Skip to content

Issues regarding party and new people wanting to join

stealthmodestealthmode Member Posts: 22
I'm curious. I have grabbed the first people I came across when I first started playing, but appear to be running into some issues with them. Party is me ( Ranger, currently level 5 ), Khalid, Jaheira, Montaron, Imoen, and Xzar.

Khalid is awesome, although I wish I could've respecced his proficiencies to heavy crossbow/two hand sword from the start.
Jaheira seems challenged with 5 lvl 1 clws and no cmw yet, getting into content that requires 2 heals to one hit atm. Seems a bit challenged to heal with her.
Montaron is a wasted character for me, as he is wearing fighter gear for the better ac, and using 2 hand sword+heavy crossbow as well ( fighter/thief).
Imoen is an awesome thief, but won't dual class her to cleric cause don't want to restrict the +1 weapons, and proficiencies I've chosen for her ( she is awesome with +1 short sword/+1 shortbow ).
Xzar is a good necro, though he's currently only able to cast level 2 spells. His current spellset includes 3 mgc msl, 1 prism orb, 2 sleep, 1 clr spray, knock, dispel, and named fire spell (lvl 2). That line of fire spell was tricky as hell to learn to use properly. Once learned he can walk around sending anything to near death condition. Including teammates, lol. Had to learn to move people out of his way.

The problem (s) I'm encountering after clearing "most" of the overland areas ( minus durlags tower, land south of it, and cloak wood areas ) are the other people who want to join the party. I know I want to replace montoran, as he's only pretending to be a fighter atm. And possibly Jaheira, as her druid heals are the only reason I keep her atm. But when I come across new people, it doesn't even hint at what class they are.

What is even more frustrating is that they mention quests, but the only way to accept the quest is to lose a party member I've already spent so much time in game leveling up.

For example, I'm on day 120+, little over 20k gp atm, most single class are lvl 5. Dual class lvl 3 or 4. And only jaheira, and Montaron are true multiclass. Hesitant to dual class Imoen cause don't want her losing weapon choices if I went thief/cleric. And don't want to lose the xp invested in Montaron /Jaheira.

The struggle is real.

My question (s) are:
Is there anyway to do the quests for the non party people in game without them joining the party?
And is there a way to transfer experience to people who would replace the 2 mentioned party members?
Lastly, how do I determine what potential party member is what class?

I've left a trail of people that I have avoided that could join. Found a really annoying bug too. Have to completely exit the game and reload, reload save in order to get the drop party member window to go away once you mistakenly find and go through dialogue with someone who forces to join your party.

This is all on android v1.3.x cause the developer misclaims that there are limitations with mobile platforms. Even though most mobile devices have better specs than the computers this game was originally designed to run on.

Currently this isn't good enough for my pc or laptop imo, so keeping it on my older galaxy s4, which runs it just fine. I think the true limitation is the developers knowledge of coding for mobile platforms tbh. I've seen mobile mmorpg that have much more content then this game.

Comments

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited November 2016
    Answers:

1. No, they must join the party - HOWEVER - in SoD you *can* do their companion quests even if you're not traveling with them. I feel that's important to note.

2. No, in the stock game NPCs are a certain level based on when you recruit them. There are several mods out there that give them XP based on how much XP the main character has - but the stock behavior is to get them at 1-2-4-6th level based on the level of your CHARNAME when you find them. These iterations are pre-determined as far as how the character is built (you get no input on how thief talent points, for previous thief levels, are allocated for example).

You do realize this game is from 1998 right? Of course modern games have more content - they had to fit this whole game on a massive 6 disk set back in the day lol.

I should also note, on the companions, that in many cases, you've got people using items they're not accustomed to. If you've rebuilt Monteron to use 2h weapons for example, that's fine, but he's much more effective for much of the game using slings and short swords due to his proficiency points because you would have had to wait quite some time to get him 2 pips in 2h swords for example. The amount of magical 2h swords in the game is also rather low relative to other weapon types.

Jaheira *can* be your main divine caster, but she will always be inferior (as far as raw number of spells) to a non-multi-classed divine caster as their divine caster level will, typically, always be higher. She performs best as a tank or front-line melee character who can also heal herself and fellow front-liners while somebody else takes care of the rest of the divine casting duties.

Xzar, for example, with a tome of wisdom, can be multi-classed to a Cleric.

Lastly, the way you get rid of "paired" characters is to either murder them (either directly or indirectly by force attacking them until they are dead, or stripping them of all armor and have them frolic through a wilderness zone) or you can place them in the interior of a building you don't plan on going into again and just leave them there forever.

I prefer, for my own head canon, to take them to a bar first, get them super drunk, and then dump them in a peasant's house and skip town.
  • stealthmodestealthmode Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for the reply. The hardware comment was in response to a dev @beam dog stating they won't be updating android/ios versions above v1.3 ( to 2.3) because of alleged limitations.

Appreciate the detailed info, was afraid this would be an ugly port of this game. Considering I'm nearing the end of this campaign ( I think, compared my world map to full map online, and I've been just about everywhere ), not really going to find a good way to finish this without a healer/cleric.

I miss the days of Strategic Simulations being the only ad&d developer. There design was simple, yet effective, and allowed you to roll from scratch the entire party. Guess it's time to look this game up on c64 or dos emulator. Cause it doesn't seem too "enhanced" to me. More regression in function if anything.

I havent thought about multiclassing xzar, but then again, he can't even cast level 3 wizard spells yet, much less the higher wizard stuff. How would I go about multiclassing him, without losing ability to maintain his wiz tree progression?

Keep in mind I'm not on pc, but android version.
    edited November 2016
    Ideally, I'd like to dump Montoran for a full blooded cleric. If one is in game somewhere that would join the party. That I haven't accidentally killed somewhere. In my earlier quest for magic items, Ive taken advantage of a few named while barely in range. Got some nice magic gear from a few. But no clerics tmk. Are there any full blooded clerics around I could remove Montorans gear and go send him on a suicide mission? And replace with a full cleric?

I've had to restore from saves a few times when people tried to join, and full party, but don't know who is who far as classes.
    I found this list of npc. I've killed viconia for sure. Not sure about the rest. Looks like I'm going to research where that full blooded cleric is at the top of the list and dump Montoran for them. I have a lvl 5 thief ( Imoen) and Khalid is my tank/fighter. My ranger is solid as dps ( 18/95 str, 19 agi, normal con ). Just need those big heals.

https://levelskip.com/rpgs/The-Companion-Characters-of-Baldurs-Gate-Enhanced-Edition
    LoL. I bought the scroll, but never freed her. No wonder I couldn't find a good cleric. Haha. Time to go kill off montoran.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited November 2016
    If you've visited most of the locations you should be topping out around level 7-9 with most of your characters - but on the bright side that's more to discover for next time :D

If you're interested some of the forumites here constructed a rather lengthy listing of the NPCs in Baldur's Gate. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183524786 It's quite detailed.

It is 100% possible to just roll up your own party (or just a select number of additional party members and then add the base game's NPCs in for added fun) for Baldur's Gate as well if that's how you're treating the game. I believe, the "create party" functionality of the PC is not in your phone version of the game, but I could be wrong. When you create a new character there should be a "create party" option somewhere on that screen. If it's not, simply do as we had to do back in the day and create a multiplayer game and make yourself however many companions you wish.

If you're more interested in that style of gameplay too you would likely enjoy IWD:EE - though I don't know about the status of that game and if it has a mobile version or not (I still own a flip phone because I'm a luddite technophobe). BG1 is a compromise between a story-based RPG and the combat/tactical system. A neat mix. Icewind Dale is purely about the combat and you create your own party.
  • bryanw1995bryanw1995 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2016
    @OP: I understand your feelings on the game, I was really attached to the Gold Box set when I first started playing the BG series. However, keep at it, I've found over time that I enjoy much more just making myself a new class each playthrough and then using different combinations of companions in different playthroughs, too.

fyi, if you characters are only lvl 5 then you still have most of the game left to play. The city of Baldurs Gate has 7 or 8 maps all by itself, plus all the totsc content and everything else that you have to do to follow up on quests that you find in the city and in totsc. You should be pushing max experience by the time you kill Sarevok (I usually do the totsc stuff before killing him though).

If you're just looking for the most powerful team, then Coran is tough to beat as a F/T.

if you're looking to play gold box, then I use dosbox for them. I actually still have my old wizworx cd... with everything from por series, krynn, and even the 2 savage frontier games. I've played por so many times that I don't need the verification wheel anymore, I just kind of know, or, ahem, notnow, the answers within 3 tries typically.
    I'm progressing ok. Just cleared the farm near cloakwood, going to kill the named there next. Seen a huge city pop up northeast of me ( think that's waterdeep?).

Far as iwdee, looking at it in play store, but need to finish this before I install that.

I play a lot of the OG ad&d pc games on vice commodore 64 emulator. POR, krynn, etc. I'm an old school pen and paper dnd player. Started around 10yo, 31yrs ago. We had the red book, and the blue book ( basic/expert). I graduated to ad&d 2e in the early 90s, then started playing SSI based ad&d games on my commodore. Fast forward 2 decades, playing everquest 2, got bored cause the current developer literally ruined that game.

So I'm on mobile, and laptop using emulator, playing older ad&d games. I was in dungeons and dragons online, but that was so disappointing it made me cringe.

I also play a few pen and paper sessions occasionally on roll20.net still.

And yeah, mobile is very limited. No party creation. Just your main character. And far as MP, it asks for a remote host ip/network address when you attempt to load that route. Won't let me use 127.0.0.1 or my external ip for that, just gives a message no network session detected when you try to load MP. So no worries, I got my main character built at least.

Rest of the party is set. Xzar finally got fireball. LoL. I'm still learning timing on that. I gave the new cleric the +2 Warhammer I found, rest of my party likes to fight from range. She charges in all Gung ho, usually right as the fireball is going off. Haha.

The ankhegs are a real pita on the farm map. Next quest there says there's a cleric of the evil sea god disrupting fishing. Either going to do that quest, or finish the cloakwood main quest progression up. Not sure yet. Took a break from it for tonight.

Got a few other quests I can't figure out, but Google is my friend.

Thanks for the replies. And recommendations.
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    NW, you mean? That is Baldur's Gate itself.
    Ah ok. Guess I'll be going to the big city soon. Got cloakwood, durlags tower, and one or 2 unnamed lands left in the overland area. Then a gate/bridge icon, and BG. Nice to hear that BG itself is a multi quest/map area. Was thinking I was nearing the end of the game.
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    You are only about half way through, give or take.