Skip to content

Dungeon Crawlers

Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
Hey dudes.

I have the curse/blessing of working from home during 4 out of 5 days of the work week, and sometimes that involves a couple hours of spare time. Should I be using this spare time to further my career and work on myself as a human being? Absolutely. Is that what I do? Absolutely not.

Yesterday, during some of my spare time, I started playing Wizardry 8, which I bought from GOG many months ago when it was on sale, and never looked at since. Turns out, it's a hell of a lot of fun, and I then spent pretty much the entire night after work playing it as well. (I even named my Hobbit Rogue "Monty" after a certain BG NPC ;) )

Believe it or not, this is actually my first experience with the more traditional type of dungeon crawlers, so I started looking at some other big names in the genre. Some that stuck out were the Might & Magic series, and Legend of Grimrock I & II. I understand games like these aren't nearly as popular nowadays, but are there any others you guys would recommend? What do you all think of dungeon crawlers? So far I'm having a blast, and I feel bad that I've ignored this genre for so long.
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Lands of Lore is a very old-school dungeon crawler series. The last installment, Lands of Lore III, had even outstanding graphics back in the day. I still remember that I needed to buy a brand new PC for that title. :confounded:

Realms of Arkania is also quite nice, especially being part of The Dark Eye franchise. You could say it feels very similar to the old AD&D PC titles such as Pool of Radiance.

Elminage Gothic a rather well known dungeon crawler in Japan which has also won countless admires oversea. Very similar to the early Wizardry titles, but with way prettier graphics.

Other than them there's always Daggerfall, which can be downloaded for free over at Bethesda.
    JuliusBorisov
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Bloodlust Shadowhunter is a fun little one I've been playing lately, if you can forgive its flaws.
    JuliusBorisov