Skip to content

Monk class in BG:EE

Just curious what people think abut the monk class in general in BG:EE never tried one with bgtutu. So how do you think this class will be able to handle? Additionally, what would be some good/neutral party lineups you can think of, preferably not including the canon party (I have another playthrough planned for them :) )?

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    They'll be ok, you just need to babysit them a bit more.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Monk is fine in BG1; not overpowered, but it can survive. As for the class make-up, it's a little harder because you aren't great at anything early. So buffs help and are more important than usual. You'll also want tank help.

I'd go (avoiding too much canon):
    You
    Kivan (archer setup)
    Ajantis (tank)
    Branwen or Viconia
    Edwin
    Imoen until you can trade for non canon thief

Use lots of buffs from Ed and your cleric to keep you alive. Monks are good mage killers, even here. Deflecting arrows is always helpful, too.

Hope this helps.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I think it'll be fine. Won't be my first character, but I'll try it out eventually.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    There are also mods to make early monk life a little easier, like this one:
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/16160-vedrans-lost-items/

"Component 'Monk +3 AC and +1 THAC0 Bonus'
    3) Monks are missing the WIS bonus to AC (Thanks Bioware!) and are certifiable pussies. Even in Baldur's Gate II monks are generally considered weak until around level 12. In Baldur's Gate they are pathetic, bruised, bleeding, simpering fools. At the beginning of Baldur''s Gate monks that have greater than 15 WIS will receive a permanent +3 AC and +1 [thac0] - it makes them playable but by no means overpowered. At level 5 my monk had about the same kill/xp record as Imoen just using a short bow. If carried over to Baldur's Gate 2 I doubt that the bonus would ever overpower them, since by the time AC gets really high it really isn't an issue anymore, and it is in the AD&D rules after all. Well, the AC bonus at least - the THAC0 bonus is to make up for the readily available +1 weapons in Baldur's Gate."
  • cory5694cory5694 Member Posts: 23
    @reedmilfam That is kind of the setup i was looking at thanks :).
    I'm just concerned that they will die extremely fast at lower levels before the AC bonuses start to pile up. They also are supposed to use unarmed moves so that would put them in danger a lot more often then lets say a mage who can sit back before they begin to become powerful.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I dunno. They've been saying that they will rebalance certain kits for BG:EE, but the details of this are unclear. (And whether or not they are changing specifically Monks at all. Methinks they are more referring to Totemic Druid, for example.)
    @Cory5694 - they're about equal to a rogue, AC wise early on. You'll have to be a little more careful - as if you were a Bard - at early levels, but LVL 2 is a nice boost. 3rd and up, you start becoming viable. It was hard, but I didn't find it overly so.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Check out my thread here about Monk rebalancing. I'm not suggesting Monks are not balanced, but the thread is mostly about making them more like their 2nd Edition counterparts.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4238/monk-rebalancing-per-handbook-bugs-solutions

Monks in BG2 can be powerful, but in BG1 they won't be as good as other classes. I like them anyway :)
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    I've never liked monks due to the fact that you don't use any of the nice armor or weapons, just sounds really dull never switching in new gear.
    edited November 2012
    @ginger_hammer

A Monk does not accept rewards. It's all about the mindset of the player. I enjoy the concept of a Monk so even if that means playing a gimped class, I'm going to do it.

Roleplaying > loot - to some people.
    I've also found it somewhat satisfying from an RP perspective that as a monk in the late game you can go up largely naked against someone clad in plate and wielding a large sword, and stand an even chance. It's like bringing a knife to a gunfight and winning due to skill.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Somewhere on Trent Oster's tweeter more kit and class-specific items are added. So possibly something really usefull for monks has been added, too.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    When I played a monk in BGT, I found myself using the stealth ability much more often than I did in BG2. You can play the monk a lot like a rogue early if you are patient enough to wait for the stealth to kick in (obviously no backstab but being able to use the stun attack from hiding is nice to disable someone early and attacking hobgoblin elite and the elite bandits who fire the ice arrows in melee can be a lifesaver).
    @AHF similar here. I also would send stealth monk with stealth thief ahead to look for traps. That way, a failed check with a monster doesn't leave the theif unsupported while the cavalry comes in. Ulcaster ruins were dangerous for Imoen because of Kobold Commandos
    image from CommissarKiyaf on Deviant Art.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited November 2012
    I played a Monk on my first playthrough. He sucked really bad.
    He had 18 Str, 18 Dex, 18 Con (even if he didn't benefit from it) and 13-16 Wis. Int and Cha around 10, not lower.

In the beginning of the game, I used slings to even survive. I gave him all the tomes for 19 Str etc. I gave him the best items. He still struggled a lot. I think in the final battle he barely contributed. Mostly running around to lure Sarevok and friends away from the party as they bombarded them with arrows and spells.

Not recommended at all in the first game, UNLESS they include Katanas and maybe monk-only items. Hell, why not robes or clothes or bandanas or straps or something.
    Why katanas? 1d10 damage, great weapon speed, can be used with one hand unlike two-handed swords and they fit to a monk. Plus, with Single-Weapon Style, you get -2 AC and +1 Critical chance.

Another fix, which is less likely to happen, is to use Wisdom like Dexterity for AC purposes for Monks.
    Did they say that they would get an AC boost? Any AC boost is great, no matter how they do it.

Also, the useless Find Traps skill should be replaced with Detect Illusion. Aren't Monks supposed to be mage killers?
    If they can find a trap but not disarm it, it's like giving a class Pick Pocket but they can only tell if the person has anything of value without being able to steal it. There's no point.
    If a Thief can disarm a trap, then obviously he can detect it, which makes it a useless skill for Monks.
    And isn't Detect Illusion the least picked skill in the game? That would make them more special.
    Post edited by Archaos on
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    HaHAR there, @reedmilfam ! Quite the "Kobold Commando," eh chum?
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Archaos said:

Also, the useless Find Traps skill should be replaced with Detect Illusion

Hey, if your monk doesn't want Find Traps, my Stalker would gladly take it.

(I agree with you about Detect Illusion, though. That would have been cool.)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Shield Amulet is Monk and Kensai's best BG1 friend :)
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    He'll be fine, but no matter how you modify his hair, etc. he'll still manage to look like Tony Shalhoub.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I played with a monk once in tutu, it was kinda hard, though - 2nd edition monks aren't good at low levels...
  • SirCumferenceSirCumference Member Posts: 35
    Monks really get the shaft in this game, they are weak early, mid, late. Not being able to be effected by improved haste is a huge disadvantage, and then extremely late game their are mobs that are immune to +3 weapons (monks fists only go up to +3).

The monk is playable and can be pretty strong but will never, ever be as good as so many other combinations.
    edited November 2012

Monks really get the shaft in this game, they are weak early, mid, late. Not being able to be effected by improved haste is a huge disadvantage, and then extremely late game their are mobs that are immune to +3 weapons (monks fists only go up to +3).

The monk is playable and can be pretty strong but will never, ever be as good as so many other combinations.

But is that a class deficiency, or unbalanced game design? The developers do throw massive quantities of very high end weapons and armors to you, so you are comparing them to overpowered characters.

I thought that with ToB Monks could actually reach +4 for their fists at level 20.
    I never had a magical weapons problem with my monk in SOA/TOB. If monks have a challenge, it is THACO - they get lots of attacks, but less chance of connecting. Normally not an issue, but there were a few fights that required help for me.

I really liked playing my monk, although my next play (I only did one playthrough) will be a different class.
    Monks do get +4 fists (at level 25), but in general their fist enchantment level is much too slow to keep up with the rate that enchantment levels on weapons tend to increase. In vanilla a monk needs to reach level 9 to get +1 fists, which is towards the end of BG1 where everyone else is likely to have +2 or even +3 weapons.
    However, since their fists are itemized it's easy to manually edit them and give the monks a bit of a break in this regard.
    edited November 2012
    My only issue with monks is that I think they need two things:

1) from PNP, Monks with a weapon get to choose attacks based on weapon - they can, for each, use hands or equipped weapon, or any combo therein. Since monk weapons get the speed bonus of monks (attacks per round) this would be a big improvement. Shurikens should fly from a monk's hands at an alarming rate, for instance

2) Monk Weapons need some 'love'. The quarterstaff is the quintessential monk weapon, and is a bigger part of martial arts training than the kama. Martial arts grew out of the need for peasant class to defent itself (couldn't afford and/or own weapons of the upper class) and they made weapons out of common items.

Additionally: the spear is a 'monk' weapon. A club should be, too. Katana, not so much. Expensive, rare weapons were not what they tended to use. People want katana monks, but this is a huge twist from the concept, as it were.

I would love to see sub-classes or something to allow for different focus by monks. So there could be a staff master or whatnot.

*edit fixes bad English on my part - words in my brain didn't make it into the post*
    @reedmilfam
    The problem with staff Monk is that they don't have animations for Monks using two-handed weapons. They don't have animations for dual-wielding either.

In the defense of the katana Monk though, there is a Monk in the Forgotten Realms that uses a katana (though mostly his fists): Raidon Kane.
    @Tanthalas - I know it's not engine-capable. That's why I'm just talking in the more open forums than 'feature requests'.

The Katana Monk is a fan fiction creation. I'm fine with that - people want what they want. My point was more to do with 'using common items as weapons' being the true legacy and more in keeping with the detached aesthetic/spirutual focus (consistent with PNP descriptions and whatnot).

PNP monk is more interesting than the BG rendering because of the complexities of the class.

There's a lot of stuff that would be fun to see. A hoplite fighter kit (uses spears one-handed with a shield) would be cool (and historically accurate/feasible) is one that comes to mind; my guess is that this is game-engine limited, as a single hand spear technique is different than the 2-hand. Tripping weapons with a knock-down possibility (great way to deal with pesky mages).

It's like anything - people always want more! This isn't a knock on the huge list of things we can do already.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421

Additionally: the spear is a 'monk' weapon. A club should be, too. Katana, not so much. Expensive, rare weapons were not what they tended to use. People want katana monks, but this is a huge twist from the concept, as it were.

Well, a Katana is not a classic Thief or Bard weapon either, but I don't see people complaining. Both the Monk and the Katana have oriental origins, in real life. It seems far more fitting for a Monk to use it than a Bard or Thief.