Skip to content

Tarnesh! My friend Tarnesh!

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
I've always liked Tarnesh! You know Tarnesh, right? He's the guy who meets you on the steps of the Friendly Arm to hit you with 3 Magic Missiles. Well, I recruited Tarnesh back from the dead with Ctrl + Space and used my new Charm Person on him. The spell turns people to GOODBUTBLUE. Tarnesh had just put on his Mirror Image, being all red and set against me, when the Charm hit. Blue he became, but I was concerned that he, being a wizard, might get his scripts in a bunch from the allegiance change and not come to my aid if a fight were to break out. I thought he might just stand around, not seeing me for his new best friend.

I had no reason to worry! The Charm Person changes allegiance, then applies a one-second Feeblemind. Tarnesh must have gone on some deep inner journey in that second and found his true self, because when I spawned a baddie a little later, he up and cast his Horror at it, and would have followed up with the rest of his programme, but I was satisfied and clicked "Quit."

Comments

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Party idea - all the assassin/bounty hunters from BG1. There's at least six, right?
    IWD, here I come.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    No. Unfortunately it can't be. Nor does it expire on its own. This is the rule for all AI changes, AI doesn't revert to its former setting. Creatures can be charmed away to another allegiance, meaning just charmed with the old effect by the computer. But although the AI shift is permanent, you can put in another AI shift, delayed, in the spell, to establish a new status quo in the end. You can see that as a reflection of the fact that things can never be the same between you and someone you charmed - memories can't be dispelled.

What my spell has, or rather will have soon, is two more shifts at the end of the duration: the first one happens 100% of the time and changes the creature to NEUTRAL. The second shift, to ENEMY, follows immediately but the basic 100% chance is adjusted for the caster's Charisma as it was at the time of the casting (24 hours ago). The lowest chance of making the creature an enemy is 5%, the highest is 95% (for the epic Charisma of 1). A charismatic wizard will often be able to get away with a charm and part on reasonably good terms. Among other things, this will make Friends more relevant.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    As my Enchanter was not OP enough.

Liked it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    It's not any more powerful than the standard Charm Person, which with one shot 1) takes out one enemy completely, 2) gives you a puppet you can do whatever you want wish, so long as you don't attack it until every other enemy is dead. 5 rounds? The fight will be over in 5 rounds. The green Charm is basically a save or die + a servant out of thin air. The blue Charm only encourages the creature to help you as it may, which is going to be dumb enough half of the time. It may get in the way of a lightning bolt and you will lose the charm, or it may attack some stray summoned dog instead of the target you would prefer. Well, that's independence for you. I happen to like accidents and having to navigate personalities instead of a straight, boring control, which is what's really overpowered in this game. But then, any spell that changes the EA value for any length of time, even 1 round, may be considered too powerful.

There is no dispelling it, but you, and they, can charm the creature back to a friendly allegiance.