Skip to content

What exactly is a "Neutral" character in the context of DnD?

I ask because I always THOUGHT it meant one of two things...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) You're a person that's not good enough to be called "good", but not bad enough to be called "evil". So basically, a 6 year old kid who's not fully mature yet, or a 36 year old guy who's been pampered and spoiled for their whole lives.

2) You're a relativist who doesn't necessarily believe in hard definitions of "good" or "evil". You believe the pursuit of balance is more important than the pursuit of righteousness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, I've never actually played any DnD besides Baldur's Gate, and the "Neutral" characters I've been finding don't seem t really fit in to my preconceived notions of "Neutral". Off the top of my head...

1) Jaheira's always talking about what Gorion would, or would not, do. She's even making statements like "Don't invite Dorn into your party! He's bad, and suffering his company would grossly contradict Gorion's teachings".

2) Speaking of Jaheira, her and Khalid are practically bending over backwards to help Abdel, despite there being absolutely NOTHING in it for them. They're acting out of kindness, and out of obligation to Gorion...I wouldn't think a Neutral character would be THAT committed to "do unto others as they do to you".

3) There's a group of Druids in the Cloakwood Forest who want to kill a merchant and his two buddies. Why? Because they've, apparently, committed crimes against nature, and must be punished for their transgressions. Seems to ME that said Druids are making some pretty hard and fast rules on what they consider "justice" and what they consider to be "crimes". They act like religious fanatics, when I would think a "neutral" character would be the exact opposite.

4) Carbos and Shank are APPARENTLY "neutral"...and yet are saying stuff like "I've a blade with your name on it!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So...what's the deal? Is that Baldur's Gate not having perfect writing? Or is there something I'm legit missing? Please let me know!

Comments

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    Neutral in the context of D&D is kind of a complicated position that almost always depends on the group of players at the table as it were.

But the easy justification is .... although neutral people don't necessarily behave as if they have a preference towards good and evil they would, in general, prefer not to live in evil circumstances lol.

You have a range of neutral characters....

LN characters tend to regard the law (or their own personal interpretation of what the law is/should be) as being superior to considerations of good and evil. For example if adultery is illegal, even if the results of the adulterer being punished would be "evil" or negative, the LN character (so long as their own personal moral code didn't interdict them) would follow the rule of the law. Whereas a LG characters often let "good" supersede the law, so that if a certain law's application would cause "bad" things to happen the LG character would likely circumvent the law in some way.

Neutral/True Neutral. True Neutral character's philosophy is often circular; that is, if you were to allow the good guys to eliminate all evil, they would eventually become evil themselves in doing so. So it's best not to be *too* good - Jaheira even says "Perhaps this group needs not quite as much help as I thought" which could be seen as approval (at high rep) but could also be interpreted as her wanting to be elsewhere because you're having too large of an influence on the sword coast. TN's don't keep a "good deeds/bad deeds" list and make sure it's perfectly balanced, they just try not to change the status quo unless it's heavily bent one way or the other.

Regular neutral - they're mostly in it for themselves irrespective of the law or good - but they likely wouldn't commit especially dastardly deeds out of self-interest. They do tend to have a normalized pattern of behavior. This didn't really exist in 2nd ED.

CN: They tend to have no regard for the law whatsoever, or normalized rules of behavior/etiquette. They also don't care *that much* of what becomes of their actions - whether they're good or bad - but they're not likely to take the "evil" option automatically simply because they can (because that would be evil).

1. Dorn has a deal with a demon to steal souls. Your soul is especially valuable.

2. There are Harper motives + loyalty to Gorion + promises they made to him.

3. Druids exist outside of "established" law by establishing their own - their neutrality exists because they don't regard normalized rules and have their own instead. Also those Druids in the Cloakwood aren't exactly on the up-and-up as far as druids go if you talk to Faldorn or happen to have Jaheira in your party when you go through there.

4. Carbos and Shank saw a chance to make some quick money so they took a contract to kill you. There's nothing necessarily evil about that. They don't hate you, they just wanna make some money.
  • qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    edited December 2016
    Gallenger said:

4. Carbos and Shank saw a chance to make some quick money so they took a contract to kill you. There's nothing necessarily evil about that. They don't hate you, they just wanna make some money.

That is evil.

As to why some characters seemingly do not align with their alignments - developers just had more pressing issues than to sit and discuss every minor character. There's a specific mod called Oversight that goes through BG2 creatures are tries to assign sensible alignment values.
  • PentiumDPentiumD Member Posts: 62
    In all my characters i tend to choose lawful neutral i obey the law but thats about it. :smile:
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    LN doesn't necessarily means adherence to the law of society but to a code of conduct -- a monk living in seclusion devoting his life to training and meditation would be LN.

Non-druid TN are inherently self-interested but not malevolent. They aren't above breaking the law, they aren't above doing the occasional evil act but they'll try to avoid it if they can help it. A TN mercenary can very well slip into NE if they do evil too consistently. Your average commoner leans toward TN too: they care about their daily lives and that's it.

CN are often hedonists. They do whatever the hell they want and damn the consequences. Unlike CE they aren't especially violent or murderous but they can still be extremely dangerous if they're motivated enough. Narcissism tends to be a big red flag you're dealing with a CN character but it's not restricted to them of course.

My post is more based on 3e where any alignment can denote a wide range of beliefs and behaviors. 2e was more restrictive and @Gallenger's post more accurate to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I feel like "good" is measured more in the golden rule than in any "excise evil" in practice. Treating others well does far more to limit evil than any kind of zealotry.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I wonder why Paladins are so often written as lawful stupid.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Because a lot of people are like that in real life.
    But Fantasy! D:
    Well for some form of clarity. In D&D morality you have a conflict between specific actions in the moment and behavior patterns over a long period.

You can still be neutral and take a contract to murder a, to your knowledge, innocent man, and still be neutral. If it becomes a regular thing, and you end up being an assassin, then an alignment change to NE would be in order. The act itself isn't good or necessarily neutral by any means, but if the character doesn't engage in this sort of behavior regularly it wouldn't be outside of their alignment. The rules *are* quite different for characters who have certain ethos to stick to - Paladins, blackguards, some clerics, Rangers, and some druids. Any sort of act in the moment that violates their ethos is prohibited and there will be repercussions for violating those ethos'.

In a regular game environment the DM is ultimately the one who draws the line on when a neutral character has engaged in overtly good or overtly evil acts too many times to be considered neutral any longer. It's also easier to figure out around a table because the underlying motivations and tendencies of the player are often a lot more clear.
    Tiax is a good example of a wanna be evil conquerer. And i like his back story of a troubled individual, Who got into lot of trouble. To Tiax the world needs to be cleansed :lol:
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited December 2016
    Neutral: take risks to help close friends or family. Help strangers if convenient or if rewarded. Hurt others if your life depends on it. That is also how animals will behave in general.
    Good: sacrifice yourself to help others
    Evil: sacrifice other to help yourself

It's easy to be good when you can reload. In real life most people are neutral. Another name for neutral would be Good-Lite.

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited December 2016

Gallenger said:

That is evil.
    Not necessarily - they're from Baldur's Gate, and probably were told by someone (likely not Sarevok but still in the know about The Big Plan, given their flunkitude) that "Oh, hey, by the way, there's this kid in Candlekeep that fits a prophecy about bringing ruin to the region..."

Not that you could tell by their attitudes.

And now I'm curious as to what books they paid to gain entry...
  • qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    edited December 2016
    Gallenger said:

You can still be neutral and take a contract to murder a, to your knowledge, innocent man, and still be neutral.

Well, no. Alignment is inherent, actions are only manifestations of the alignment. An evil person is someone who believes it's ok to perform evil acts.
    On the other hand, it's perfectly plausible for a good person to sacrifice innocents to save his own hide in a moment of weakness. It's called "do what you have to do". As long as he doesn't believe what he did is ok, and it weights on his consience, and he tries to atone - he can be considered good.
    Pokota said:

Not necessarily - they're from Baldur's Gate, and probably were told by someone (likely not Sarevok but still in the know about The Big Plan, given their flunkitude)

I'm not sure what do you mean by the big plan, but these two loons are obviously at the very very bottom of criminal hierarchy. If you believe that anyone would've trusted them any info besides what's absolutely essential for their task, I don't have arguments to refute.
    If they were tricked into believing that you're a monster and the only way to save thousands of lifes is to kill you, then it's not evil. But it's not "a chance to make some quick money" in that case.
    Post edited by qwerty123456 on
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Carbos & Shank are exactly what Sanadal Gwist later tells you they were - a pair of moronic goons.

Even if they had the wealth (which I'm sure they don't) to afford the sort of book which Candlekeep demands for entry, even a moronic goon wouldn't spend lots of money merely to earn a minor bounty. The only way I can see to make sense of their presence in Candlekeep is to assume that they got in by taking serving jobs - stableboys or whatever. (Obviously Candlekeep's menial staff must be exempt from the entry charge, else they wouldn't have any servants.)

As for their moral alignment ... they probably ought to have been assigned as Evil because they're goons, but perhaps the original developers assigned them as Neutral because they're so very moronic that they're like animals, incapable of understanding Good and Evil. Or maybe they were Neutral as a default because the original developers simply forgot to assign them to any alignment!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

I ask because I always THOUGHT it meant one of two things...

1) You're a person that's not good enough to be called "good", but not bad enough to be called "evil". So basically, a 6 year old kid who's not fully mature yet, or a 36 year old guy who's been pampered and spoiled for their whole lives.

2) You're a relativist who doesn't necessarily believe in hard definitions of "good" or "evil". You believe the pursuit of balance is more important than the pursuit of righteousness.

But, I've never actually played any DnD besides Baldur's Gate, and the "Neutral" characters I've been finding don't seem t really fit in to my preconceived notions of "Neutral". Off the top of my head...

1) Jaheira's always talking about what Gorion would, or would not, do. She's even making statements like "Don't invite Dorn into your party! He's bad, and suffering his company would grossly contradict Gorion's teachings".

Dorn literally gets superpowers from a demon. He passively radiates a palpable sense of dread and badness. Arguably, the entire world is a worse place simply because he exists. Good or Neutral, not a lot of people are going to want to be around that.
    2) Speaking of Jaheira, her and Khalid are practically bending over backwards to help Abdel, despite there being absolutely NOTHING in it for them. They're acting out of kindness, and out of obligation to Gorion...I wouldn't think a Neutral character would be THAT committed to "do unto others as they do to you".
    Jaheira and Khalid are indebted and close friends of Gorion. Neutral characters tend to mainly care about themselves and their loved ones.
    3) There's a group of Druids in the Cloakwood Forest who want to kill a merchant and his two buddies. Why? Because they've, apparently, committed crimes against nature, and must be punished for their transgressions. Seems to ME that said Druids are making some pretty hard and fast rules on what they consider "justice" and what they consider to be "crimes". They act like religious fanatics, when I would think a "neutral" character would be the exact opposite.
    They are religious fanatics, but for a religion that is decidedly focused on the preservation of nature's balance. The Druids are Neutral because of their impartial devotion to defending woodland areas from those who would despoil them. Kill too many deer and you risk putting the deer population in danger of decline or extinction, so you've got to pay for your carelessness. Also, the hunters killed one of the druids.
    4) Carbos and Shank are APPARENTLY "neutral"...and yet are saying stuff like "I've a blade with your name on it!"
    I wasn't aware these two were Neutral. Perhaps they're Neutral Evil? If they are Lawful/True/Chaotic Neutral, then perhaps this is their first time attempting to murder somebody in cold blood. They might have been okay guys before the temptation of tons of gold from Sarevok swayed them to do evil.

• FionordequesterFionordequester Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2016
    For those wondering, Carbos and Shank are listed as "True Neutral" in the EE Keeper program (allows you to edit save files, including the enemies you fight in them).

Anyways, thank you so much for all the responses guys! I think I have a clearer understanding of what the alignment systems mean now. So basically, if we were to fit DC/Marvel characters into the alignments, we'd have something like...

Lawful Good - Jim Gordan

Neutral Good - Batman

Chaotic Good - The Punisher

Lawful Neutral - Judge Dredd

True Neutral - The Watchers

Chaotic Neutral - Mister Mxyzptlk

Lawful Evil - Doctor Doom

Neutral Evil - Lex Luthor

Chaotic Evil - The Joker

I think you have punisher wrong he should be Lawful Neutral

Lex is Lawful Evil

Doctor Doom is Neutral Evil

Batman is Chaotic Good - Does some insane shit.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    You can't just define a character with countless iterations to a single one :V
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

You can't just define a character with countless iterations to a single one :V

Of course I can: Awful Boring

I regret nothing
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
  • FionordequesterFionordequester Member Posts: 41
    Doesn't Doctor Doom own a nation? That would put him on Lawful Evil, wouldn't it?
    edited December 2016
    That's for Clerics - Paladins are more loosely based on Military Orders of the crusades like the Templar, Hospitalers, Teutonic Knights, and so on.

In general they were armed lay people and not actual clergymen (clerics vs. paladins) although these lay people often took various religious vows and participated heavily in the liturgy of their monastic order. In they end they were still bands of armed men lol. They also occasionally subordinated themselves to strictly secular figures (in D&D terms that'd be like the local lord asking for aid from paladins to come slay some nasty-nasties on his land, and then the paladins just stay forever).

Some of the orders also branched out from purely military affairs to obtain substantial land holdings and some also worked very heavily in charitable areas (hence the word hospital).

It also depends, much like the monastic/military orders, which god/concept/idea the paladin belongs to as to how they behave - or at least ought to behave.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Gallenger - Paladins are not based primarily on temple knights/crusaders but the romantic knights of medieval literature and epics. Roland, Lancelot, Gawain, those kind of guys.

@Fionordequester - Being a ruler has nothing to do with whether one is Lawful or not.