Skip to content

Stronghold quests

CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
I done almost all quest in the city in ch2. Sould I finally pay the fee to Gaelan Bayle or finish each stronhold? I have yet to rescue Nalia and do npc's quest, and two of the harder quests (the sewers and freeing the body of Kragnaxx). I feel I should finish Anomen's quest first, but I have nothing to do. I'm skald level 13.

Which stronghold is the easiest. I have already done De'Arnise stronghold quest....
Post edited by Cvijeta on

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The side quests aren't actually affected by the main quest at all. You can do them before you pay Gaelan, or after you return, or whatever you like. They'll be there for you.

Might lose the Thief stronghold if you take too long, though, as it has the only time-sensitive mechanic (paying your weekly dues). Can't remember if it's paused while you're away for story. Others should be a-okay though.
    ThacoBell
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Might lose the Thief stronghold if you take too long, though, as it has the only time-sensitive mechanic (paying your weekly dues). Can't remember if it's paused while you're away for story. Others should be a-okay though.

it is, when you go to the island, it pauses the quest for you, and then I think it restarts again or some such once you exit the underdark

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Might lose the Thief stronghold if you take too long, though, as it has the only time-sensitive mechanic (paying your weekly dues). Can't remember if it's paused while you're away for story.

It's not paused. You lose the Thief stronghold when you go to rescue Imoen.

Others should be a-okay though.

Are you sure about that? For example, I seem to recall that some of the Fighter stronghold tasks are also time-sensitive (if you've been summoned back to the Keep, but leave to rescue Imoen before responding to the summons).
    Cvijeta said:

I have already done De'Arnise stronghold quest....

Unless you've installed some mod to change this, you can earn only one stronghold, which will be the one appropriate to your protagonist's class (or a choice of which one to take in the case of dual- or multi-classed protagonists).

The initial stronghold quests are available to any protagonist, but they don't win you the stronghold (and consequent additional subquests) if it's not the right one for your class. So you've done the de'Arnise Hold quest, but that doesn't actually win you the stronghold (and its associated subquests) because you're not a warrior.

Since you're playing a Skald, you should do the Bard stronghold quest (in the Five Flagons playhouse) to earn your own stronghold. That then gives you several additional Bard-only subquests.

Usually (although not necessarily in every case), it makes sense to do your appropriate stronghold quest quite early, because the various associated subquests which follow tend to come at intervals of several days, so it's convenient to have some other stuff to be doing while you're waiting for the next stronghold subquest to begin.

Paying Gaelan Bayle will start Chapter 3 and thereby give you some new main-plot tasks, but that's not relevant to stronghold quests and other side-quests, it doesn't matter whether you do the side-quests in Chapter 2 or Chapter 3 (although Chapter 4 is a different matter ...)
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    I mean, honestly, it's all up to you. You're definitely strong enough to head into Chap 4, if that's what you're worrying about. If you've done Kangaxx you can kill liches and you're fine with pretty much any challenge untill at least Chap 6-7 or the other optional challenging fights.

Unless you've installed some mod to change this, you can earn only one stronghold, which will be the one appropriate to your protagonist's class (or a choice of which one to take in the case of dual- or multi-classed protagonists).

I think he only means the stronghold quests, as just another way of saying the large questlines, since all of those in chapter 2 are tied to different strongholds, not that he actually wants to get them and lord over them. Just how I read it though.
    Cvijeta
    Tenrecc said:

I think he only means the stronghold quests, as just another way of saying the large questlines, since all of those in chapter 2 are tied to different strongholds, not that he actually wants to get them and lord over them. Just how I read it though.

Yes, perhaps you're right. I wasn't sure exactly what he meant.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    edited November 2016
    Yeah, I was thinking Umar hills, -> windspear hills, -> sewers, ->trademeet (so I could do limited wish quest), ->planar sphere

Thoughts?

Is Anomen's romance paused when you travel out of city?
    Cvijeta said:

Is Anomen's romance paused when you travel out of city?

No.

Romances are paused whenever you enter a dungeon, and throughout Chapters 4 & 5, but not merely by travelling out of the city.
    Cvijeta