Skip to content

Ranged Weapons Explained

Hello, I am a long time fan of the Icewind Dale series and wanted to share some findings I did on the ranged weapons to clear up any issues or confusion with them and how they are used in the game. Throwing axes saying they are missile weapons, bonus damage from dexterity, do i need more strength for this or that. Its all just a little confusing until you see it in game with the numbers. I've read the guide many many times, and still never fully understood until I went in-game for a bit and focused on them. So if your already know some of this it may be better to skip this or if I made any mistakes please correct me.

Starting with strength lets touch on Throwing Axes and Throwing Daggers. These are considered "hurled" though they are classed as missile weapons in the game. They get bonuses for only "damage" when high Str is used. Dex and axe/dagger proficiency though still plays a part determining the THAC0 bonus. If you are wondering which attribute to use these with then I've found they do seem to hit often even with low dexterity and no proficiency. So it might be a good idea to equip these guys on your DPS or tank just as an added ranged option. Something I would have never done before but will likely start doing now.

Next lets talk about the "Launchers" being Slings, Crossbows, and Bows. These are basically just devices that are only used in conjunction with Dex and proficiency to determine the THACO bonus or negative. They do nothing besides launch the damage dealers "missiles" and only give a bonus to damage when stated on the weapon. So a Heavy Crossbow will say +2 damage and a Light Crossbow will not. The only bonus to damage will be from the weapon itself and not from Str/Dex.

Last but not least comes the missiles. Bolts, Arrow, and Darts. These are going to be doing the majority of the damage to the enemy, or all the damage if you are just using a normal shortbow or light crossbow. They receive no bonuses damage from either Str or Dex. Though in the case of the Dart, proficiency does play a part in the THAC0 bonus. The only bonuses to damage and THAC0 will be shown on the missile itself.

Pretty simple and straight forward, but with all the numbers and adding strength and dexterity to the mix can make it a little confusing. I hope this clarified some things and can help you in your journey into the Frozen North.
mf2112inethHudzyacolyteSanctifer