Skip to content

How to obtain v. 2.x for Mac

tim_newtontim_newton Member Posts: 9
edited December 2016 in Troubleshooting
Hi, I just purchased BG:EE for Mac from beamdog.com (see my replies below). I have OS X Sierra and the app crashes a lot! How do I get the 2.x version for mac? My game says vers 1.1.13 is the latest, but I keep seeing notes on this web site about v 2.x. When I go to the game page, it mentions buying updates. What do I do? I can't play the game. Please help and provide the proper links. Thank you.
Post edited by tim_newton on

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    1.1.13? That's years out of date. Have you bought an old disk version, perhaps? (Or otherwise, wherever did you find such an old version?)

Current version for PC and Mac is 2.3 (although mobile/tablet versions are currently lagging).

So far as I know, updates are free on Mac, same as they are on PC. What "game page" is asking you to pay?

However, if you're on a disk version ... um ... I'm not sure how you update it, or even whether you can. I'm sure there'll be someone else here who can clarify the situation.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    There was a bug in the sound system retroactively introduced in Mac OS El Capitan that causes some stability problems, especially when moving between maps. You could try disabling the 'ambient sounds' by lowering that volume slider to 0 (in audio options) and disabling all 'action' sounds in corresponding options page. This worked well for me - although I have not played too much since upgrading to Sierra to confirm that there are no new issues with the latest OS.

As noted above, the 2.x series has not been submitted to the Mac App store, as BeamDog want to have the tablet versions (iOS and Android) ready before looking into running the gauntlet of App Store reviews. As there is no timeline for the tablet releases yet, there is no clue when the Mac patch will be made available to the rest of us.
  • tim_newtontim_newton Member Posts: 9
    Note, I did buy the app from Beamdog directly 2 days ago (Dec 14, 2016)
    edited December 2016
    I bought the app online form beamdog.com after reading through the comments on the App Store. When you click the link to download the Mac version, you get version 1.1.13-777. That link is what appears when I go to My Account > My Games > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition > Download - Mac
    If, on this page, you click Games > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition > 2.0 patch, you are directed to a page that only allows you to purchase the Siege of Dragonspear, not download any patch.
    edited December 2016
    If someone has a more recent link than what is available on my account (BaldursGateEnhancedEdition-1.1.13-777.dmg), please share! Thanks.
    Hi all, this morning I see that my version is now 2.3.x; not sure why the update finally took hold.

Thanks all. Still getting spontaneous quitting and will try the tip to disable sounds.
    My app has now updated to 2.3.x; not sure why it took so long. It still crashes on Mac Sierra quite often even after disabling sounds. Will look on forums for other solutions. Thanks everyone.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Excellent, I'm glad to see that you've got the right version now.

I'm guessing that maybe for some reason the Mac version has to start by downloading the old version and then updating afterwards, although I hadn't been aware of that and don't understand why ... but I'm not a Mac expert. The cumulative update is large, basically it has to re-download the entire game from scratch and overwrite everything, so it can take hours if your connection is slow or congested ... perhaps it was simply doing that in background without making you aware of it. But whatever, it's sorted itself out now.

Yes, there have been some issues reported with Mac Sierra, I think mostly to do with Apple's new Gatekeeper security suite not allowing you to save your settings file (baldur.lua). There are discussions and workarounds in other threads.
    edited December 2016
    I found this solution that worked for me in another thread. FYI for others.

I was having crashing issues with Baldur's Gate:EE too. It appears on Sierra, the "Documents" folder is hidden (at least for me because it's now on iCloud) and that the app created an alias to a non-existent directory. I created an actual folder named "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" and now my game works.