Skip to content

Weapon proficiency

Are you sure it is a good idea to use the BG2 proficiency system? Considering the available weapons in the first game, it would lead to many problems.

First of all, many proficiencies would be redundant. Clubs for example - there is not a single magic club to be found in BG1. Two magic spears are in the game, one is cursed, the other one crap. And as long as you don't use tons of cheese to kill Drizzt and steal his scimitars, there is only one magic scimitar in the game (somewhere on the remote edge of a completely optional dungeon), which means you are out of luck if you want to play someone dual wielding scimitars. And I don't need to remind you that there are no katanas in BG1, either.

Another small problem is the inconsistent usefulness of some weapon categories - long bows would be a suitable proficiency in BG1, but not very useful in BG2 (you probably need more enchanted arrows than there are in the game to fight against all enemies), while some short bows come with their own implemented magic arrow, for example Tansheron's Bow and the Bow of Gesen.
This is only a small problem however, and rather a problem of BG2 than of BG1.

Assigning weapon proficiencies to NPCs would be difficult as well. Looking at the weapons they start with, Khalid uses long swords, Ajantis bastard swords and Minsc two handed swords. What if the player character chooses one of these categories? There aren't enough good weapons for everyone.
Let's take two handed swords for example: there are only two +1 specimen, one of them in the middle of nowhere (and unlikely to be found by players who don't scan each area in the game completely), the other one in Durlag's Tower (and therefore quite unattainable by low level characters).
So when you stumble across Spiderbane +2, one character can wield it while the other one continues to shatter one non-magical two hander after another.

The proficiency system of BG2 wasn't designed to suit the scarcity of BG1's weapon supply, but the abundance of BG2. Just look at how many exceptional long swords are easily attainable early in BG2. Blade of Roses, Adjatha the Drinker, Daystar, Namarra, Sword of Balduran, Flametongue, Ras... those are more than the exceptional long swords, bastard swords and scimitars of BG1 combined!
On top of that, BG1 does not only have fewer weapons, the characters are also lower in level, which means they have less proficiency points, making things even worse in comparison to BG2.

Considering the fact that BG1 is the introduction (ideally, new players play BG1 first), it makes sense to help new players finding "their" weapon by using the old proficiency system.
For us veterans, this isn't a problem of course - usually we even distribute our proficiency points according to what we know we find later. But let's think about those who don't know the game in and out...
Example: I just recently introduced my girlfriend into the game. She was able to make an acceptable weapon choice on her own in vanilla BG1 - going wrong is practically impossible. Letting her choose the proficiencies in BGtutu or BGT would have probably led to frustration.

Well, of course it is possible to just add craploads of different weapons throughout the game, but doing so and staying true to the original Baldurs Gate is well-nigh impossible.

Comments

• BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    I agree -- but they're adding weapons and items in BG:EE, which is the easiest solution to this problem.

Also, each NPC would have a default proficiency. In the original games, for example, Minsc has "Large Swords", "Spiked Weapons", and "Axes." He starts equipped with a 2H sword. That pretty easily translates into BG2 weapon proficiencies.

I think most players will build on what a charcter already has, in terms of stats and equipment, over selecting the same weapon for multiple NPCs.
  • I know wat you mean, I started BG1 with Large swords the first time. You get a Bastard sword+1 pretty early, folowed by a Long sword +2. In blunt weapons you get a warhammer +2 early. Spiked are also easy to find.
    But if you pick Maces for exeption, you have to search hard to find the first magical weapon.

But on the other side, there are plenty of non-magical weapons for everyone, so stick to them till you find a suiteble magic item.
    There arent many magical missle weapons early in game and it didn't keep me from using them.

Btw. Katanas and the like will be added.
  • rattenfleischrattenfleisch Member Posts: 6
    Brude said:

I agree -- but they're adding weapons and items in BG:EE, which is the easiest solution to this problem.

The easiest? Maybe, but probably not the best. It will be hard to keep the balance. I'm afraid that they will be swamping us with magic items to be sure there is something for everyone.

I think using the BG1 proficiencies would be the best solution as the items don't have to be touched that way and the players have time to decide until BG2 (for the very same reason, playing BG1 without kits and deciding in BG2 makes so much sense as well).
    Brude said:

Also, each NPC would have a default proficiency. In the original games, for example, Minsc has "Large Swords", "Spiked Weapons", and "Axes." He starts equipped with a 2H sword. That pretty easily translates into BG2 weapon proficiencies.

Yes, it does. But it can still be problematic compared to BG1.
    In BG1, the Long Sword +2 can be effecitvely used by Ajantis, Khalid, Minsc and Shar-Teel.
    Let's assume you only have Ajantis and Minsc in your party - Minsc uses two handed swords, Ajantis uses bastard swords.
    A weapon that can be used by almost every warrior in BG1 can only be used by some warriors in BG:EE.
    Brude said:

I think most players will build on what a charcter already has, in terms of stats and equipment, over selecting the same weapon for multiple NPCs.

Players distribute up to 4 proficiency points before they even enter the game. Most players don't know what proficiencies the NPCs have before they meet them (unless they've played the game before or looked it up in a guide) - and then it's already too late.

But on the other side, there are plenty of non-magical weapons for everyone, so stick to them till you find a suiteble magic item.

Well, there aren't even enough non-magical scimitars around. And with the iron crisis and the breaking weapons, not having a magical weapon is extremely annoying.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited November 2012
    BG1 Proficiency System > BG2 Proficiency System

BG2 is *so* nitty gritty with weapon types - each one needs its own proficiency! Ugh. Makes a lot of the weps you find in the game worthless and vendor bait. Like if you don't build for Scimitars, better sell that +3 one you get off Drizzt... whereas in BG1, you build off Large Sword and you're golden.

Maybe I'm a cheese boy. Still, it made the game better imo. I know, I know, its more like AD&D this way so I should love it (cuz I am a traditionalist) but maybe I'm just used to how I've done proficiencies over the last 10 years.

Plus styles are just lame. I'm sorry. More things you don't have the points to spend on.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    @rattenfleisch I'm not disagreeing with you. I share your fears, but my post was mostly about what I think Beamdog will do, rather than what I think will make for a better game.

@HahaCharade Could not agree more. I love BG1's system because of its flexibility. BG2 forces you to plan character builds and party comps around gear, which is boring.

The only issue with BG1's system is that, in the long term, it doesn't have enough options. Clerics, and a few other classes, could max out all available profs by the time BG2 rolls around.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @rattenfleisch i 100% agree with that, for example, i will make a level 7 fighter that dual classes into a mage in bg1, i will skill her with bows because in bg1 there are tons of good ones, and that is the best missile weapon to have proficiency in, then when i import to bg2 i give her all in dagger so she can use boomerang dagger +2 and fire tooth, now im going to have to give her all dagger in bgee, and use crappy non magical daggers throughout all of bg1 which is going to be a pain in the ass
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    How about an intermediate proficiency between the two games?

Two Handed Weapons - Two handed swords and Quarterstaffs
    Poles - Spears and Halberds
    Spiked Weapons - Flail and Morningstar
    Simple Weapons - Clubs, Hammers
    Hafted Weapons - Mace, Axe
    Large Swords - Longswords and Bastard Swords
    Small Swords - Shortswords and Daggers
    Exotic Swords - Katanas, Scimitars, Waki sashi, Ninja to
    Light ranged weapons - Darts, Slings, Shortbow
    Large ranged weapons - Longbow, Crossbow
  • @Mungri Bastard and longswords should be the same proficiency for sure. BG1 had good Long swords to start with but in Tales you almost need to use Bastard swords
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    I never understood why long and sbort bows have to be separated... They use the exact same method to shoot the projectiles for crying out loud! Apart from the ranged weapon categories and the two handed weapons I really like @Mungri 's categories. (Two handed swords and a staves are two very different things after all. The staff is a lot more related to spears and halberds)
    Hmmm, or

Heavy 2 handed weapons - Two handed sword, Halberds
    Light 2 handed weapons - spear, quarterstaff.

2 weapons per category was the idea.

Maybe longbows and shortbows in the same category, crossbows and slings in another, and darts moved into simple weapon proficiency.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I actually prefer BG1 for its simplicity - not to many artificial skills and not too many magical items (so weapons +1 actually mean something).I think that BG1 should mostly stick to its old rules, to maintain its original simplicity and feeling.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited November 2012
    Now that this discussion is up I think im going to give all my NPC's who use Long swords or bastard swords the same amount of stats in both proficiencies. If they can use the items.

And I think spears, staves and halberds need one category, 2-handed swords should be seperate.

Bg2 tweaks makes the system somewhat more logical. quoted from the readme:
    "The first option, Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies, attempts to rebalance the groupings of weapons proficiencies. There are three main changes:
    • Wakizashis move from Wakizashi/Scimitar/Ninja-to to Katana proficiency
    • Ninja-tos move from Wakizashi/Scimitar/Ninja-to to Short Sword proficiency
    • Morningstars move from Flail/Morningstar to Mace proficiency

Wakizashis are very similar to katanas in usage, and ninja-tos are straight, short blades. Morningstars, while there are several variations in definition, are essentially spiked maces in the game, and have been moved out of the flail category and grouped with maces. The proficiencies themselves get renamed to reflect these changes. Weapon descriptions also get updated (English only). "

This should be implemented.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    This has zero chances of being implemented.

BG2 proficiencies are already in the game and all item descriptions and NPC proficiencies have already been changed to fit this system.
  • @Tanthalas Thanks for the info. I am wondering what all the new NPC proficiencies will be.
    And I'm sure there will be an EE tweak pack.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @artifial_sunlight

For the most part weapon proficiencies were adapted to respect the weapon proficiencies that the characters already had in vBG1 and the weapons that they came equipped with on recruitment (for example Minsc has points in Two-handed sword).

Though some NPCs might have proficiencies that don't reflect what they had in vBG1 because we also wanted to spread out the proficiency types used so that 50% of the NPCs weren't using Long Swords.
    I'd have thought it would be impossible to change the whole profiency system, but maybe one day someone reading this thread could somehow make a mod.
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't see the solution to this. Will BGEE have new (magical) weapons added?
    Otherwise, someone should at the very least make a thread in the newbie-section warning about spending points in reduntant proficiencies that have next to no correlating weapons ingame.