Skip to content

Future BG-related content?

With the most recent statement regarding 2.4 mentioning that it would be mostly bug fixes, and with the lack of information about updates to the BG universe in the future in general, I'm unsure whether Beamdog is still planning on expanding upon the BG universe. I loved the majority of the new content in SOD, and was hoping for updates that would integrate it more with the other two games, and tie the universe together in a more cohesive manner. It would be amazing, for example, to be able to rescue Caelar in BG2, or to more fully integrate Ascension into BG2 (which was created by a Bioware employee to begin with, iirc). There's so much more room to expand.

I really hope the release drama, as crazy as it was, does not discourage Beamdog from making future updates to the universe. People obviously had a right to disagree with some of the choices made, but the level of outrage used to express it was ridiculous. It's all very, very sad.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the future. It's been a rough ride, but the content Beamdog has released has gotten better and better, and I want to remain optimistic.

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    A tie-in of SoD into BG2 would be welcome. Apart from that, just bugfixing and polishing the engine is fine by me. No additional material is needed, especially as incorporating SoD into BG2 already leaves more than enough space for additional stuff.
    With the new game helmed by David Gaider I expect a move away from Baldur's Gate. I think it would also be better for reception if it is not tied in to the BG universe as we know it right now.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I don't want to talk here about the SoD release drama, I also did it very marginally in topics more related to it. But I don't think that the fact that the drama happened can be a reason to not add new content to the saga. The reasons is that Beamdog has realized that it has not the strength (money and man power) to deal with too many things. So they now focus on doing less things, but in a better way, releases less bugged and so on. And I appreciate that.

Ascension was written by a Bioware emplyee, but it was done as a mod. And imo such changes of the game should remain mods, good for the experienced players that want to have more challenge, I don't see it as a part of the vanilla game, it would be crazy difficult for a not experienced player.

I don't talk of SoD, that I don't own and don?t know, but even if I appreciated the new EE NPCs introduction I don't think that more content from the developers is now needed. For that there are the mods, that did a fantastic work in the original and continue to do it in EE.
    EE is doing a good work in helping the modders, as changed the engine in a way that give to them some more tools, but I feel that continue changes to the game can only create problems for the modders. as each update of the game may create compatibility problems with mods.

I hope that the updating will stop or slow down as soon as a stable, bug free version of the games is reached and the changes that had to be made are done. And adding to BG2 some content related to SoD, maybe having a couple of SoD only NPCs recruitable in SoA, can be part of those changes. Imo integrate Ascension in the vanilla game no.

Imo the Bioware formula was fine, the developer released good games, playable by new players without problems. And the modders did the rest, giving to the player even more freedom of choice.
    Tactics mod, Improved Anvil and SCS was 3 alternate possible choices. And there where mod NPCs and quests, some of them well written.

If the new content of the saga will be BG3 obviously everything change, I am talking of new content in the existing games.