Skip to content

Solo Sorcerer Combat Tactics

I'm trying for the first time to solo SoA with a sorcerer. I've successfully soloed the game with a F/M/T in the past and found that very doable, but the sorcerer is proving to be extremely frustrating.

I know spell selection is VERY important, but I've perused most of the popular threads I could find and feel like I have the gist of what is essential. The problem is that I find fighting groups of "easy" enemies to to take forever and that they exhaust my spells so I have to rest all the time. Summoning up a bunch of skeletons and hasting them is not my idea of what a sorcerer should be about. I want to keep cheese, running away and summons to a minimum.

There are a bunch of threads on spell selection but hardly any on combat tactics (that I've found). Which is why I'm wondering; how do you take on a gang of githyanki or a bunch of drow? How do you kill the various types of golems you come across. And how do you do those things without running out of spells so you have to rest between every single encounter?

Comments

• unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    fire shield, mirror image and stone skin for damage.

enchantment school for crowd control.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    It's very hard to keep cheese at a minimum, specially when your are a Sorcheeser.
    If you are do not have at least 3M XP before finding any Drow, you need to consider starting to do those Athkatla quests early on, since it's around the point where it gets really hard unless you have level 9 spells and strong fighting spells in general.

Gith have no MR thus you can blast them with Incendiary Cloud/Cloudkill and Skull Traps. To break the strategy down, I'd recommend using a bunch of Webs (drop them in a sequencer after Greater Malison), and use Sword Spider summons (IMHO skellies suck), turn invisible/Magic Missile/Melf/Chromatic Orb people while the Spiders die, and then blast them with Incendiary Cloud/Cloudkill and then drop the Skull Traps or in reverse order if you prefer.

Drow, well, they're a bit harder but what you can do is 1) same tactic, it takes longer but it works out sometimes 2) Sunfire spam 3) Dragon's Breath (you might need to cast two; use a Project Image) and rest afterwards.

Golems... Just use Stoneskin/Mirror Image/Prot. from Whatever Weapons with some Melf's Minute Meteors and maybe a Tenser's Transformation (and remember to equip the correct weapon type that can damage them in case they're Clay Golems or whatever) and they're dead (in like 10 minutes but don't worry, they can't hit you).

Magic Golems, uuuh, IMO the best way to kill them is using the Ogre form of the level 4 spell, but since nobody picks that spell you can just use normal bullets on a magical Sling and equip one of the STR enhancing belts.

To avoid running out of spells at all you have to abuse of Project Images or Wish. Or just rest. Resting is cheesy but it does exactly what you need: bring all your spells back. Spell Trap sometimes helps as well with getting spells back.

If you're playing with SCS the strategies to kill the Gith/Drow I've posted won't work. Solo'ing as a Sorcheeser with SCS is actually hard, otherwise it just requires knowledege.
  • solo4funsolo4fun Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2016
    Thanks CrevsDaak! That's really helpful. I wanted to play with SCS but I was unable to install it so it's just vanilla for now. You're right about needing lots of XP before entering the Underdark, but soloing that's very attainable with all the Athkatla quests. Unfortunately you get to deal with gith already in the planar prison quest so you can't do that too early, and beholders in the unseeing eye aren't great fun early on either.

I realize also that GOI will protect you from your own web and skull trap, which is potentially helpful.

I'm undecided on the cheesiness of Project Image. If you use it as intended it roots your PC in place and with fog of war you're really limited in navigating.

I find wish rest to be incredibly unreliable. I only get the rest option about 10% of the time so I don't find it that useful. I don't think resting is inherently cheesy. But it gets silly if you have to rest 10 times in one dungeon.

Good tip on the Magic Golems. Ademantite will still be a pain I see.

Spider Spawn is a lv.4 spell, and there are so many other things to pick that level I find it hard to defend taking it. Skellies only get good after lv.15. But again, I don't want to use summons as more then a distraction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    You can buy a rod in the drow city that makes golems save or die - that can be fun to use in Suldanesselar.

You've already mentioned the virtues of skull trap for crowd control. If you're going to use that regularly, and don't want to rest too much, you might want to invest in the 6th level protection from magic energy spell. Similarly to reduce resting you could go for limited wish at 7th level - that can reliably restore your skull traps :smile:.

If you're bothered about the fog of war then why not go for Farsight? As an alternative to your own spell I often try and get that from the Book of Infinite Spells.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited October 2016
    The closest I've come to a Sorc. solo is an Ass(assin)/Mage solo. and all I can really add to the excellent advice already given is to get your weapon proficiencies right. For example, putting a pip in dual-wielding helps when you have Kuldane in the off hand (or if you don't want to dual wield, putting a pip in single-weapon style gives you better AC early on).

My most used spells by far were: Invisibility (don't get into a fight you can't win), Fireshield, Stoneskin, Mirror Image and Haste.

EDIT: Just realised the weapon profs advice isn't relevant for a Sorcerer - but the spell advice still stands!
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    dunbar said:

The closest I've come to a Sorc. solo is an Ass(assin)/Mage solo. and all I can really add to the excellent advice already given is to get your weapon proficiencies right. For example, putting a pip in dual-wielding helps when you have Kuldane in the off hand (or if you don't want to dual wield, putting a pip in single-weapon style gives you better AC early on).

My most used spells by far were: Invisibility (don't get into a fight you can't win), Fireshield, Stoneskin, Mirror Image and Haste.

EDIT: Just realised the weapon profs advice isn't relevant for a Sorcerer - but the spell advice still stands!

mightn't be a bad idea to learn darts anyway. an elf sorc would have maybe 14 thac0 after the prologue, and access to poison darts. it works great against enemy mages.
    edited October 2016
    Thanks guys! Awesome advice here :)

How reliable is the limited wish spell restoration? I've never used it.

I didn't know you could get farsight from the book of infinite spells. I usually go with True Sight. Might try to switch that this time.

Protection from Magic Energy dosen't protect 100% while GOI does (against scull trap that is). And GOI protects against a whole bunch of other stuff that might be thrown your way. Duration is a lot shorter of course.

Critters can be worth A LOT of XP sometimes. A shame to sneak past them. At the moment I'm enjoying Stoneskin + Fireshield, running into the middle and setting off a sunfire er two. This works reasonably well but I feel like I need at least one more basic tactic to deal with "easy" critters so I don't run out of spells too fast.

ANYWAY, what about early SoA tactics? Previously I've been largely ignoring potions, but I think there might be quite a few useful effects that can really help out early. For instance, there are a lot of potions of fire resistance. Can you combine that with fireshield to get 100% resistance? If so, a wand of fireball would be a lot more useful.
    Post edited by solo4fun on
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Firstly, I forgot to mention Shadow Armour in my earlier post (to be used in conjunction with Fireshield etc.).

Secondly, in early SoA once you've got the spell Knock you can easily do the Thieves' Guild quest. You won't be able to disarm the traps but with all your buffs up they are easily survivable and you still get the loot and the XP (just make sure that a trap hasn't level-drained you before saving and moving on).

Generally speaking, use Haste in conjunction with Invisibility to make sneak attacks with AoE spells - i.e. cast Haste then Invisibility and make your attack, then (still hasted) run back out of sight, cast Invisibility again and make another attack (this worked well for me in the Guarded Compound).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2016
    @dunbar it's really too bad that sorcerer can't dual (or multiclass) at all. I know how effective an F/M and F/M/T can be.
    chimaera said:

Did the EE version change the spell Protection from magic energy? Because in the original game it certainly does protect 100% from skull trap and horrid wilting, unlike GOI, which in my experience was a bit buggy in that aspect.

It's been too long since I played the original. I haven't tested PfME myself, but I have tested GOI in EE and it does protect 100%.

Also, this:
    http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Protection_from_Magic_Energy
    Post edited by solo4fun on
    The spell description in EE is the same as vanilla, i.e. 100% protection (which is what it gives). I agree the Wiki is incorrect. GOI won't prevent Horrid Wilting as that is too high level.
    edited October 2016
    @Grond0 You are right. But I'm still not convinced it's a better pick then GOI. I feel like GOI has more versatility.

I can also confirm that Potion of Fire Resistance + Fireshield Red does indeed give you 100% fire resistance. Unfortunately wand of fire with it's 6d6 fireball is really anaemic, and the regular fireball isn't that much better. What is weird is that even with this 100% fire resistance you still get a chance for spell failure in an incendiary cloud and have to save vs spell even though you take no damage from it.

Also, Shield + Stoneskin + Mirror image (+ Fireshield) will get torn down in about 3 rounds against competent fighters. Which is not long enough at all. If you add improved invisibility this time goes up significantly.
    solo4fun said:

@Grond0 You are right. But I'm still not convinced it's a better pick then GOI. I feel like GOI has more versatility.

That's true - I'm not saying it's a better pick, just that it's another option. There are far more useful spells at 4th level than slots available, so I personally wouldn't use GOI, but I agree it has its uses.

If using the wand of fire then scorchers normally do far more damage than fireballs - just activate it and then run round in order to get the scorcher to damage all the opposition. If you're losing your buffs quickly that probably means you're not moving enough yourself - you'll normally do very little damage in melee, so when you're not actually casting you should be moving to avoid enemies being able to attack you. If you do like the idea of melee as a sorcerer then have a look at the polymorph self spell. Using a spider shape in multiple webs can be fun ...
    GOI is actually level 6, so it's competing with PfME, amongst other useful spells. But yes. Level 4 is difficult. Too many good spells.

I can't believe I just now discovered the scorcher on the wand of fire. I've always just dismissed that wand as an inconvenient fireball. I might use it more as my go to weapon instead of spells now.

I don't expect to do much mêlée as a sorcerer. My theory was that if I could become immune to whatever AoE spell I was using I could just use my PC as bait while enemies took damage. This has so far not turned out to be a great strategy unfortunately.
    It can be a good strategy, but it's easier with a few more levels. Sitting in cloudkills can be particularly nasty to the opposition if you're immune to poison. Even if you're not then lead a group into cloudkills and then go invisible. At higher levels doing a similar thing with incendiary cloud does huge amounts of damage. If you're keen on AoE damage then try out the same thing with ice storm, which does a respectable amount of damage over time. If you're using your own spell to go invisible inside an ice storm then make sure you cast that just after you take damage (to avoid having your spell interrupted). Alternatively use an item such as a potion or ring.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Cloudkill does 1d10 poison damage and you can obtain the Periapt of Proof Against Poison in the druid grove kinda early so this is an interesting strategy at least.

Incendiary cloud does 1d4/level fire damage and immunity is obtainable with batalistas passport and fireshield.

Unfortunately, even while immune, you still act as if you're taking damage and have to save to avoid spell failure. This feels like a bug.

In testing I've found teleport field + slow to be a pretty impressive combo for disabling enemies.

I definitely agree that 6 skull traps to the face is impressive. But that's kinda all the skulltraps you have for the day, and then you have to rest again. And spell trigger is a level 8 spell, and you probably want ADHW first, so you're generally not gonna get this until level 17. So how would you generally deal impressive damage until then?
    edited October 2016
    In relation to spell disruption on zero damage: if you don't like that you could look at installing Tobex - that has a component to prevent such disruption.

Spell sequencer is only level 7 and does nicely thank you for skull traps. Limited wish is also level 7 and allows you to regenerate those skull traps! Then of course remember that skull traps have an unlimited life - you can pile up as many as you want before leading creatures into them (or if you're feeling really mean pre-cast them where you know an enemy will appear to 'ambush' you B) ).
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited October 2016
    @solo4fun You will not. but using the wands and wisely the spells a solo Sorcerer can win more than a single battle in the day, even in a modded game. When PI and than infinite spell combos come into the equation the sorcerer can use less the wands and X charges/day items. From a PG point of view there is no reason to go with an half exhausted spellbook if you can charge it at will. From a RP point of view, and to keep the challenge up, the thing is different. How to mediate between the two issues is player's choice.
    This is not only a Sorcerer's issue, a F->M using CC, spell trap and a couple of clones can have for free a caster and a fighter clone at each fight. The Limited wish is more a Wild Mage thing, but a Sorcerer, better in a magic heavy party, can make good use of it. Every PI, if it last the battle and has spells of the level, can recharge the first 4 levels of the spellbooks, in the end of the day it can be like 16-20 free spells for everybody.
    Web+web+gm+spyders+MMM, Projected Image, in a party with 3-4 arcane casters a Sorcerer with the Limited Wish trade a single lev 7 spell (PI, not the wish) for a lot of 1-4 lev spells, for a soloer probably is not the best pick, but used with the leftover spells of the PIs can still give a noticeable bonus in the low level spells.
    edited October 2016
    Absolutely! But you can only have one spell sequencer at a time so that is only 3 skulltraps to the face ;) But you can indeed use them as traps.

In my limited testing, limited wish only restored a single casting of skulltrap for me. I'm not sure, but I feel like it restored one casting of 1st level spells, one casting of 2nd level spells and one casting of 3rd level spells. That's not particularly impressive.

But here is an actual bug for you. The wand of cloudkill or the spell cloudkill, which clearly states in their description that they will deal 1d10 POISON damage per round is NOT blocked by the Periapt of Proof Against Poison, even though it clearly states in it's item description that the equipped ability is "Immunity to poison". Disappointing.
    solo4fun said:

In my limited testing, limited wish only restored a single casting of skulltrap for me. I'm not sure, but I feel like it restored one casting of 1st level spells, one casting of 2nd level spells and one casting of 3rd level spells. That's not particularly impressive.

But here is an actual bug for you. The wand of cloudkill or the spell cloudkill, which clearly states in their description that they will deal 1d10 POISON damage per round is NOT blocked by the Periapt of Proof Against Poison, even though it clearly states in it's item description that the equipped ability is "Immunity to poison". Disappointing.

Limited wish restores a certain number of L1-4 spells. If you've only used L3 ones, then that's what will get restored - if you've used lower level ones as well then the restoration will be spread around.

The Periapt is not actually bugged, but I agree that its description is misleading. It protects against your character being poisoned, which is not the same effect as taking poison damage. Therefore the Periapt would stop you being affected by continuing poison damage from, e.g. an arrow of biting, but won't help you if you sit in a cloudkill. For the latter try the Ring of Gaxx (or a green scroll)!
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    I love the sorcerer. I found soloing SoA & ToB as a sorcerer is easier than playing a full party. The trick as I imagine you are all aware is choosing the right spells - theres no one right set but there are good picks and bad picks. There are certian must haves though (like stoneskin, MMM, PfMW, CC&ADHW etc.) that make the game much, much easier.
    edited October 2016
    Good point about ADHW vs spell trigger.

Also, Emotion + cloudkill (from wand) is really good. This goes a long way towards disposing of all the early "easy" encounters.

I'm now looking for a good way to dispose of undead at low levels. Some of them, like the bone golem, just shrugs off fireballs, cloudkill and skulltraps.
    chimaera said:

Why would you pick adhw first? The damage is nice, but it has a long casting time and you can't stack it until you get chain contingency. Both the sequencer and trigger get you three additional spells you can release at once in combat. So yes, i'd pick them up first for a solo sorcerer.

I personally pick ADHW before trigger first because a) its a powerful spell that only damages enemies meaning you can cast it on yourself unlike every other AoE spell before and b) when/if you have simulacrum it's preferable to have your clone able to cast ADHW as sooner as opposed to spell trigger which it can't use same principle can apply to level drain you would lose ADHW first if you chose it later.

Choosing spell trigger first is fine but there are reasons to choose ADHW first.

edited November 2016
    chimaera said:

I'm not sure what you mean about the level drain, though. I wouldn't expect this to be much of a problem by the time you can cast level 8 spells.

Tbh level drain shouldnt be a problem by the time you can cast 6th level spells or when getting the amulet of power but it was just a note related to the Simulacrum point that you will have the first you chose available if you're ever level drained.
    Speaking of the amulet of power. Are there any reasons not to go for it as soon as you have the cash even though you're not gonna rush off to spellhold just yet?
    It depends how you feel about vampire ambushes (they will be hostile if you have already sided with the thieves). I have a bad habit of not paying attention while moving across areas, so can easily get accosted by vampires before being able to prepare - for many characters an immediate domination attempt could then be fatal to a solo no-reload. As a result I tend not to pay Gaelan Bayle until after all the vampire ambushes have gone. However, you can delay going to Spellhold as long as you like, so if you're careful with the vampires there's no problem to getting the AoP early.