Skip to content

[Fig] Wasteland 3 ~ campaign is live

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
edited October 2016 in Off-Topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsGh_L4eKro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxYUgRdp0EE

From the creators of Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera comes Wasteland 3! Following the critically acclaimed releases of 2014's Wasteland 2 and 2015's Wasteland 2: Director's Cut, fans have been clamoring for a direct sequel. Now we can bring it to you, with your help!
  • A party-based role-playing game, with a renewed focus on our trademark complex story reactivity and strategic combat.
  • By including vehicles, environmental dangers, and a revamped, more fluid action system, we are evolving on Wasteland 2's deep tactical turn-based combat and unique encounter design.
  • Play by yourself or with a friend in story-driven synchronous or asynchronous multiplayer. Choices open up (or close off) mission opportunities, areas to explore, story arcs, and lots of other content.
  • Your Ranger Base is a core part of the experience. As you help the local people and establish a reputation in Colorado, quests and narrative will force you to make decisions on how to lead.
  • The game will be set in the savage lands of frozen Colorado, where survival is difficult and a happy outcome is never guaranteed. Players will face difficult moral choices and make sacrifices that will change the game world.
  • Wasteland 3 will feature a deep and engaging story utilizing a newly-revamped dialog tree system from the celebrated writers of Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Yay, got backer number 624 and laid my claim for the Early Bird tier. It's not even three hours past the campaign opening and all of the limited 3.000 Early Bird units have been grapped! :-)

Link to Wasteland 3's campaign.

Feel free to discuss away~
Post edited by Kamigoroshi on

Comments

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I got the same email as a Wasteland 2 backer :)

I wish I had the scratch to pick up the early bird collector's edition, those'll go fast.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    special loyalty discount of $5 USD

They better send them out before it goes live, otherwise how I should I apply it for the 25$ tier?
    (20$ is more then enough for a 2-3 year wait )

I do hope they improve the combat system. @BrianFargo, just take a look at Jagged Alliance ! :p
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I've been looking at this for a couple days. Trying to decide if I want to invest in the game or just pledge for the finished product.

It would be cool if investors also received the pledge rewards. Even just a digital tier would be nice.
    @bleusteel You can invest AND participate in the regular pledge rewards according to Fig's FAQ.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited October 2016
    I guess I should get around to playing Wasteland 2 then. It's only been on my hard drive for ages now.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I was a Wasteland 2 backer and I still have my profile for their boards. How did I *not* get this e-mail message? This is the first I have heard of it.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I got it, and I'm not a backer. So obviously they hate backers!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited October 2016
    IT.IS.HERE!

Everyone can back Wasteland 3 over at Fig.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3#about

Edit: As I am currently in transit the editing of the op has to wait some time. But I nevertheless managed to back this beauty.
    Edit 2: Screw this, the world needs to know about this even when I'm on the move. :p
    Post edited by Kamigoroshi on
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Excellent. I will most likely throw in at the $250 level like I did last time.
    edited October 2016

Excellent. I will most likely throw in at the $250 level like I did last time.

That's generous !
    I got the early bird and applied my backer bonus. Cheapskate 20$ tier for me ^^
    edited October 2016
    The fourth day has arrived, and only $10,550 remain until Wasteland 3 is fully funded. Not bad at all for a staggering $2,75mil initial goal. :)

Seeing the current influx of backers, I imagine the game gets funded either sometime today. Or tomorrow at its latest. The stretch goals will apparently be revealed afterwards.

On a side note unrelated to Wasteland 3, has anyone checked out the other ongoing fig campaigns? Personally I'm quite fond of Make Sail, partly because they manage to recreate a realistic buoyance and wind physics in their engine. Guess I really do have a weakness for games with swimming mechanics. :p
    I hope they hit the top stretch goal, as making a symbol and seeing it spread across the land as I play is definitely the one I'm most interested in of the three they've already shown us (the way the image cuts off at the top it's pretty obvious they have more to reveal if they hit that goal tho, and I bet my favourite goal is yet to be revealed).

I managed to get someone to lend me credit card info tho, since I'm broke as heck right now, and I grabbed the early bird collector's edition with my W2 backer discount and ended up paying a hundred bucks including shipping total. Not bad!
    Yeah, it would be pretty sweet to create ones own insignia. Although I have no idea how players should to it... drawing with a mouse is awkward to say the least. And inserting the emblem via external images a la custom portrait seems rather cheap for the last stretch goal...

Also for those who don't follow the campaign over at fig: here are the revealed stretch goals in detail.

• $2.85M: 37 Pieces of Flair – We unlock further Ranger customization, which could include multiple body types, more heads, and more hairstyles. Plus we’ll show items that your Ranger has equipped (gear like shovels, binoculars, etc) on their models.
    • $3M: Car Companion (Codename: Morningstar) – We add a talking car companion! Morningstar is an AI built to serve President Reagan, but he'll help you both in your travels and during combat, plus he'll give you well-timed advice on how to wipe out all the dirty commies out there. See more on him below!
    • $3.1M: Customizable Ranger Squad Insignia – At the start of the game, you get to customize a Ranger Squad insignia for your team, which will show up on your Ranger Base as well as elsewhere in the game (on flags, for example).

Last but not least:

YAY IT IS FUNDED!!!

• $2.85M: 37 Pieces of Flair – We unlock further Ranger customization, which could include multiple body types, more heads, and more hairstyles. Plus we’ll show items that your Ranger has equipped (gear like shovels, binoculars, etc) on their models.

Yeah, it would be pretty sweet to create ones own insignia. Although I have no idea how players should to it... drawing with a mouse is awkward to say the least. And inserting the emblem via external images a la custom portrait seems rather cheap for the last stretch goal...

I hope they give us the options to do both tbqh
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Backed it. Wasteland 2 was surprisingly good Fallout-tactics/Jagged Alliance-like RPG.
    Good to see that the first 48h backers are now able to get GOG keys for UnderRail and STASIS after the campaign concludes. I already own STASIS there (terrific horror sci-fi) and was interested in purchasing UnderRail as well at some point, but now I won't have to part with my money for that. :)

Other than that there isn't much interesting things within that last update for me. Not gonna have a chance to play multiplayer at all after all. And that sentient car NPC vehicle strikes me as waaay too patriotistic for my liking.
    Just look at this design:

Yup. Not gonna use him if I can't reprogram his commie hating AI to something less political. And give him a Raider paint-over for good measure as well. :p
    edited October 2016
    @Kamigoroshi I definitely, as a filthy commie, would like to be able to reprogram him...but I'm also pretty ok with the joke about Reagan and earlier McCarthyite anti-communism's ridiculousness tbqh, as a filthy commie

And yeah, reverse of you: I own Underrail but have been meaning to get STASIS so this works out nicely for me.

Building the World of Wasteland 3

Hello everyone,

Matt Findley here. We've been keeping you posted on Wasteland 3's pre-production in our updates, but today I have a bigger step to share with you: Wasteland 3 is moving out of pre-production and into full production! Note that Fig has a handy Game Info tab to keep all our supporters informed on our development stage, and as you can see it has now moved over to "Production."

So what does this mean for Wasteland 3? It means our paper designs are wrapping up and getting finalized for implementation. Our prototype work is moving towards production of our game scenes, starting with rough blockouts that give us a sense of the area's spacing and flow, and let us determine the layout before we work on art. In video game projects, moving from pre-production to production is never like flicking a switch - it's a process and we will still be prototyping and even doing paper designs for the next while, but it is a big step for us as our team is ramping up.

Newest Member of the inXile Team

This next part may be familiar to those of you who also backed The Bard's Tale IV and read our most recent update there, but for those of you who only backed Wasteland 3, some news about backer support! As inXile continues to expand, with more games coming and a growing back catalog, we are receiving more and more requests for backer news, customer support, and general information. Thus, it's time - some would say long past time - we upped our communication game. So here we go.

First, for those of you with questions, troubles with your backer rewards, or who need assistance with Wasteland 3 and our other games, we have launched a new Help Center page which will serve as a one-stop support location for all the info you need. It also includes an upgraded ticketing system, so we can better keep track of your direct emails and social media messages.

Second, and more importantly, we are pleased to announce that we have hired a brand new community manager, Paul Marzagalli. Paul has been active in the gaming community and industry many years as a games writer, consultant, and member of advisory boards such as the National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers, the Boston Festival of Indie Games, and the Gerontoludic Society. Paul is also a long-time gamer, playing titles like Bard's Tale and Wasteland during Interplay's golden age, and he remains a huge fan of RPGs from the 80s, 90s, and today. Beyond that, Paul is a great communicator with deep knowledge of inXile and the wider gaming community. We are happy and excited to have him on board, and you can expect to see him popping up in Kickstarter updates, forums, social media, and more going forward.

And now, to kick off this new era of better communication right, here's Paul with some important and exciting info for backers of Wasteland 3!

Matt Findley
    inXile President
    @BayouBard

Building a Post-Apocalyptic Consensus One Voice At A Time

Hi everyone, Paul here!

As Matt said, this will definitely be familiar to those of you who follow our Bard's Tale IV updates. I want to thank the inXile team for the warm welcome! It has been an outstanding (and fast) first month and a half. Though this is the “official” announcement of my arrival, I have been out in the community for the past few weeks so I may have already spoken with many of you. Whether in the forums, on our game Facebook page, or on Twitter @phimseto, please pop by and say hello!

With Wasteland 3, inXile is building out a post-apocalyptic story first begun in 1988. The success of Wasteland 2 reunited us with old fans and brought in legions of new ones. In getting to know our backers and the greater inXile community, I put together a survey to help me understand where you are coming from as RPG and Wasteland fans. This survey isn’t something that I will be sharing publicly, rather it is to help me better identify who our Wasteland 3 backers are and what they like in a Wasteland game. This will help us with development not just of Wasteland 3, but with how we consider and develop future projects! You can find the survey at this link: Wasteland 3 Backer Survey.

The survey is brief and it is your chance to talk directly to the game devs and let us know what you think. The more of you who participate, the better we can strive to make Wasteland 3 and future titles! Thank you in advance for your help and thanks to everyone for supporting Wasteland 3!

Investor News

If you were interested in making an investment reservation, but missed our original campaign, there are still some Fig Game Shares available for Wasteland 3. The window for that will be closing in the near future. If you are interested in earning a return from sales of the game, please check out this link: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/invest.

From the Wasteland Fan Community

One last item before I hand over the update to my colleague: we recently enjoyed watching this video from Youtuber Retcon Raider on the story and setting of Wasteland 3. It is a nice summation of what we've shared publicly so far, so if you are either looking for a primer or a reminder, give it a look. Whether videos like this, post-apocalyptic cosplay, art, or whatnot, we always love hearing from (and sharing the work of) our most creative fans!

See you out there!

Paul Marzagalli
    Public Relations & Community Manager
    @phimseto

Building the Stanley: An Introduction to "The Vertical Slice"

Thomas here to wrap up this update!

In the previous update, we introduced you to Stanley Hotel, one of the zones of Wasteland 3. As part of our production schedule, we'll be looking to flesh out Stanley Hotel early, taking it from blockout (a rough level implementation with no art) into a developed zone, with missions, combat, dialogues and art worked out. That way, the Stanley Hotel will work as our vertical slice, allowing us to proof out the entire process from A to Z. In video games, doing a vertical slice early in production allows you to prove out the production process of your level, catching and correcting any mistakes or factors that'd slow us down for later zones, and it'll give us vital information on questions regarding combat density, balance, and the use of vehicles in our game.

In the coming updates, we'll be sharing various facets of the vertical slice with you, highlighting what this process means for us in art, engineering, design, and writing. Part of the reason we chose the Stanley Hotel as a vertical slice is that the location is fairly isolated from the main storyline, so we'll be able to share a lot of details without spoiling the game's overall story.

Rewards Update: NPCs, GamerShoes

As we're moving into building out our zones, we'll be looking to integrate backer content into our game. If you backed us at the "Design an NPC" level, we recently emailed you to start gathering the details on your NPC! By getting the information this early, we'll be able to work with you to flesh out your contribution to our game and integrate it into the Wasteland 3 world seamlessly. Additionally, we're also producing and sending out another reward soon: the unique Wasteland 3 GamerShoes. If you backed us at a level due this reward, please check your email, as we have reached out to you about this reward as well!

Until next time,
    Thomas Beekers
    Creative Producer

Follow Us:
    Facebook | Twitter