Skip to content

Compatibility Question

So, if I have BG1 ordered directly from Beamdog on my computer, and I were to get a Steam-resident version of BG2, would the two programs communicate for purposes of saved characters and the like?

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    The programs don't directly communicate (though they do so in a manual and indirect way through your filesystem), so it's no problem.

Your BG1:EE saves an' stuff are in ~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition, and the BG2:EE ones are in ~/Documents/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition. Just drop the BG1 save you want in BG2 from the save folder from one game into the other game's. Same for characters, portraits and whatever else you might be doing this with.
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    Copy that. Thank you.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I'm glad to discover that you're not really a former customer, @former_customer!

I'm glad to discover that you're not really a former customer, @former_customer!

Heh. Well, the Baldur's Gate and IWD stuff is grandfathered in. The real question with old games is whether or not I'm really going to play them. There just isn't enough time for much gaming. I'd almost pick up BG2 just to have the icon on my desktop. Good memories.

At least, I assume I could get a desktop icon if I picked it up through Steam. I don't play anything on Steam.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    The EE games are all DRM free. Even the Steam versions can be run directly from the baldur.exe.
    BillyYank said:

The EE games are all DRM free. Even the Steam versions can be run directly from the baldur.exe.

I think I'll use a couple of these games as an introduction to Steam and go look up DRM. Even if I'm not a huge gamer/techie, I should understand how some of this stuff works. Thanks, guys.