Skip to content

Infinity Engine EE - line endings characters CR LF, LF and CR

ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
Hi, I cannot find any confirmation/clarification about this matter. So I want to ask here:

Does Infinity Engine EE have some specific requirements regarding CR LF, LF or CR for specific files? Or it dosen't matter and any Infinity Engine EE files could have CR LF/LF/CR line endings and it won't cause troubles?

Calling @Avenger_teambg @elminster

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Use cr/lf
    ALIEN
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    Many thanks for this clarification! It's related to git/github/other hosting and the way of downloading files directly through repository, not releases.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Afaik, compiled scripts (BS, BCS) require Unix-style (LF) line breaks to work correctly.
    @argent77 That's not good news, can you provide and example?
    Not directly. Someone encountered this issue because of a bug in NI some time ago which added Windows-style line breaks under certain circumstances. You can read more about it in the NI thread starting here.

You can test it yourself. Convert line endings of "scripts/thief3.bs" to Windows-style and assign it to your thief. It should instruct the thief to search for traps continuously. The modified version doesn't work.
    edited September 2016
    What exactly you want to report? Btw, i thought we talk about 2da files. See post above my first.
    @Avenger_teambg Well, the fact that IE EE Engine should support all line endings so it should no matter what line endings are used in every IE file type. If it is not possibile, you can just reply me and I won't add unrealistic request.
    I would rather just keep the current status quo with all files. This worked for 15 years. We use the same tools (Weidu, dltcep, and once in a while NI) as the community, so there shouldn't be any problem.
    @Avenger_teambg You probably right, the possibility that someone might convert line endings is unlikely.
    Line breaks should be a non-issue for BWS. There are only very few mods that provide precompiled script files. Besides, if these mods are hosted on Github or similar platforms their authors are responsible to add the appropriate lines to .gitattributes to preserve line breaks. It's as simple as "*.bcs text eol=lf".
    mf2112