Skip to content

Where can I find Biter +2 in bg2ee?

NameLessOne47NameLessOne47 Member Posts: 23

I have successfully loaded all loadable items from SoD, and I did find some of them.
Now I want to find Biter +2, it is told by some people that it could be bought from Jayes in Waukeen's Promenade at night. The problem is, I could not find it at Jayes's menu.

Anyone has found it?

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    You had Biter +2 in your inventory at the end of SoD?

As long as it's not in a container - Bag of Holding as an example - it should have been imported to BG2EE.
  • NameLessOne47NameLessOne47 Member Posts: 23

You had Biter +2 in your inventory at the end of SoD?

As long as it's not in a container - Bag of Holding as an example - it should have been imported to BG2EE.

Sure I had. Don't doubt about importing issue.
    so you mean you can find it at Jayes?
    @Sylvus_Moonbow
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    I don't know if it is supposed to be at Jayes. Not much information about its location. A post I found on reddit just had Biter +2 - Jayes at night (?)

With the question mark, the poster wasn't sure either.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited October 2016
    Yes, if import has worked correctly then Biter +2 is sold by Jayes. (That's where it's been in my last couple of runs, and it seems pretty certain that all of the SoD-item imports have fixed locations in BG2ee.)

The one with which I've had trouble is the Robe of Red Flames - for some reason unknown to me, it's failing to appear in BG2ee, even though all of the other importable SoD items are appearing for me where I expect them.

[Edit: spelling.]
    Post edited by Gallowglass on

Yes, if import has worked correctly then Biter +2 is sold by Jayes. (That's where it's been in my last couple of runs, and it seems pretty certain that all of the SoD-item imports have fixed locations in BG2ee.)

The one with which I've had trouble is the Robe of Red Flame - for some reason unknown to me, it's failing to appear in BG2ee, even though all of the other importable SoD items are appearing for me where I expect them.

It was told Edwin has the Robe of Red Flame. @Gallowglass
    @Gallowglass Ya, I have found Biter +2 now, thanks, bro. I misplaced it on SoD, bad mistake.

I've seen that said, yes. However, when I've tested it on a couple of runs, no, Edwin didn't have it, even though on both occasions it was definitely in my protagonist's backpack (and not inside the Bag of Holding) at the end of SoD.

If anyone else out there has actually succeeded in obtaining the Robe of Red Flames in BG2ee, I'd appreciate a tip about how to do it.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

I've seen that said, yes. However, when I've tested it on a couple of runs, no, Edwin didn't have it, even though on both occasions it was definitely in my protagonist's backpack (and not inside the Bag of Holding) at the end of SoD.

If anyone else out there has actually succeeded in obtaining the Robe of Red Flames in BG2ee, I'd appreciate a tip about how to do it.
    Yeah, I got it off Edwin, not sure why its refusing to show for you :(

And that was simply by having the Robe in your protagonist's backpack at the end of SoD, and then Edwin was wearing it as soon as you recruited him in BG2ee? Or did you also have to do something else to make the transfer work?

And that was simply by having the Robe in your protagonist's backpack at the end of SoD, and then Edwin was wearing it as soon as you recruited him in BG2ee? Or did you also have to do something else to make the transfer work?
    I actually had it equipped on my mage and it still transferred over.
    Update: I've just reached the recruitment of Edwin in my current run ... and yet again, he doesn't have the Robe of Red Flames.

I can only assume that there must be something else required to make this work, some trigger condition or required action, which I'm missing.

Can someone advise, please? What is required apart from simply having the Robe at the end of SoD?

Update: I've just reached the recruitment of Edwin in my current run ... and yet again, he doesn't have the Robe of Red Flames.

I can only assume that there must be something else required to make this work, some trigger condition or required action, which I'm missing.

Can someone advise, please? What is required apart from simply having the Robe at the end of SoD?

Nothing, simply don't have it in a container and it should be transferring. This is really bizarre,
    ThacoBell said:

Nothing, simply don't have it in a container and it should be transferring.

That was my understanding too ... and indeed that works for all of the other transferable SoD items. For the Robe, however, no, transfer has never worked for me. That's why I was wondering if there's some additional condition which I'm missing.

When it works, exactly where does it come up? Is Edwin meant to be wearing it? (In my case, he's always wearing an Adventurer's Robe.) Or is Edwin meant to be carrying it in his backpack? (In my case, that's empty.) Or what?
    Yeah, Edwin is always wearing it for me.
    "'Mysteriouser and mysteriouser!' said Alice".

I feel a bug report is needed here, but I haven't (yet) got a sufficient grasp of the issue to detail the bug.

@ThacoBell - thanks for your assistance, and I hope you don't mind if I keep bouncing questions off you to try to pin down what's different between your case and mine.

One thing I've noticed, upon reloading my end-SoD saves, is that each time, I've had the Robe first in my backpack among the various SoD items which I've been trying to import (although there were non-transferable items before it in the pack). Thus I'm wondering if there's some bug which causes the first transferable item to fail to transfer? Has it ever worked for you when the Robe was the first transferable item?

(Yes, I know I'm clutching at straws here, but I'd really like to pin down what causes it not to work for me, and I'm running out of ideas.)
    @Gallowglass I don't mind at all. I believe I usually keep it equipped on my npc mage. Either Dynaheir or Neera. I don't think its ever sat in the actual backpack at the end of my SOD runs.
    @ThacoBell - Aha! Well, that's different from what I'm doing, so maybe (just maybe!) that has something to do with the problem I'm experiencing.

So, for the avoidance of doubt ... you're saying that for you the Robe transfers successfully even when not in the possession of your protagonist at the end of SoD? That's weird, and I'm sure isn't the intended behaviour - the published intention (as I understand it) is that for consistency with the long-established transfer mechanism from BG1 to BG2 (i.e. without SoD), the protagonist is meant to hold transferring items in his own inventory (either equipped or in backpack) at the end of the game.

Still, this gives me something to try in my next run - perhaps the problem is that the Robe (unlike the other transferrable SoD items) will import to BG2ee only if actually worn, rather than when held in the pack. (But I'm busy taking my current protagonist through BG2ee, so it'll be a while before I get back to taking my next protagonist through SoD.)
    @Gallowglass All of the shaman items that transfer got through for me as well, even though they are all on M'khiin. I don't even think my charname even holds most of them.
    @ThacoBell - the Shaman items (Circlet of Lost Souls and Heart of the Mountain) are different, they're not importing from SoD. They've been permanently added to BG2ee to support the new Shaman class, even if you don't play SoD at all.
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    @Gallowglass I know it's a bit of necroposting, but did you manage to import the Robe eventually? So I don't make the same mistake.. :P
    koteko said:

@Gallowglass I know it's a bit of necroposting, but did you manage to import the Robe eventually?

No!

With subsequent runs, I think I've now eliminated the (admittedly long-shot) possibility that it's anything to do with the storage order in the protagonist's backpack at the end of SoD. My current run had the Robe last instead of first, and still it was not worn by Edwin when I recruited him.

That run is still in progress, so I haven't yet had a further run to test the possibility (implied by @ThacoBell) that the Robe (unlike all of the other importable SoD items) needs to be being worn at the end of SoD instead of merely being carried in the backpack.

Further advice from anyone about how to make the import of the Robe work successfully would be welcome.
    It could another mysterious Infinity engine bug that only ever seems to affect one person at a time.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    @Gallowglass I did some digging into the SOD import process a while ago, and it's different from the regular BG > BG2 item import. I never play BG1 anymore, so I create my characters and edit in the items before I import to BG2.

For SOD items, you must:
    1. Have the global variable BD_HAVE_SOD=1 in your BG game
    2. Have the items in question in your backpack or equipped on your charname
    3. Import your save game into BG2 (not just the character file)
    During the opening cut-scene, a whole bunch of triggers go off in the background. You'll know it works if you have a bunch of global variables that look like: BD_SOD_IMPORT_XX=1 where XX is items 01 to 11.
    You have to have the right variable for the right item when you enter an area, interact with a store, or first meet an NPC that has the item in question.

As to their locations:
    • Archer's Eyes - Drow Warrior in the Kuo-Toa Ruins
    • Robe of Red Flames - Edwin in Mae'Var's Guildhouse
    • Belt of the Skillful Blade - a Merchant in Ust Natha
    • Biter +2 - Jayes the Fence in Waukeen's Promenade
    • Voidhammer/Voidsword - Spike Pit's Blood Pool in the Lower Tombs (after Spellhold)
    • Bard Hat - Aawill in the Astral Prison
    • Helmet of Dumathoin - Tarnor the Hatchetman in the Sewers
    • Tangled Strings - a Merchant near Rose (not the one that id's the leather) in the Bridge District
    • Buckler of the Fist - Black Market Thief in the Slums District
    • Dragon Blade - Tazok in the Windspear Dungeon
    @luskan - yes, I can always find all of those items at all of those locations, so evidently I'm following correct procedure for the imports to work ... EXCEPT that the Robe of Red Flames is never worn by Edwin (nor appearing anywhere else in BG2ee).

To add more detail to what you've said, you can have eitherBD_SOD_IMPORT_01 = 1 orBD_SOD_IMPORT_02 = 1, but not both, because that represents the choice between the mutually-exclusive Voidsword (01) and Voidhammer (02).

At the start of each BG2ee run, I see BD_SOD_IMPORT_xx = 1 for all 10 importable items (i.e. 01/02 and 03-11) each time, so the various items are clearly all being registered correctly by BG2ee when the end-SoD save is imported.

I also see that those variables can then increment to BD_SOD_IMPORT_xx = 2 later during play. It looks as if this is happening when you first enter the location where the relevant item ought to appear. In particular, when my party first meets Edwin, BD_SOD_IMPORT_03 increments from 1 to 2, which (I guess) ought to mean that Edwin's default robe (an Adventurer's Robe) has been replaced by the Robe of Red Flames at that time. Except that it hasn't actually been replaced - Edwin turns out to be still wearing the Adventurer's Robe (and this is true regardless of whether I recruit Edwin at the first possible opportunity or defer his recruitment until later).

It's not that the item is somehow missing from my game files in BG2ee - I can see it there as BDROBE05.

Thus the problem must be that the intended process of substituting Edwin's default robe with the Robe of Red Flames, which apparently should happen at the time of first entering Edwin's initial location, is failing for some reason. Some sort of script bug, perhaps?
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Quite possibly. The script does a simple change to the items he equips (referencing a specific Edwin creature file if I recall correctly). I'll try and pull the details when I'm on my home pc. Do you have any mods installed?

I'd probably just console it in if everything else is working properly.
    luskan said:

The script does a simple change to the items he equips (referencing a specific Edwin creature file if I recall correctly).

Probably Edwin7.cre.
    luskan said:

Do you have any mods installed?

No.
    luskan said:

I'd probably just console it in if everything else is working properly.

Well, yes, I could do that. But I don't want to have to do that, I just want it to work correctly in the first place!

Since other people have reported success in importing the Robe of Red Flames, I'm now wondering if there's simply a glitch in my own installation of BG2ee. I've therefore now re-downloaded and re-installed, but I won't find out until I start a new run whether this makes any difference - and I'm still in the middle of my current run, so that's a few weeks away yet.
    I see that @islandking is now reporting the same problem in another thread, so it's not just me.

That convinces me that this is definitely a SoD bug, not just a glitch in my own installation.

Clearly it's not happening to everyone, so there must be some trigger or condition for it to occur, but I haven't a clue what that may be.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    @Gallowglass
    Should have seen this post, I was equipping the robe on my PC at the time of the transport, apparently the "Importing an SoD save" feature in BG2EE only works on my main PC, not the entire party.