Skip to content

Help me pick a PC for evil play through

I have posted the following in the BG 1 discussion thread. I wanted to post it here too, as I am looking for advice for an entire trilogy playthrough. If this is an improper duplicate post, I apologize and please delete this post.

I am currently suffering from a major case of rerollitis. I have decided to do a complete trilogy runthrough with an evil party. I will be using the following NPCs:
Dorn
Edwin
Viconia
Kagain (BG) / Korgan (BG2) / Sarevok (ToB - or keep Korgan)
??????? (BG) / Hexxat (BG2)

I know I don't want to use a divine caster, pure thief, pure mage, F/M, or M/T.

Currently, I am considering one of the following: (1) blade; (2) using EEkeeper to make an elf fighter/thief kit multiclass (likely assassin or perhaps shadowdancer); or (3) dark moon monk.

I initially rolled a F/Assassin, but then I got nervous because: (1) I have always used two arcane casters in my party and while I am up to a challenge, I don't want to make the game too difficult and (2) I worried that a F/T plus Hexxat is too much thief for SoA and ToB. I then rolled a blade, which I hear is awesome but for some reason I am just hesitant to play. I then loaded up a DMM after downloading some monk HLA mod which seemed fun, but it seems there isn't a lot of gear for monks in the trilogy and I love the feeling of looting "that awesome item" I have been waiting for.

I don't mind micromanaging my PC (as long as it isn't just repetitive nonsense before each fight), and I would like my PC to be a big contributor to the team.

At the end of the day, however, I think my pick is going to come down to fun. Over 15 years I have played this game several times (always as a good guy for some reason, usually as a paladin or mage) and I want a fun new experience.

Any advice on what PC I should make (from either the above three ideas or something else) would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    definitely go for the monk, especially if you have never played a DMM before
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    To deal with the same thing in 2 separate topics is not wise, as there is redundancy and people have to jump between 2 topics to know what has been already told.
    Is also not allowed by forum rules, but I am not a moderator, so I am not entitled to say if this is the case.
    I suggest you to edit your OP message inserting the link of the topic in the BG1 board, so people that visit mainly this can redirected there, and ask the people to post there.
    The topic here can still be useful, and imo has not to be cancelled, but just to draw the attention and redirect, as also BG2 is relevant to answer to you.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    I believe it's faster to say what you actually could consider playing.
    Your criteria mean only the following remains:
    Fighter
    F/T, either dual or multi
    Blackguard
    Monk

You already have a Blackguard (Dorn), which leaves only three options
    What I would consider as a solution would be a dual Shadowdancer=>Fighter. Shadowdancer in BG, dualing at level 9 for example into a fighter
    DMM is nice to play as well.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    I would go with Fighter/Mage/Thief as a PC, to cover the thief role.

1:
    PC
    Dorn
    Kagain
    Viconia
    Edwin
    (6th: Maybe Tiax? I don't need a sixth character.)

2:
    PC
    Dorn
    Korgan
    Edwin
    Viconia
    Jahiera

These are my suggestions, a very efficient and enjoyable party!
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Blade or a Half-Orc Evil Dark Moon Monk (EEkeepered the race and 19strength).
    The only real items you are missing with your monk are weapons and armour. Everything else is basically useable (no helmets, but Ioun stones). DMM is fun, except for the first ~ 4-5 levels