Skip to content

Exp questions. Without farming.

At what point in the series do most people hit 3 million and 4 million exp marks with groups of 4 or 6, or solo? This is without "extensive" hunting critters for exp (not more than 15% of total exp). How much content is left at those points?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The two big experience jumps in the game are the spellhold-sahuagin-underdark quest chain, and Watcher Keep.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    it's not really possible to farm exp in the BG series is it? other than exploiting bugs or learning and forgetting spells? you either clear a map do/find everything or you don't.

as to the other question...don't know :(
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Enemies tend to spawn and interrupt your rest if you sleep in the wilderness, this seems to happen infinitely. And ankhegs tend to respawn quite a lot.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    mjs said:

it's not really possible to farm exp in the BG series is it? other than exploiting bugs or learning and forgetting spells? you either clear a map do/find everything or you don't.

as to the other question...don't know :(

Taking an unnecessary number of naps in the flesh golem cave?
    Yeah alright ...
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    On playing BG2, I explore every singe area and complete every quest I have and just hit the 2.95M XP cap shortly before the end of the game.
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    edited November 2012
    @Jaxsbudgie Enough people have confused themselves with what is the difference between a bug and what was deliberate content in the game that they are axing that from the game. Peoples minds needed to made up for them on how to play before any first time players could have gotten ahold of it and risk discovering their own way to enjoy the game. What an overburden of a luxury it was for us getting to make up our own minds.
    edited November 2012
    @bigdogchris Thank you most kindly! Appreciate the info. Exactly what I wanted to know. At what party size?
    Figrut said:

@Jaxsbudgie Enough people have confused themselves with what is the difference between a bug and what was deliberate content in the game that they are axing that from the game. Peoples minds needed to made up for them on how to play before any first time players could have gotten ahold of it and risk discovering their own way to enjoy the game. What an overburden of a luxury it was for us getting to make up our own minds.

I don't really understand what you just wrote there ... but I will on occasion nap excessively in the flesh golem cave to level up a dual-classed character faster than usual. The flesh golems should really stop spawning, where are they all hiding?
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Funny. I farm a little bit, usually just to get to the level I'm close to, in the golem cave. Too boring to do that for too long, though. I'm not a really good player and have lots of trouble with Dire Charms, Basilisk gaze, and whatnot. Levels matter a bunch to me, as they somewhat compensate for my un-epic-ness.
    @Jaxsbudgie They won't spawn anymore when resting. They are hiding in the same place as all of the other fantasy creatures with their impossible ecologies are hiding. They were considered a bug arbitrarily and are now boasted on the "400+ errors we fixed with the game" list. It was felt we should not play the game like that, so that error was proudly fixed for us. You enjoyed the game wrongly. It won't be possible for new players to the series to repeat your mistakes.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Figrut

Are you really planning on whining about that forevermore? If you read that bug thread you'd see that it wasn't even anyone of the beta team that said that it should be removed. It comes from Dudleyfix.
    I ... I'm sorry?
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    So you find infinitely respawning golems to be a negative thing about the game ... Yet you still choose to camp there and farm them? Ok ...

Why penalize players who don't mind farming them because a few don't like it? You can still farm ankhegs anyway.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    And wyverns. Fixes any early game gold shortage issues too, hehe.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    in BGI i anti-farm in that i very rarely use "You have been waylaid by enemies & must defend yourself."
    one of the first ambushes i encountered involved ghouls & kobolds...really?
    i'm pretty sure the ghouls would eat the kobolds.
    my geeky d&d-ness wants random encounters that make sense...
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I've never seen, in my recollection, ghouls AND kobolds. That wouldn't make sense unless the kobolds were evil clerics. XD
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    I haven't seen kobolds and ghouls either, but Ghosts and Ghouls is quite annoying.

I mean, killing undead by throwing javelins.. in your underpants?! Knowing that your girl has been captured by a demon who spits fire out of his crotch?

I can't believe you're complaining about random encounters when Arthur had to go through all that sh*t. Twice. You silly, spoiled Bhaalspawn brats.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    I hit the 8 million XP level cap right after I arrived in Suldanesselar in a solo game with a Cleric/Thief. I never finished that game as I lost interest shortly after I started Watcher's Keep since I wasn't advancing any more, but the enemies were. I tried to salvage the game by re-cycling my PC, but in Watcher's Keep in a solo game that didn't work very well, with level-based spells that I had relied on, such as Energy Blades, suddenly not working.

My playthroughs in my main game with my PC (Evice) and his wife Viconia have become somewhat complicated as far as level-ups and caps are concerned. In my main game, which varies in party member total, but always has at least two (Evice and Viconia) I re-cycle my characters when they hit their level caps (using Shadowkeeper) so that they keep what they have earned, but the game thinks they are back to level 1 with 0 experience, and hence, are capable of advancing again. Evice and Viconia have never made it through a playthrough without hitting the level cap and re-cycling. In their 1st playthrough I mined healing potions by resting in areas where enemies would spawn that carried them, so that might have influenced their rise in the 1st playthrough, but I don't usually do stuff like that and they've gone for whole playthroughs without it. I'm not sure where an average place would be where they would finish a cycle. It's complicated by the fact that the cycles carry over from one game to another, so often they don't start over until halfway through the next game. Evice and Viconia are currently in their 5th playthrough of BG2, plus one in BG Tutu and I think they've had about six or seven cycles so far.
    Post edited by ARKdeEREH on
  • ElofElof Member Posts: 42
    I remember hitting the BG2 level cap with my main character just before killing Bodhi in a BG2 started game with a party of six. I would expect to get that level of XP in the Underdark if I had a BG1 party that I imported.
    @Tanthalas As long as it is bragged as a "bug" (error) "fixed" (as advertised) It will Irk me, yeah. The counter arguements for leaving it in were kinda gratting to me and belittling. Why do you ask?
    @Tanthalas The "400+ BUGS FIXED!" just means a whole lot less when any of those tallies are just personal preferrences that are modded into the game and not actually bugs, but intended content by the developers that didn't suit *random persons with keyboard*. Buyer beware I suppose.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    Figrut said:

@Tanthalas The "400+ BUGS FIXED!" just means a whole lot less when any of those tallies are just personal preferrences that are modded into the game and not actually bugs, but intended content by the developers that didn't suit *random persons with keyboard*. Buyer beware I suppose.

Oh shut up.

I'm a Vanilla ToTSC nazi and I'm 95% happy with what they've done. The "personal preference" changes that you speak of are few and far between. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking probably about 15 or so.
    @Quartz I like most off what they done. I was asked a question I was not even thinking about anymore that was dredged up, so I answered it. If you are not a fan of any truth in advertising, that is your deal. Fix the bugs, great. Change things on personal preference, advertise it on that. I would have still bought it. When you change something on a personal preference, do not advertise it as a bug fixed. I understand that many disagree with that, and good on you. I will disagree every time if brought up. Sorry.
    edited November 2012
    By "I like most", I should say "I am damn grateful" if you went by 96% of my posts. For every person I talked out of preordering, I talked 3 into it. Not every edit, or I dare say improvement, Is a "bug fix" and it is dang shady to "sell" on as if it were. If it was really X bug fixes, and Y "mods somebody personally felt like implementing", yeah, not big fan on being sold on it otherwise.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Figrut

Like I've already said before, that fix comes straight from Dudleyfix. Your whining about such an unimportant thing has went past reasonable levels a long time ago.

If you want to claim that Overhaul is doing false advertizing and implying that 400+ bugs have not been fixed (its actually advertized as 400+ improvements by the way) all because 1 exploit was removed and you didn't like it, then I suggest you go to the fixed forum, open every single discussion there, and count all the actual bugs that have been fixed. I assure you, its already well over 500.

If you want to continue complaining about the Flesh Golem respawns stick to the actual Flesh Golem discussion. From now on I'll be deleting all your posts whining about it in other discussions.