Skip to content

I kind of hoped BGEE would have concluded the cut and half completed quests in athkatla

unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
Many happenings in athkatla seemed odd and in need of elaboration. I've often wondered why there is a demilich in a random house, another lich in the corthala home, another lich under the sewers, another lich at the bridge, a dimension door leading to the twisted tune, the guarded compound, an army invasion force of mind flayers, a Minotaur fighting mushrooms in the sewers, and how any of these things are where they are to begin with.

Comments

• IglosnofIglosnof Member Posts: 119
    For me not knowing is part of the atmosphere of the game. It's the same in really life
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    It's not good to let opportunities for world building go to waste. A tavern rumor, a written note or some NPC without a name should say something enlightening about all this stuff.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    For the demilich and the related lichs the explanation is given, I put it under spoiler as we are in a no spoiler section
    Many years before some people had to fight against the demilich, they won but they was not able to destroy him, he was too powerful. all that they managed to do is to close him in that tomb, but they had to hide parts of his body because with them he could become free an dangerous again. To be sure to succeed two of them accepted to be transformed in lichs and to be the guardians of the parts of the body of the demilich. The guardians of the parts of kangaxx's body are not his allies, they are his enemies.

about the guarded compound and the twisted rune
    I found in many internet discussions the opinion that are related with the slaver's quest, they are high level slavers. But I am not sure that in the game there are clues to confirm that interpretation, at least I was never able to find them. I think that the twisted rune is also a sort of Easter egg, you have to try to open that door, and you have no reason to do it, disarming the trap, and then you find... nothing. unles you have with yourself a very valuable gem that people usually sell to buy useful equipment.
    I played BG2 without having an internet connection for years, and was never able to pass that door.

About the minotaur I think that is a leftover, when the original game was created the developers decided for some reason to cut some planned quests, like the kidnapping of Boo, and this is why Minsk is one of the few NPC's with no personal quest. The minotaur is related to one of the other quests that was not included.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited September 2016
    And the mysterious empty potion bottles that Sion&Ketta and their friends have in Temple district, the fight for Celestial Fury. Why do they and only they have those bottles? They have no purpose. I suspect a connection between them and Twisted Rune was planned, they were supposed to be the local masters of the Slavers in Athkatla region and the Rune is their bigger-badder overseeing boss in the entire continent. One even drops a rogue stone there, IIRC, that can be immadiately used to reach the Rune.

Kinda like following a trail, Copper coronet slavers to their main headquarters, then to Temple District for their bosses and then finally the Rune in all its glory. Maybe there were even more steps planned, the jump in power between the Slaver ship and Temple D. guys is kinda steep.

The first game did it with mines-tranzig-camp-cloakwood-baldurs gate route, killing one set of baddies showed the way to bigger, badder baddies.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    IIRC

Roenal's notes says something about the slavers in the Guarded Compound.

For the Twisted Rune, it seens to be related with the skinner murderers. That's why Rejiek had two very strong Rune Assassins with him.
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253

I've often wondered why there is a demilich in a random house, another lich in the corthala home, another lich under the sewers, another lich at the bridge, a dimension door leading to the twisted tune, the guarded compound, an army invasion force of mind flayers, a Minotaur fighting mushrooms in the sewers, and how any of these things are where they are to begin with.

Cant recall a lich in the corthala home, where exactly is the lich?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Hmm yeah, some mod adds a crazy gnome illusionist to upstairs in Valygar's bedroom, but I heard of no lich.
    I use that mod, very satisfying battle, a little cheesy as he has 2 familiars, and actually useful ones, but nothing like the shattered one or other battles of that mod.
    With that mod, Tactics, is also introduced a lich in the area, but not in Corthala home, is in an other building.
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    ohh that I remind, the tactics mod! That gnome fighter/mage with 2 familiars in corthala home and the lich in the docks (next door to shadow thief guild). That lich used to drop balduran cloak