Skip to content

Question about Steam

I am playing a Steam BG2 game.
And the first thing that I did was choose the option to disable the auto run of Steam when I load the OS.
I noticed that Steam turns on anyway when I start the game, checks for updates and then continues in background.
Choosing to exit from Steam causes also to exit from the game, while if I start the game without internet connection I have the option to run the game offline.
I was not able to find an option in the game or in Steam to start offline as default, or start online, but then switch to offline without also closing the game.
I have no particular reason to don't have a connection with Steam while I am playing, is just that I am not interested in the features that being online offers, and I am very paranoid about my privacy.
To have Steam update my game, or eventually check if I am using a legal copy of the game, is perfectly fine for me. Any further intrusion in my own life, even to monitor how long I play, or what I do in my gaming (Steam achievements) is ABSOLUTELY not wanted.

And this tread is not for discussing my feelings about privacy, on which I am the first to admit that I am paranoid.

Can someone help me to solve my problem, to have the game running offline (an initial check for updates is acceptable), without having to put all the computer offline?

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    As somebody with the service since late 2004 I'd say you are unfortunately out of luck.

Steam was pratically designed around being permanently online. The obscure offline mode is basically archaic legacy support from back when the service first started out. It is pretty much unsupported and many people aren't even aware it exists. Achievements and stats and such always rely on the internets even for quiet singleplayer games.

In its Terms Of Service Steam does mention an internet connection is mandatory. I don't believe there's even a choice here.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    How are you launching the game? I'm not finding steam opening when I launch the game from the game's exe file in its install folder.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    I hate to be that guy, but with your concerns - there's virtually no way you'll be satisfied with the product on steam because steam will *always* open when you attempt to play.

You've got some alternative options however - although they likely require repurchasing the game. GoG also sells the EE games and does not require the use of a client (you can use their client but it's not mandatory) or you could buy the game(s) directly through beamdog - they've got a launcher that will check for updates, but beyond that there are no further intrusions.

You could maybe try getting in touch with beamdog support and see if they'll work something out with you - since they *are* willing to give steam cd-keys for games purchased directly from beamdog - maybe they would be willing to help you out by doing the opposite.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited September 2016
    @elminster I was launching with the link on the desktop, that probably was created by steam installing the game.
    Launching as you tell works perfectly, Thank you very much!
    I was going crazy for a such simple thing (and I did not check the real destination of the link :blush: ).
    Problem solved, link replaced.
    @Gallenger following the hint of elminster the game loads without having steam running, I will check also in task manager in the process tab, but in the bar the steam icon don't shows any more and the game starts immediately, without a check for upgrades.

EDIT checked, baldur.exe running, and the steam process not running in task manager.
    EDIT 2 checked the desktop link, the destination was steam://rungameid/257350
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea the default for steam is that it creates a desktop icon when you install the game. But naturally that icon is going to lead you to launching Steam when trying to play the game.