Skip to content

Recommend a mod for me

Going to play BG2 again and want to make things interesting. What mods should I install? I will install SCS for BG2 and unfinished business for BG2, but what else would you recommend?
Thanks for the suggestions :)

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I find it amply interesting as it is. So I recommend adding nothing!
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    It very much depends on what you're interested in. You can take a look at this list of BG2EE compatible mods to see what's available.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The holy trifecta:

SCS
    ItemRevisions
    SpellRevisions

I cannot play without them anymore.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2017
    You might want to look into Tweaks Anthology. Even just minor components like

Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items
    Give Cespenar Cromwell's Recipes

Can improve the gameplay experience.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

The holy trifecta:

SCS
    ItemRevisions
    SpellRevisions

Its funny, because I specifically avoid those mods.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/npcstrongholds/

The really nice thing about this mod is that it's lore friendly, and not just "want stronghold - get stronghold". This means that if Imoen is the only mage in your group she will tell the cowled wizard to stick the planar sphere up his arse, and teleport the guy to somewhere outside the game never to be heard from again. Korgan is a fighter, but is denied Nalias keep due to his evil tendecies. You can give anomen your opinion on what to do as the leader of the temple of helm, and you might convince him to do things your way or you might not.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    ThacoBell said:

Its funny, because I specifically avoid those mods.

To each their own. Those mods do something very specific, and I happen to enjoy that. Not everyone does. There are tons of ways to customize the game, and naturally not every variant works for everyone equally. That's why it's customization :P
  • HaranHaran Member Posts: 66
    argent77 said:

It very much depends on what you're interested in. You can take a look at this list of BG2EE compatible mods to see what's available.

I'm interested in expanding and adding new dialogues (in BG1 there was a "banters" mod), having new and more challenging encounters (that's what SCS is for, right?), restored content (unfinished business), and teaks that make the game more fun (is there anything that makes inventory less annoying?).
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    New dialogues: There are various banter packs, even between mod npcs as well, for example at Spellhold Studios. Dearnise romance at Pocketplane is an example of a worthwhile expansion to a canon character.

Almateria's Restoration project, at Spellhold, adds various bits and bobs.

More challenging encounters: SCS should be sufficient on its own first time out, unless you want to try Ascension on top.

Tweaks mods e.g. Tweaks Anthology are widely available.

I have gained a great deal of pleasure from some of the better NPCs... e.g. Kivan & Angelo.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Haran said:

argent77 said:

I'm interested in expanding and adding new dialogues (in BG1 there was a "banters" mod), having new and more challenging encounters (that's what SCS is for, right?), restored content (unfinished business), and teaks that make the game more fun (is there anything that makes inventory less annoying?).
    I believe Tweaks Anthology adds more containers to the game to help with inventory.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Tweaks Anthology is tied for my favorite mod. Highly recommended.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

The holy trifecta:

SCS
    ItemRevisions
    SpellRevisions

Those are for if you play the game for more of a challenge, I figure. If you prefer character interaction, then things like Unfinished Business and the NPC mods might be better. I think Isra, Angelo, and Tyris Flare are some of the better ones.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited January 2017
    in terms of npc mods. as long as you ignore the big 4 [ Saerileth,Tsujatha,Yasraena, and chole.] you should be fine.

i'd recommend the friendship packs from spellhold studios . i've only really been through the yoshimo and Imoen ones and enjoyed them. gives imoen some dialogue after spellhold.

lava's mods are also pretty good.

edited January 2017
    Thanks a lot you guys/girls. So here are the mods I considered installing, but I'm not sure whether they are compatible and in what order they should be installed. Any advice here? I have BG2EE from GOG.

Banter packs
    IEP extended banters
    Unfinished business
    Almateria's restoration
    Keeping Yoshimo
    PPE
    Spell revisions
    Revised SCS (to be used with Spell revisions)
    aTweaks
    Quest pack
    NPC strongholds
    The tweaks anthology
    Item revisions
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I like item randomization mods. So I would recommend either from the item revisions mod - the store revisions part or I would install the item randomizer mod.
    What does the item randomization do?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Where can I download SpellRevision EE-friendly? The one I got won't install.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    item randomizer changes the location of magical items. So every time you play, you have a high change to not find items in the same location as the last game.
    It really helps replayability with respect to roleplaying (though not so much for powergaming).
    Raduziel said:

Same here. I tried this version: gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=download&do=confirm_download&id=970
    After I run it and choose [N]o when asked about the readme I get the message: this mod was designed for baldurs gate II and will not function on other games.

The holy trifecta:

SCS
    ItemRevisions
    SpellRevisions

You suggested I install spell revisions, and it looks really interesting, but this version I found does not install (see my previous comment). Do you know of a different version I can download?
    Raduziel said:

Ok I found this: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26517
    I'll try it out and see what happens
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited January 2017
    OP, could I borrow your thread for a moment please, as I have a similar question.

I'm coming to the end of TOB and playing SCS for the first time. Also I think UB but not sure if that installed correctly, not much seems to different though the odd thing crops up.
    Also the HD romance (which doesn't seem to clash with the Anomen one which is fun, I'm such a hussy.)
    This playthrough has been a delight.
    We are OP so playing SCS/insane and that's enough to throw up some challenging encounters.

I'm very tempted to just repeat the playthrough with hardly any changes.
    So I'm looking for recommendations for extra content, G3 anniversary mod, sellswords, ect for example.
    Including for BG.

(I've done SOD in this playthrough but can't work out how to import saved game from that to BG2 as I won't and don't want to upgrade from 1.6 for either BG or BG2, so imported from BG to BG2 and put SOD down to a dream sequence)

And can you install more than one if there are a few that people recommend as very enjoyable?

Thanks for any suggestions and thanks OP for letting me borrow your thread.