Skip to content

SCS and ascension winnable without a mage?

I don't have a mage, but I do have something very similar: sorcerer. Great flexibility, but the limited spell selection will probably mean it's going to be a bit tough to level it all the way up, and it might still have weak spots in the end.

This sorcerer will have the support of a bard, jaheira, and that monk kit who can detect illusions (basically the only thing that can easily beat the spell immunity/invisibility combination.)

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Just have to be careful with your spell selection. Probably do some research on sorcerer spell selection in SCS games and choose accordingly.

You also have a bard who can fill in as well - he will be particularly good at casting Dispel Magic and Remove Magic given his faster level progression.

Overall it seems a pretty well rounded party though I'd be wanting that Bard to be Haer'Dalis to provide some more damage output, a vanilla bard would be the weak link compared to a kit.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    blades are about the most damaging thing in the game short of a kensai. and kensai has no magic or unhittable AC. Class is OP as fuck.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited September 2016
    A sorcerer is the same with the mage, and can be even more powerful than a mage, especially a regular unkitted mage holds no candle to a sorcerer. Soloers usually pick sorcerers as they can be really overpowered easily. Spell selection is what makes or breaks sorcs.

A sorcerer and a bard can be enough for arcane casting. If sorcerer picks the right spells that is, and definitely pack wands of spell striking and rods of ressurections, and you should be okay. If you want things easier I would recommend another pure fighter like Korgan, or Big S. They hit like trucks and can take a beating (especially Korgan is the most resilient with his berserk and dwarven saves!) plus with grandmastery in axe of unyielding and ravager they are amazing. Keldorn can be amazing too, but only with Carsomyr and Dorn can be powerful with the right choices. Minsc/Valygar/Mazzy are good, but are definitely second rate when compared to those pros.

But to me what made Ascension battle a breeze was Jan. That little guy is the most dangerous npc bar none IMHO. I used him right at the start and he singlehandedly killed 2 of the five plus wounded another before they could so much even lift a finger. (Time traps, giant str belt+black blade of disaster+kundane+improved haste+mislead for backstabbing madness=he did obscene amounts of damage right at the start!) Hexxat can do the same with scrolls and uai, I guess, but with Jan it is easier as he can actually cast spells from memory.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    With a sorcerer you can solo everything at every difficulty level, you just have to practice.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    I think Edwin is a pretty good middle ground. Edwin does get more spells than any sorcerer, but they mightn't always be what I need.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    lunar said:

Jan. That little guy is the most dangerous npc

Agreed. Jan in action is like: