Skip to content

abbys wilting wonder

just swopped rfom 4 tiers of blackpits 2 to iwd on hof mode.

for bit messing about with my lvl 39 party.

havent played for 18months+ and got a shock when i wiped out half my party on my first serious fight.

went to the undead isle soon as i could (wind taxi from kuldahar)

chain contingency and abi wilting wonder, didnt go to plan.

gather this spell works differnt in iwd? i know mordenkained swrd is differnt....

the aoe spells doesnt affect the party in bg2/pits

hit all but caster in iwd then ? what a nerf! :disappointed:

Comments

• acolyteacolyte Member Posts: 36
    Abby hits everything living so that should include the caster. Because in BG2 it's party friendly, you probably don't take as much consideration of the area of effect. It's actually 35, which is higher than fireball. So positioning is really important.

I usually just use creeping doom hasted to wipe out the wailing virgins and mop up everything else with the actual party.

Wow... level 39 lol. Must be really powerful. What party did you choose?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Just cast protection from magic energy and then it's business as usual ...

Btw, HoF is perfectly doable starting at level 1 even solo so a level 39 party is surely overkill.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited September 2016
    dont have druid in this party so no creeping doom(think thats dru?)

ofcourse its overkill and i luv it! splattastic.com

edited September 2016
    actually am finding at high lvl with hof on the undead isle is still a challenge, mobs come in waves and combine heavy hitters and aoe casters. some of the aoe rolls get failed and and ,ultiple perty mebers can get hit by 40-60 damage. some the named in there have extra nasty effects....wail of the banshee etc
    If you pick the wrong entrance they come at you from 3 directions at once....had 13 mobs on me one time, which got rough!
    might have to use some dirty tricks of my own!

gonna try chain contingency+3x bolt of glory and variations.
    What is your party composition? Usually an improve hasted fighter/cleric with three white dove alone can be your main offense while quick summons can be your distraction. Stoneskins and ironskins will allow you to easily tank all the melee. Amaunator's legacy is also pretty nice for bonus damage and sunray. It's only those stupid wailing virgins that are a bit of a nuisance sometimes.

Horrid wilting is pretty good also if you can time stop and manually target and estimate the aoe. But doesn't its spell description says it only works on the living? I tend to rely on druidic summons and buffed clerics which made it easy so I'm not sure how magical nukes can be best used in this area. Let us know how the nuking went :)

Wait... do your spells scale past level 30 also? Your abby wilting must be absolutely insane.
    edited September 2016
    dorf defender
    swashbuckler(exported hexatt) but shes kinda bugged in iwd
    fmc, but she is only 20.20.20 atmo,,,,,shes the only char getting any exp really.
    fmt
    sorc
    archer

tbh am bad at judging distances, and its gets cramped fighting underground on the isle...havent used wilting in there. as you say dont think it works anyway.
    I suppose i could use a puller....drag the mobs from underground onto the top area and fight in the open.
    am doing repeated clearing, cos atmo its fun.
    my main cheat tactic.......i keepered in 50 simulcrum scrolls* for hexatt. so in her quick slots she has:

1, simul
    2, tensors transformation
    3, black blade of destruction.

the copy being uses scrolls 2 and 3, so the original dont get burned up. from a selection of magical sources i managed to get her str to 25 and duall weilding katanas. (+cast improved haste) blender.com

*vhailors helm is another way to do this....is added to merchant on a mod
    Post edited by ameliaboggins on
    The archer should be quite good at killing wailing virgins. If memory serves, they don't resist piercing damage, but resists crushing (possibly also slashing?).

Your frontline is very durable and swashbuckler has good ac so just straight up melee will be good enough.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Protection from Magic Energy
    Deathward
    3 White Doves (for sale in temple in Lonelywood)
    Buff your best Mace user to the moon
    Go to town.

Then again, Turn Undead will work when used by a cleric of level 30+