Skip to content

How would I convert a 5e character to BG (AD&D 2e)?

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
So I've had a though for a while about how one would go about converting characters between editions. I see stuff for converting 2->3.5->4e->5e but not the other way around.

Such as if I wanted to make a gnome lore bard with the following stats

10 str
15 dex
10 con
14 int
8 wis
16 cha

Would I convert to a half-elf joyless bard? Maybe keep race and go gnome illusionist/thief? And for stats I'd get barely any bonuses and spell learning would be abysmal.

I like to view 10 as average and every 2 points above or below as a standard deviation from the average.

So like 8-12 is average with anything below being handicapped and anything above being very exceptional.

But for BG a good stat spread for a half-elf bard would be

10 str
18 dex
16 con
18 int
8 wis
18 cha

3 stats at perfection, 1 exceptional, 2 average. A far cry from the character's original stats.

What do you guys think? How would convert a 3.5, 5e, or even 4e character into BG/2e?
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    If you want to talk purely about modifiers - 2nd edition has a much larger "dead zone' than 3+ edition - where your modifiers are 0, and then modifiers begin to increase or decrease rapidly after the 0 zone.

So if we take, purely based on modifiers, and convert to get the same in 2nd edition from your first array of stats you'd end up with something like:

Str: anything 8-15: 0 with weight allowance going up by 20 units for every 2 stat points. I'm not sure how encumbrance works in 5th edition, but you could probably match the carrying capacity. ~12-13 would net a similar carrying capacity.

Dex: 18 - 18 gives a modifier of +4 in second edition and 4 AC just like 3+ editions.

Con: 16 gives a +3 modifier to HP in 3+ editions, to achieve the same in 2nd ed you need a score of 17 iirc.

Int: +2 modifier would require 16

Wis: -1 modifier, would be a 6-7 in 2nd ed.

Charisma at 16 would translate to 15 charisma in 2nd ed - but reaction adjustment is funky in 2nd ed - and in BG in particular it's 18 or nothing as far as special "good charisma" reactions go.

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Ability_Scores if you're curious on how ability modifiers are presented in baldurs gate - it should show you pretty clearly how much they changed what ability scores mean in 3+ editions of D&D.
    NoobaccaJuliusBorisovThacoBellmashedtaters
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    The wis should be a lot lower to receive the first malus, but that will hurt your lore Bard stuff. Con HP bonus is maxed to +2 for non-fighters.

Use IWDification for Bards, better yet, make a Gnome Illusionist/Thief, and add a bit of lore in EEkeeper. The spellcasting of Bards in 5th is a lot more like wizards in 2nd.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    @Gallenger seems to have done a pretty accurate translation of the stats for you. As he said, there is a lot of dead space when it comes to stats. You don't start gaining benefits until 15+ for most of them. Intelligence/Wisdom will add small amounts of Lore, and Strength has minor benefits but that's about it.

If you want non-martial classes to benefit from Constitution higher than 16, simply drop this in your Override folder. Another poster shared this with me ages ago, but I don't remember who to give them proper credit =/

If you really want to spice up Bards and Thieves, I highly suggest Rogue Rebalancing http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/rr
    JuliusBorisovThacoBellmashedtaters
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    edited October 2016
    So I should take the stats, see their bonuses, and make it appropriate to 2e's stat system?

so the above example would go

12 str
    16 dex
    10 con
    16 int
    7 wis
    16 cha

I'm pretty knowledgeable of how 2e works (own quite a few of the handbooks IRL) but trying to make an edition conversion guide is tricky.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Another vote that stats are mostly very flexible in 2e, especially compared to later editions. Anything 19 and above get silly fast though and it's quite easy to make that if starting reasonably high.

I'd suggest pure bard or jester if wanting to focus on lore, as the others get penalties in trade off for more martial prowess.

Despite the above said on stats, I believe int and wisdom affect lore, so you'll want to pump them if role-playing.

In my opinion 5e looks closer to 2e than 3e or pathfinder, but with different kits.
    VallmyrPteranJuliusBorisov
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253

Another vote that stats are mostly very flexible in 2e, especially compared to later editions. Anything 19 and above get silly fast though and it's quite easy to make that if starting reasonably high.

I'd suggest pure bard or jester if wanting to focus on lore, as the others get penalties in trade off for more martial prowess.

Despite the above said on stats, I believe int and wisdom affect lore, so you'll want to pump them if role-playing.

In my opinion 5e looks closer to 2e than 3e or pathfinder, but with different kits.

I disagree, there is some flavour of second in 5th, but 5th is so vastly superior it can be seen as Homo Sapiens with a main battle tank vs Homo Habilis.
    VallmyrmashedtatersJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    PteranVallmyr
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    If you are into mods, tweaks anthology has a component to remove race restrictions for classes and kits. I've used it to make halfling bards and orc ranger/clerics.
    Vallmyrmashedtaters