Skip to content

Custom character sounds in BG2EE through DLTCEP

Hello,
I was trying to transfer my BG1/SOD characters to BG2EE, and I wanted them to be exactly the same. I exported / imported char file, adjusted and added my custom portraits, after bit of a struggle I also managed to make my two protagonists sound like the did during Iron crisis and Dragonspear crusade, but there is one small thing left that I am not able to figure out.
When I select my custom character, I hear the selecting sound, but I cannot see the "speech" in dialog window (and I have the option checked in menu, also other "normal" NPC´s show their dialogs when selected).
I got that DLTCEP utility since according to many users around here its a magical and powerful tool, but so far I was not able to make any difference with it. I can open dialog.tlk file with it, and display all banters and descriptions, but I dont know how do I actually add something new there (well, new...I am just trying to use sound sets originally implemented in BGEE. I really dont understand why they are not included in the sequel also).
Any thoughts/ideas/advices?
Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Don't use DLTCEP to add new strings. It is possible, but you are better off learning WeiDU.
    If you insist on using DLTCEP for this, please specify the exact scenario. It is entirely different to add a new item desc, a new biography or part of dialogue (Just to name a few possibilities).
  • HaploDaPatrynHaploDaPatryn Member Posts: 12
    I dont really insist on using DLTCEP, I just didnt know there´s an alternative:) will try it out, thanks!
    Meanwhile, I have another question:) I wanted to replace Imoens gloomy BG2 portrait with much happier Alyson Hannigan with a cape, but I am not able to figure out how to do it. I have the correct size of all three images (210x300 for large, 168x240 for medium and 54x80 for small), I have the correct naming (NIMOENL, NIMOENM, NIMOENS), bmp format, and I put all images to C:\Documents and Settings\-user_profile-\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\override folder. But I am not able to look up these "new" portraits via EEkeeper, and I can´t customize NPC portraits ingame.
    Do you know where have I gone wrong, or what am I missing?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    Put them into the "portraits" folder instead.
    edited September 2016
    argent77 said:

Put them into the "portraits" folder instead.

Yes, they are in Portrats folder as well (and have been the whole time), but still no luck.

EDIT: I am a liar. The portrait was not displayed in EE keeper, but ingame it did change, right now when I run it. Strange, I wonder what I did differently:) but thanks anyways! I am going to tackle WeiDU, it looks very user friendly, kinda like Powershell
    Post edited by HaploDaPatryn on
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    Strange. EE Keeper should find files in the Documents override folder. Are you using a recent release of EE Keeper (e.g. v1.0.3.5)?

Or do you have a spelling error in the "override" folder name? The game uses the "portraits" folder as one of its many override folders, so you might actually see the portraits from there instead.
    Well...are you sure that it is actually *easier* to do what I need in WeiDU than in DLTCEP? I need just to associate a text to a particular wav file that plays a certain character response...thats all the "modding" I need to do:) and according to the manual it would take a long long time before I understand how to actually do anything with WeiDU
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    You don't really need to learn much WeiDU to make a soundset mod. Just download the Mod Shell from here:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/38319/mods-awesome-soundsets-mods-master-thread-custom-soundsets-for-bgee-bg2ee-and-iwdee/p1

Follow the instructions and it's pretty much a "fill in the blanks" mod.
    Thanks a lot guys!