Skip to content

How about adding targeting filters in all opcodes?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
edited October 2016 in Feature Requests
I'm working on some spells that are supposed to work on some creatures always, on others some of the time, and not work on still others at all. And not just now but whenever I want to make any spell effects more complicated than a simple "save or this happens," I have to navigate a maze of nesting. I have to put inside tons of Use EFF File (opcode 177) or Apply Effects List (opcode 326). I'm kind of tired of erecting that separate system just so I can choose who the spell will apply to.

Here is an example: I want to give half-elves their 30% resistance to charm. I can use a Protection From Spell (opcode 206), but not by itself, because you can't put a target type in that effect - or in almost any others. No, I have to either:

1) Put a Use EFF File in the spell, select half-elves as the target, make an EFF, then choose Protection From Spell and point it to the spell I want to give half-elves resistance to,

or

2) Put an Apply Effects List in the spell, select half-elves as the target, create a new SPL to link to, inside that SPL make a Spell Ability with a Protection From Spell effect - pointing to the spell I want to give half-elves resistance to.

What a drag! And the clicking, the back-and-forth, and keeping records of how many files you've made, and what they are called... And updating them! Forget to update a secondary EFF or SPL, and the whole thing will go askew, and you'll wonder which link of the chain gave in. Why not introduce the target type field inside all opcodes so that we can directly choose the filter right there? Or is this impossible? It would exactly halve the amount of work for complicated spells!

Comments

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Why not introduce the target type field inside all opcodes so that we can directly choose the filter right there? Or is this impossible?
    There is no space left in spl file structure for new universal parameters.
    JuliusBorisov
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    How is there space left in the opcodes 177 and 326 themselves, then?
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    They use main parameters for that, not a new field.