Skip to content

Evolving a concept for an IWD 1+2 run.

Long story short, I'm putting together a four person party to run through the series. I know you can't carry your actual party over from IWD 1 to 2, but I would use the same concept for both (Recreating the same characters for IWD2 that I do for IWD1). The only ground rules are that everyone has to be single-classed and no two of the same race. I'd like to go with something classic like a Warrior, Priest, Wizard, and Rogue. In other words, all four of separate categories. Obviously, this keeps me from using a number of races/classes added in IWD2. I'm fine with that. I'm not a fan of ECL+ races anyway.

So, here's a break down of what I'm considering for each slot:

Warrior: Dwarven Fighter, Human Paladin, Elven Ranger
Priest: Dwarven Cleric, (Half-)Elven Druid
Wizard: Elven Mage, Gnome Illusionist, Half-Elven Bard (which I know is technically a Rogue, but see below)
Thief: Halfling Thief (not much to do here)

So, I started with the classic Dwarven Fighter, Human Cleric, Elven Mage, and Halfling Thief, but discarded it for two reasons. First, I want a stronger faceman on point. Second, it's hard enough to keep a mage fed with spells. They over-level compared to spell access, even more so with only four members in the party.

The concept became a Human Paladin, Dwarven Cleric, Half-Elven Bard, and Halfling Thief. I'm kinda iffy about having a bard be my only arcane caster, but the higher level spells are not that big of a deal in IWD1, and there are a ton of great bard-only items, so I think it would work.

However, I'm not sure if this would work for IWD2. I remember less about that game than I do about IWD1, but I know that the Bard spellcasting is more like a Sorceror's, and their spells are more of a mix of Wizard and Priest, so I don't think it would fill the same role.

Another take on this was an Elven Ranger, Human Druid, Half-Elven Bard, and Halfling Thief. The idea being more thematic with all characters being more nature-oriented. The Bard would be built to be a skald-type. Not necessarily a good idea functionally, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Any thoughts on this concept? And, if it doesn't really work for IWD2, what would you suggest for a party with this criteria (all single-classed, no two of the same race, limit of 4 members) for IWD2. Thanks.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited November 2016
    Hey there

It is perfectly doable. You've got a tank/damage dealer , a healer/buffer , a spellcaster/buffer/item identifier and a thief/trapmaster. I would give you some hints, though :

1-Since your paladin is going to do most of the hack and slash ,stock up on healing AND magical potions! I don't know if you're a hoarder , but potions of invulnerability, giant strength, speed and heroism will REALLY make quite a difference.

2- The cleric's buffs can also easily increase everyone's thac0 and damage (you can also pick a kit which is possible to take in IWD2 , such as Tempus, Lathander or Talos if you wish) . That way everyone can make a difference in combat, but I still suggest the use of ranged weapons by the other three (which still get the damage and thac0 bonus). Also, these buffs usually don't last more than a few rounds , so cast them during the hardest battle in a dungeon .

3-Start having your thief specialize in trap setting. Since there aren't many locks and traps early, that will make him way more useful at the begining. Also, the game has really amazing crossbows and slings, so I would give these a proficiency point as well.

4-The bard can work well as arcane spellcaster, but only if you concentrate on the most useful spells that can be cast only once (due to limited memorization) .

I would consider three types: Magic and elemental damage for powerful undead such as mummies , specific protections such as shield , mirror image and stoneskin , and buffers such as haste and symbol (trust me, symbol:courage and symbol:hope last for a lot of rounds and really benefit the party. I'm afraid there's little room for summonings until you've got several spell slots, but on the other hand there's a bard item which summons warriors =D

5-Finally, this may sound a bit obvious but I don't know how experienced you are, so in most difficult battles use the best you have (including items , ammunition and potions) and stock up fire damage ammunition and items for the trolls (your bard will never have enough spells to cover that up).

For IWD2 it might work just as well, if not better since 3rd edition characters fight better and have more attacks per round and feats as they advance through the game.

• inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Any party with a priest in it, will do fine in IWD2... :)
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    So, the bard will work as the only arcane caster for iwd2? What spell picks do you recommend?
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    I never tried a bard in IWD2, so I couldn't say – and in any case it has been a while since I played that game. I just remember that clerics were pretty effective thanks to their buff spells.

In IWD1, bards are great though.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Kneller said:

So, the bard will work as the only arcane caster for iwd2? What spell picks do you recommend?

Well, yes and no. My advice is that in IWD2 you are definitely going to need area spells such as web to control goblin hordes, and elemental damage for trolls and other tough creatures. Bards can do all of that to a lesser extent , so you're gonna have to select your spells well and possibly rely on scrolls and offensive wands and potions.