Skip to content

How I Play LoB (Related to my Other Thread)

FionordequesterFionordequester Member Posts: 41
Prologue:

1) Create a Male, Half-Elf, Chaotic Good Fighter/Mage/Thief named Abdel. Has 18/?? STR, 18 DEX, 18 CON, 9 INT, 3 WIS, and 18 CHARISMA (only technically need 14, but then I'd need to cast Friends all the time). Start with the Find Familiar and Shield spells, put 2 Procs into Crossbow and Scimitar, and start with 60 in Pick Locks and 25 in Hide In Shadows.

2) Summon Fairy Dragon for an automatic 22+ HP boost. Loot that 1000G Gem in 2nd floor of Candlekeep (headcanon says that's Abdel's room). Buy Heavy Crossbow, Helmet, Large Shield, Ninja-To + Wakizashi, and 20 Bolts. Get Protection from Evil from Elvenhair, cast Shield, and clear out all the quests while going counter-clockwise around Candlekeep.

Chapter 1:

1) Go south to High Hedge to avoid recruiting Imoen. Spam Quick Saves and Hide In Shadows while getting Nashkel on the map. Go to Thalantyr, buy the Blind, Protection from Petrification, Friends, Identify, and Invisible spells.

2) Get Nashkel, Shipwreck Coast and Red Canyons on the map, then head back north to Lion's Way. Avoid fights while looting the corpse of Gorion and everybody he took down with him. Then go east to Coast Way while getting the 500G gem. Get the Ring of Evermemory from Friendly Arm Inn.

(memorize 2x Protection from Petrification spells, and try to get a nap in before Step 4)

3) Get Peldvale and Fishing Village on the map, and go south to Nashkel. Talk to Marl for the 900 EXP, get South Beregost Road on the map, and head east to the Temple. Buy a Stone to Flesh scroll, get Lars Wood on the Map, and head east to Mutamin's Garden.

(keep Quick Saving throughout Step 4)

4) Recruit Korax, and explore the top half of the map to find 1-2 Lesser Basilisks. Lure them away from their other brethren so that Abdel can slash them to bits with his dual swords after Korax has paralyzed them. Do this until you come across Mutamin.

5) Have Abdel spam Hide In Shadows right outside his range while sending Fairy Dragon and Korax to kill any Lesser Basilisks close to Mutamin and his Greater Basilisk. Neither he nor his Greater Basilisk aggro until you attack him, so we take this opportunity to clear out the northeast Lesser Basilisks; and if Abdel can roll a successful Hide In Shadows, he can contribute by slipping past Mutamin and spamming Crossbow Bolts.

(put 35 in Hide in Shadows, then put the rest in Find Traps)

6) Use the Stone to Flesh Scroll on that one woman, Kill Greater Basilisks with Korax and Fairy Dragon (and Abdel, if he rolled a successful Hide in Shadows). Then move on to Mutamin himself (Korax should paralyze him before he can get up Mirror Image).

7) Re-cast Protection from Petrification, and clear out the Basilisks in the middle of the map. Be careful though; Korax will often turn heel at the tail end of this Step, so try to keep him out of your field of vision, or get him killed by having him take on multiple Basilisks. Either way, Abdel should have about...9333 EXP in each class?

8) In any case, memorize 2x Invisibles, rest up to get them, add Gullykin and Spider Wood to the map, then head on over to Fishermen's Village. Do the Farmer Brun and Tenya quests in order to get an extra 4000 EXP; that should boost you over the 32000 EXP threshold.

9) Buy some spells for Imoen and Dynaheir. Recruit her at Lion's Way, put all her points in Hide in Shadows (Abdel has the lockpicking and traps covered), then Dual Class her into a Mage (start with Blind and Shield). Beat up Tarnesh by putting Shield on Imoen so that Tarnesh wastes all his charges on her. Recruit Jaheira and Khalid.

FROM THERE ON OUT...:

1) My general path is to go straight to Nashkel, then the Gnoll Stronghold while doing every quest that's convenient to do. Neera is recruited for her ability to cast 3x Invisibilities immediately, Minsc is skipped until Dynaheir's recruitment, and a whole host of really cheesy strats are used along the way. Said cheesy strats include...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a) Jaheira and Khalid are unrecruited every time I get an EXP reward from an NPC; this is so Imoen can cast 1x Invisible by the time Dynaheir is recruited.

b) Using an invisible Imoen and Jaheira to body block the Huge Spiders in Landrin's House. Abdel lures them out, goes past Jaheira and Imoen, and then snipes the Huge Spiders while they stand still in front of Jaheira and Imoen.

c) Jaheira kites two of the assassin's trying to kill Neera while your other party members bum rush the wizard.

d) Luring the South Beregost Road Ogrillon's out one-at-a-time so that you can kill them one-by-one.

e) Casting Invisible on ALL of your party members every 24 hours, so that ambushes can't kill you.

f) Dynaheir is recruited while spamming Invisible with Neera; that way I don't have to fight a single Gnoll.

g) Naps are taken inside the Nashkel Mines themselves while everyone is Invisible

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the game sort of goes on like that. Hopefully this thread is a good reflection of where I'm coming when I suggest everything I suggest in the re-balancing threads. Have a nice day!

Comments

• LordVemLordVem Member Posts: 28
    I don't know how cheesy you like doing things, but I noticed you grabbed scimitar profs so I thought I'd mention this. Go to the area NW of Nashkel where Drizzt is fighting gnolls. On LoB, Drizzt does not fight the gnolls at all and just lets them kill him. I suspect its because LoB adds +1 apr, which pushes his apr to 5 1/2 which the game is not designed for. Regardless, he doesn't attack at all. Just wait till hes dead and take his sweet loot.
  • FionordequesterFionordequester Member Posts: 41
    Eh...that goes against my Alignment ethics. I have a loose, very flexible RP in my head when I play the games; but it's an RP nonetheless. I want to play a good character, so...letting Drizzt die would kind of be at odds with that :D !
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    About basilisks area, is pseudo-dragon familiar immune to petrification in BG:EE? I read some stats about it, but I am not sure if they were for BG2:EE or BG:EE
  • FionordequesterFionordequester Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2016
    Yep! That's part of what makes it so great! They're probably meant to be relatively dangerous enemies, but they're just big walking bags of EXP instead! And yet, they're deadly enough to where a new player isn't likely to challenge them.

And I can still justify it from an RP perspective by saying "Abdel doesn't want to go to the Friendly Arm Inn, because he saw fricken Tarnesh there, and decided 'it doesn't matter where I go, I'll never be safe; so why drag anyone else into this?". He then would go off on a quest of exploration, training himself as far as he could go on his own.

After a time, he realizes that he's learned everything from Thalantyr he could, and now has access to magic like the almighty Invisible spell. THAT'S when he's finally ready to let other people adventure with him; because now he knows he won't fail to protect them like he did Gorion. This is how waiting till he's got 32000 EXP is justified.

It's odd; this is the only game I ever RP in like this, but; I find it enjoyable.