Skip to content

The 1000 - The Restless Edition

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
Takes away 1000 gold every day. This one is not tied to any particular hour, the counting begins from the hour your game was saved at. You will still be able to buy the equipment with your starting money in a new game.

There are two installers in the package. The 1000 file works as described, and 1000RE instead applies the tax every time the party rests. You should probably choose just one.

1000 was my original goal for the deduction mod, which I then reduced for "The 500." But the game has too many magic weapons and free gold, and 500 is not nearly enough to make any difference. You will feel this one more. The purpose in both cases is to keep the party lean and heroic, relying on its own strength.

"The 1000" also uses a timer instead of a time-of-day check, so it works better.

Includes an optional readme with some considerations about the role of money and treasure.

Download

Comments

• rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    I really like the concept of this mod. I would like to make a change to it, but so far, can't made heads or tails of the code.

My desired change is simply to exclude Inn resting, either by adding 8 hours to the timer, or not counting as a rest (I imagine changing the 1000RE for the second option would be easier.)

Any guidance/suggestions would be most welcome.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    The code, as far as I remember, is simply a timer in baldur.bcs. There is no way to stop it, but you can try to make provisions for the first floors of the inns, where the innkeeper usually offers beds. If you really want to do this, look for the area codes on the Web. Then go to the mod-changed baldur.bcs and put this on top:

IF

OR(-however may inns there are-)
    AreaCheck("...")
    AreaCheck("...")
    GlobalTimerExpired(...)

THEN

- reset the timer.

But before you do that, you should think about the idea behind the mod. By mid-game my party, at least, usually carries 30-50 thousand gold pieces, and that's after buying some expensive items. This mod is a kick on the purse, and it's meant to keep the party pretty poor as well as marching along instead of relaxing for days at inns. There is a reason why adventures are called "scrapes." And to achieve its goal, a mod like this must be pretty brutal.

I'm thinking of another mod along these lines, but something with more role-playing. I might call it "Robber baron."
  • LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    It would be more fun if there was a tax office in each town and you had to pay tax on your "earnings", if you didn't pay on time, the law would come after you!
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    The Flaming Fist will bring tax evaders to justice!!!