Infinity engine beyond whats in IEDSP. I've read your posts on Tome and Blood and Might and Guile and learned "TONS" of things about the new engine that are totally undocumented, as well as tips and tricks on how to get around things. Thats what I'm hoping for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.